Always a Wasp

Author Topic: SURPRISE SURPRISE  (Read 7684 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
SURPRISE SURPRISE
« on: July 23, 2019, 11:28:04 AM »
Cipps. axed form training squad, not injured and not given a reason, well who would have seen that coming.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: SURPRISE SURPRISE
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:35:15 AM »
Ah, but now he doesn't play for Wasps, there will be a much bigger outcry.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
Eddie doesn't like another coach appointing himself!
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 12:11:55 PM »
I think the final 31 squad will be announced on the 12th but the prospects don't look good.

What I can't quite get my head around is the promotion of Heinz who is going to Italy but the size of the squad going to Italy is 37.. so presumably 6 will be axed from that 37.

I wonder if Heinz has ever played any time at 10?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
I think the final 31 squad will be announced on the 12th but the prospects don't look good.

What I can't quite get my head around is the promotion of Heinz who is going to Italy but the size of the squad going to Italy is 37.. so presumably 6 will be axed from that 37.

I wonder if Heinz has ever played any time at 10?

Sorry I would lay a bet that Eddie will still spring surprises on the final team squad.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else but the continual speculation on the final squad is getting very boring.
Until the final squad is announced, we don't know who's going & who's not. As Neil's says, I'm sure Eddie would love to spring a surprise or two with his final selections.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 01:25:28 PM »
The only observation I have - and its not about individuals in or out is this. A RWC is rarely a place for novice players - yet the squad still contains players with little or no experience at international level

He might like to spring a surprise - but that generally means the coach is gambling as looking at other RWC's it was pretty clear who the top teams were taking

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 01:45:02 PM »
The only observation I have - and its not about individuals in or out is this. A RWC is rarely a place for novice players - yet the squad still contains players with little or no experience at international level

This. Jones has been going on about experience, more or less, since he became coach. Yet, he is short of experienced players. At a tangent, does anyone know why he discarded Danny Care so abruptly.?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:47:14 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »

This. Jones has been going on about experience, more or less, since he became coach. Yet, he is short of experienced players. At a tangent, does anyone know why he discarded Danny Care so abruptly.?

Thank you. Bizarrely, Brown after being ignored for the AIs and 6Ns is back in the squad going to Italy along with Heinz and Joe C and McConnochie and Marchant who have little or no international experience and with Piers Francis who also hasn't been near recent teams?

Contrast to 2003 (yes I know - different times) when the late runner was Lewsey, an experienced Prem and Euro campaigner with lots of big game experience

I think Joe C will be first on the teamsheet by 2023 - but watching Bath games - teams like to attack his side as he still has lots to learn - least that's how it seems to me. And if you are taking Heinz, surely you take Cips?

We'll probably win at a canter now!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
Brown may have just been given a break in the leadup to a grueling RWC camp. Not the youngest anymore, same with Cole. Build some depth and rest some older heads.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 07:41:13 PM »
Take the point about international novices not going well at the RWC - that's probably why Cipriani won't go. It may be controversial but I think it's the right call. Really hoping Brown does go. I love Daly as a player at centre or wing but he's no full back.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
The big worry would be Cipriani going "missing" in a big crutial match like he has done in the past. Jones just cannot have that happen. However I suspect that with so many warm up matches there will be a fair few injuries. Knowing our luck it will be Joe and Brad.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 09:51:36 PM »
"The big worry would be Cipriani going "missing" in a big crutial match like he has done in the past. Jones just cannot have that happen.'

Which is a coaching issue.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 09:55:13 PM »
Or a lack of taking heed of coaching.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:11:56 PM »
Are you are correct? After 12 years of professional rugby, DC is incapable of accepting professional coaching advice and should not be near the England team?