Always a Wasp

Author Topic: France post RWC - the Wasps connection  (Read 1715 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
France post RWC - the Wasps connection
« on: September 03, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/02/shaun-edwards-france-world-cup-wigan

I see Shaun and Raphaël Ibañez will be in charge of France post RWC - that ought to be a concern for other teams...I'd bet on those two managing the resources France have as well as anyone - which for international rugby is a good thing - least in my opinion!

Given the Wasps connection....I'll admit to a potential soft spot for France from next 6Ns... :D

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: France post RWC - the Wasps connection
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
This was announced around the time we were supposed to be trying hard to get Shaun onboard. I remember thinking at the time that France were putting something quite strong together. I think Joe Worsley is also free after the WC.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
That passed me by a little - I knew we were after Edwards - if they got Joe too, that would be a more than decent backroom team! One I'd have fancied for England...

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »
I’ve always had a soft-spot for France.  On their day, they are just brilliant to watch - Their two knockout games against New Zealand in 1999 and 2007 were just incredible to watch. 

It’s just a shame they’ve not been able to make the most of their generous playing resources.  But hopefully with a more formalised coaching and playing structure as well as less mind-boggling selection policies (and picking players in their actual positions!) they’ll be a force again.

I’m all for more competitive tournaments.  I do worry a little for Ireland and Wales without Schmidt and Gatland.  Perhaps I should be more worried about post-Eddie England!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
Always my second team....