Always a Wasp

Author Topic: in the market for a fly half?  (Read 3212 times)

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
in the market for a fly half?
« on: October 01, 2019, 01:31:27 PM »
https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/33829/exeter-chiefs-hunt-for-successor-to-veteran-gareth-steenson/

Reading this article it appears that we are in the hunt for a Fly-half for next season... Do we think this is a successor for Gopps, or are we merely bolstering numbers?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: in the market for a fly half?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 01:43:56 PM »
It's interesting that Sarries are struggling to keep Malins. They seemed to be grooming him to be the next Alex Goode...

Also think this doesn't have weight, Exeter "struggled" to extend contracts with Nowell, Slade and Cowan-Dickie, so reckon Sarries will retain him. As much as I do like Malins, he'll stay at Sarries.

Interesting we're trying to replace a fly half too. Might just be contract negotiations. E.g. before Taylor extended with us there were rumours of Singleton joining. I reckon Sopoaga wants to go back to NZ or Wasps are developing a back up plan in case that happens. Hurricanes are looking for fly halves....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
IF ...

Lima is indeed leaving, OR if Lima is to move to 12.

I can see no good reason to pay big money for an import with Umaga and Searle available, and, whilst I cannot recall names, I think we have others in the academy. Now that we have acquired Tibo, my concerns rest with possibly having to replace Jimmy and Mac (neither of whom have played much for quite a while). 12 is my big concern. We need a game maker here. A good tackler, and someone with burst through potential.

True, Ross is big, but he doesn't have that nimble footedness of an excellent 12 going forwards. He needs a gap that is already there, and thus would be better at 13. He also doesn't have the quickness of mind to chip through. In defence, he is OK. We just don't have anyone in our squad or academy who is made of the right stuff. If we want to go wide, we MUST have a 12 capable of carving up any defence that drifts wide. I mentioned Odogwu before. I have no idea how good is his passing, kicking or tackling. I doubt any of us have seen him do much of that sitting out on a wing. He is out on the wing due to his speed. But, he is not the fastest. Players can and do develop. Odogwu is a much bigger unit than he was.

As for Lima at 12. I don't see it. Defensively, in the tackle, he is mainly OK. But, not in attack.

In my opinion. I still remember when our school coach moved me from flanker to 12. Had me training all summer to change my game. And I was good that next year at 12.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 06:04:05 PM »
Mallins is a hot prospect but I think Umaga has every chance of making it big.

I thought I read a rumour last season that Wasps were keeping an eye on Malliins?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
I have a feeling that the Mallins thing was all crossed wires. A couple of us were discussing him in positive terms online - around the time Daly was rumoured rather than confirmed to be leaving- on the DW site- and I think that became rumours.

I would like to see how Lima goes at ten this year before thinking about 12. Last year I felt 12 was right for him- because he was having a nightmare at ten, his style was totally alien to what we had under Cipriani and, indeed when Rob miller stepped up later in the year we looked more at home-  and we had Searle who I feel showed a lot of promise. In the end Dai dropped Lima for Searle (who took the shirt "on merit" in Dai's words), and Searle promptly got crocked so we never got to see it.

I would not blame Lima for going - after all the press coverage last year about "worst signing" etc. he must be feeling the pressure. The list of ABs who never made an impression up here is rather longer than one would expect, I would like to see him do well.

At the risk of rumours, I remain a fan of Mallins.  I certainly would not like to see us go chasing a big SH import unless their name is Beale. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:14:44 AM by westwaleswasp »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
THe printed rumour at the time was Daly to EAs with Malin and Vailanu coming to us. As a rumour it was partly right. Malins at the time or shortly afterwards signed a new contract.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 10:26:41 AM »
I wonder if Jacob's apparently slow decision to stay is somehow linked with Lima potentially not re-signing. The club could potentially make performance related commitments to him. He must have received other offers. At least it appeared there was an offer from a New Zealand team, albeit reading between the lines of tweets at the time.

It would be a brilliant story if he continues to show good form and stays with the club.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »
That will start a few rumours running.
Let me tell you something cucumber

CurtisJHunter

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 06:09:01 PM »
Found this article with the Guardian from last September - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/11/money-too-good-new-zealanders-wasps-lima-sopoaga and it states Lima signed a lucrative two-year deal with Wasps in January 2018.

I personally would like to see Lima stay on for another season or so. He was not at his best last season but he should be more settled now and with a few more Kiwi's in the club, I hope he will now flourish.

If Lima does go I would love to see Jacob play more games and a new signing brought in at 12. I can't imagine Jimmy will be staying on for another season so as mentioned by other posters, we need a 12!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »
So summer 2020 he's up...good find dude

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »
Don't dispute Umaga's talent/potential but if we went into next season with Umaga and Searle as the two vying for 10 I'd be worried. Personally I'd happily extend Lima for another two years. He's quality and I'm convinced we'll see a different player this year.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 08:18:54 PM »
Don't dispute Umaga's talent/potential but if we went into next season with Umaga and Searle as the two vying for 10 I'd be worried. Personally I'd happily extend Lima for another two years. He's quality and I'm convinced we'll see a different player this year.

For me the gamble didn't pay off, time for a change but agree with you, that would be a gamble (unless jimmy was still around)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 12:12:42 AM »
I don't want to write Lima off, but even if he is much better this year, if he then left it won't have been a success. He would have to really light up the place just to break even over two years, so in that respect I would like to see him for more so that he can leave with a good couple of seasons behind him.
I think his signing is still one of the oddest (not worst) things we have done- he was so different from Cipriani, whom we built the backs around.
I would like to think that Jacob/Searle might not sound so bad this time next year, with or without Jimmy. Time will tell.