Always a Wasp

Author Topic: James Gaskell ruled out for up to 14 weeks  (Read 3903 times)

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: James Gaskell ruled out for up to 14 weeks
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »
Not sure quite how we get "less fragile" players. Rugby is a much more physical game than it was when I played and the players are all so much bigger. I have a rugby programme for Wales v Ireland in 1955 - the props were 14 stone and under 6 foot! They might be allowed to play on the wing now.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
It would be interesting to see comparisons with other clubs. It always feels like we have the worst record, but then we are more aware of Wasps and injuries.

Without coming over all Lady Bracknell on the subject of misfortune as opposed to carelessness, if our record is significantly worse then it seems likely that there are a set of underlying reasons such as overworking/fatigue, that are making our figures worse. However we might not be that much worse than other clubs.

I've not seen anything produced with stats and explanations

There was this about England which also explains at least one Bath injury(Obano) with reference to the Prem

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/england-rugby-injuries-over-training-eddie-jones-142558

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »
I've made the same comment before on here, can't remember which thread and exactly when, but I'm certain that last season someone put some stats up on the DW forum, and we were not as bad it seemed to us all then when compared with the other clubs.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
Not sure quite how we get "less fragile" players. Rugby is a much more physical game than it was when I played and the players are all so much bigger. I have a rugby programme for Wales v Ireland in 1955 - the props were 14 stone and under 6 foot! They might be allowed to play on the wing now.
To add to this, the laws protect the players a lot more from injuries these days than back in 1955 (before I was born), however, the overall levels of physicality have increased. The only other team that appears to have the same level of pain as us is as previously mentioned Bath.

I am not sure there is anything we can attribute it to, bad luck can often be just that. Like EJ picking Sam Jones and then getting Maro to break him.
It was fine when I left it.....