Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57534 times)

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
BBC now reporting we are linked with Howley. They don't normally report on rumours unless there is a lot of substance behind the rumour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51268605

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »
Does this coincide with our current attack coach going off to Coventry/

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2020, 04:44:44 PM »
I’d be happy with Howley, international quality and would relish the chance to get his coaching career back on track after the betting suspension.

Plus one for me. I think that we might get a bargain at first - others have said how good he is off first phase and worked well with the Lions as well?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:24:09 PM by mike909 »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2020, 04:51:05 PM »
I'd be happy with Howley.  Apart from anything else, he did this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6CQz_gCzJw

So let's give the bloke a second chance!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2020, 05:40:48 PM »
Yes, I'd be happy with Howley. Good experience and has effectively coached a team to a 6N win.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2020, 06:17:11 PM »
The thing I like the most is that all the rumours, whether they are true or not, have us linked to former Wasps. It shows there's a real attempt to keep the ethos and playing style that made us such a success in the past.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »
Hiring Howley is like being little-sarries  ;D . I think this is not a bad news, but I'm not ready to forgive what he did with bets.

If you want big rumours, note that things are going really bad in Castres. Players have voluntarily dropped the game against Racing, to protest against the staff. There is a rumour around the president. Wtf is the link with Wasps? Fans were expecting Worsely to become the director of rugby. However, the recruitment is still on going. Hence, Worsely might have a plan for the next season. Come back to Wasps? Even if I'm not sure this is a good idea (the defence is quite poor since he's here). Let's see if it will happen ^^.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2020, 06:27:47 PM »
I'd be happy with Howley.  Apart from anything else, he did this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6CQz_gCzJw

So let's give the bloke a second chance!

That was a team that took no prisoners - and I'd forgotten that try! 

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2020, 06:32:47 PM »
Hiring Howley is like being little-sarries  ;D . I think this is not a bad news, but I'm not ready to forgive what he did with bets.

If you want big rumours, note that things are going really bad in Castres. Players have voluntarily dropped the game against Racing, to protest against the staff. There is a rumour around the president. Wtf is the link with Wasps? Fans were expecting Worsely to become the director of rugby. However, the recruitment is still on going. Hence, Worsely might have a plan for the next season. Come back to Wasps? Even if I'm not sure this is a good idea (the defence is quite poor since he's here). Let's see if it will happen ^^.

I wouldnt want him to come in as DOR, but as part of a team of coaches, maybe even head coach I would dearly love to see Wurzel back.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2020, 06:47:05 PM »
I have no sentiment on the person that comes in, just decent track record / results.
I loved Howley and Worsley the players, but based on results, i may or may not love these same guys as coaches.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
Yes I agree, there results are not so good. Nevertheless, don't judge too much their experience in France, the way of playing rugby is so much closed that this is difficult to assess their skills. The perfect examples are Cotter, Meyer, or Ford who did nothing because of the ruck-based French rugby. Finally we are still alive to see maybe a good season. I hope the next fixtures will underline what we've seen against Worcester.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2020, 06:59:16 PM »
What was the deal with Howley's bets? was it disclosed what he was betting on? I get that he shouldn't bellowed to bet on Wales' matches but I don't personally see anything wrong with betting on other matches

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2020, 07:21:01 PM »
Howley has coached Lions and Wales successfully.... I'd argue he is quite successful.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »
Think he bet on Wales and certain players. It was a fairly menial amount, bad decision but nothing more, it wasn't something that particularly bothered me in any way.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2020, 07:29:54 PM »
Hundreds of bets across thousands of games. Lost a fair bit of cash.

He's not allowed to bet on any game of rugby. He could have inside knowledge of a lot of teams by talking to payers.