Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Everyone's First choice 15  (Read 2679 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Everyone's First choice 15
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:01:08 PM »
I know it's not a 15 man game any more, and i know that rotation is required etc etc etc.
However, we can't qualify for Europe, so with no premiership games around, i'm bored.

We're about half way through the season, so on current form, if we were in the premiership final this weekend who would you pick as your starting 15?
Feel free to add a bench if you want

I would say that it's ok to pick players who are short term injured, but not those that have been injured long term.
i.e. Yes to Ben Harris, No to James Gaskell.
Just a bit of fun, so feel free to bend the rule if it helps

Here's mine

1.  Zurabi Zhvania  (honorable mentions to Tom West and Ben Harris)
2.  Tommy Taylor
3.  Kieran Brookes
4.  Joe Launchbury
5.  Thibaud Flament
6.  Jack Willis
7.  Thomas Young
8.  Nizaam Carr
9.  Dan Robson  (I'm excited by Wusty though)
10. Jacob Umaga
11. Josh Basssett
12. Jimmy Gopperth
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Marcus Watson
15. Matteo Minozzi

The wings were the toughest decision here, and unfortunately it wasn't for the right reasons

Bench would be something like
Tom Cruse
Simon McIntyre (would be starting if he had any form to speak of)
Toomaga-Allen (his last couple of games have been better and i'm not convinced yet by Owlett)
Charlie Matthews
Brad Shields
Sam Wolstenholme
Lima Sopoaga
Michael le Bourgeois (although i nearly picked Rob Miller)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone's First choice 15
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:34:29 PM »
...so on current form, if we were in the premiership final...

...the rest of the league would have to have a shocking second half of the season!!  ;)

Loose head I'd have to start McIntyre, and then a tight call between the rest for the bench.

Wingers, no-one's really putting their hands up as nailed on.  Bassett went very well in Agen against limited opposition.  Kibirige and Watson have both shown great finishing ability at times, and been a touch flaky at others.

Hard to disagree with the rest of your 15, but I couldn't leave Smashley out of the 23.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »
Great thread!

1.  Zurabi Zhvania
2.  Tommy Taylor
3.  Kieran Brookes
4.  Joe Launchbury
5.  Will Rowlands
6.  Jack Willis
7.  Thomas Young
8.  Nizaam Carr
9.  Dan Robson
10. Jacob Umaga
11. Josh Basssett
12. Jimmy Gopperth
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Zach Kiribrigie
15. Matteo Minozzi

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »
1.  Zurabi Zhvania  (honorable mentions to Tom West and Ben Harris)
2.  Tommy Taylor
3.  Kieran Brookes
4.  Joe Launchbury
5.  Thibaud Flament
6.  Jack Willis
7.  Thomas Young
8.  Nizaam Carr
9.  Dan Robson  (I'm excited by Wusty though)
10. Jacob Umaga
11. Josh Basssett
12. Jimmy Gopperth
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Marcus Watson
15. Matteo Minozzi

Tom Cruse
Simon McIntyre (would be starting if he had any form to speak of)
Toomaga-Allen (his last couple of games have been better and i'm not convinced yet by Owlett)
Charlie Matthews
Brad Shields
Sam Wolstenholme
Lima Sopoaga
Michael le Bourgeois (although i nearly picked Rob Miller)

I'd have the same, but with JDeJ on the bench for Booj, and I'm not sure TT has hit the form he was once in to usurp Cruse just yet.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:57:09 PM »

I'd have the same, but with JDeJ on the bench for Booj, and I'm not sure TT has hit the form he was once in to usurp Cruse just yet.

yes yes yes.... JdJ in for Booj. I got that wrong.
I was looking at some cover for 12, and while I agree with most that things haven't clicked that well with JdJ at 12, I'd still rather him on the bench.

TT hasn't hit the form he had pre-injury... but he's still a tackle monster with comparable scrummaging and lineout work to Cruse.
Given that most people complain about our defence, i'd find it hard not to start TT.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 05:19:05 PM »
I'm going to be slightly different with my backs just to throw in something different as an option. Think Minozzi on the wing being used well could offer us something different, dare I say Wadelike. Gopps and Umaga could easily rotate as in that Saints game Umaga was regularly fielding kicks in the backfield well, MLB would add a third potential distributer.

9 Robson
10 Umaga
11 Bassett
12 Le Bourgeois
13 Fekitoa
14 Minozzi
15 Gopperth

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
...if we were in the premiership final...
With this as an opening premiseā€¦ can I pick Jonah Lomu?  ;D

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 09:18:24 AM »
I'm going to be slightly different with my backs just to throw in something different as an option. Think Minozzi on the wing being used well could offer us something different, dare I say Wadelike. Gopps and Umaga could easily rotate as in that Saints game Umaga was regularly fielding kicks in the backfield well, MLB would add a third potential distributer.

9 Robson
10 Umaga
11 Bassett
12 Le Bourgeois
13 Fekitoa
14 Minozzi
15 Gopperth

This is a standard tactic most teams do, to be honest, putting the 10 deep to field kicks and then either launch counters or kick the ball back into space

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »

9 Robson
10 Umaga
11 Bassett
12 Le Bourgeois
13 Fekitoa
14 Minozzi
15 Gopperth

This is a standard tactic most teams do, to be honest, putting the 10 deep to field kicks and then either launch counters or kick the ball back into space

It is but only works well if there are additional distributer options should ball be turned over with 10 stood at full back.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 10:32:15 AM »
Aye that's a good point

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »

How many premiership quality full backs aren't just general all round good ball players?
They all seem to have good distribution skills, good passing, good kicking and a good running game.

Ultimately, they may not be quite as fast as a winger, may not have quite as good passing as a scrum half, and maybe not quite as good a kicker from hand as a fly half, but in general, they likely already have all of those skills just to make it to premiership level as a full back

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 01:41:23 PM »

How many premiership quality full backs aren't just general all round good ball players?
They all seem to have good distribution skills, good passing, good kicking and a good running game.

Ultimately, they may not be quite as fast as a winger, may not have quite as good passing as a scrum half, and maybe not quite as good a kicker from hand as a fly half, but in general, they likely already have all of those skills just to make it to premiership level as a full back

Agreed but Minozzi I don't think has as good distribution skills as some others (or we haven't seen them yet), such as Gopperth or WLR recently which is why I feel he maybe better used from the wing with his running game particularly in moves similar to Wade when he was often released in midfield off first phase.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »
Starting 15. No subs would be:

Zhvania
Taylor
Brookes
Launchbury
Rowlands
Willis
Carr
Young
Robson
Umaga
Bassett
Gopperth
Fekitoa
Watson
Minozzi

Most unlucky to miss out include Shields, Cruse, McIntyre and De Jongh.