Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs again  (Read 7059 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EAs again
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 02:10:07 PM »

It's definitely shoddy management and administration, bit I still don't understand what advantage Saracens could leverage by letting someone's work permit expire.

If there is some loophole there, then I'd have no trouble in believing that they've done it on purpose.
However, at the moment I just can't see what they could gain by letting this happen and therefore it genuinely does feel like poor administration.

Their fine feels pointless... A drop in the ocean that will barely get noticed.
With some French clubs looking to get Saracens expelled from the competition completely, the authorities could have used this as an opportunity to do just that.

Even though I currently feel like this was a genuine mistake, I'd still have little sympathy for them getting kicked out on a technicality, given that they didn't legally qualify for the competition.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2020, 07:59:17 PM »
Crikey - 'Racing 92 takes note of this grotesque decision. Congratulations to the Saracens for this new feat.' You have to love the French for their laissez faire attitude when it comes to speaking their minds.
It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2020, 08:02:46 PM »
https://www.racing92.fr/article/communique-de-presse-sanctions-saracens/13265

Good for them. Hard to disagree.

The Google translation is great. I hope the real translation has the same meaning and emphasis.

While I'm still on the fence about this latest transgression, I still feel that they deserve everything that they're getting and if I was Racing 92, I'd be aggrieved not just because of this latest problem but because Saracens probably shouldn't be in the competition at all

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2020, 08:24:42 AM »
From DW - report in Telegraph says RFU informed EAs of Visa problem but EAs left it for 11 days until tickets had gone on sale.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2020, 08:43:21 AM »
Telegraph article

Racing 92 have reacted with anger and incredulity at what they consider to be the leniency of the sanction handed down to Saracens for fielding an ineligible player in their Round 6 Champions Cup match against the Parisian side in January.

An independent European Professional Club Rugby disciplinary panel fined Saracens €50,000 (€25k of which is suspended) for their administrative negligence in allowing American prop Titi Lamositele to come on as a replacement in the 60th minute, despite the fact that his work visa had expired 24 hours earlier.

The inadvertent error was only uncovered by the RFU ahead of a Premiership match between Saracens and Harlequins the following week. It was 11 days before Saracens notified EPCR of the situation and accepted responsibility.

Saracens won the match 27-24 to finish runners-up in the group and go through to the quarter-final where they will face Leinster at the Aviva Stadium on April 4.

If they had been punished by effective ejection from the tournament, with Racing getting five points for the game, then the Parisians would have gone up the seedings and had a home tie in the quarter-final. Instead, Racing must travel to Clermont Auvergne.

“Racing 92 are aware of this grotesque decision,” read a statement from the club. “We now know that a club can play fast and loose with the salary cap over several seasons. We know also that a club still has the chance to be crowned a champion of an international competition while continuing to make a mockery of its regulations. We know too that a club only has to risk 0.07 per cent of its budget in order to get an ineligible international player. This marvellous sport does not have the same values for everybody but we will be happy to go and play our friends in Clermont.” 

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2020, 09:14:12 AM »

The Google translation is great. I hope the real translation has the same meaning and emphasis.

As someone with a decent command of French, the meaning and emphasis is exactly as it comes across in translation.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
It is the 11 days delay that seems (to me) odd. One could be forgiven for thinking that perhaps Saracens hung on to make it less likely they would get ejected because of the disruption it would cause as tickets were on sale and arrangements being made by clubs and fans. Whilst, of course, I doubt that is the case for a club for whom "Integrity etc." are watch-words.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
It is the 11 days delay that seems (to me) odd. One could be forgiven for thinking that perhaps Saracens hung on to make it less likely they would get ejected because of the disruption it would cause as tickets were on sale and arrangements being made by clubs and fans. Whilst, of course, I doubt that is the case for a club for whom "Integrity etc." are watch-words.

But that would suggest some sort of pre-meditated plan, do we really think that sort of thing happens in top-flight rugby? With the same team? Twice? Within a matter of weeks? Surely not!!!

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »
As I've pointed out elsewhere you may be interested in the fact that the same player was picked on the bench a week later for the  PRL fixture  v Quins...are PRL looking into sanctions for that offence too?

Harlequins: Morris; Murley, Penny, Lasike, Ibitoye; Smith, Care; Garcia Botta, Elia, Collier, Lewies, Symons, J Chisholm, Robshaw (capt), Dombrandt.

Replacements: Musk, Auterac, Kerrod, Cavubati, Kunatani, Landajo, Herron, Goneva.

Saracens: Gallagher; Lewington, Lozowski, Morris, Segun; Manu Vunipola, Wigglesworth (co-capt); Barrington, Singleton, Koch, Hunter-Hill, Kpoku, Isiekwe, Clark, Wray (co-capt).

Replacements: Woolstencroft, Lamositele ,Ibuanokpe, Christie, Reffell, Spencer, Watson, Obatoyinbo.
The older I get the faster I was....

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2020, 11:19:47 AM »
I suppose it depends upon when the work permit was renewed

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »

Can work permits be back dated?

i.e. could they have theoretically applied for a work permit to cover the date of the game... And if so, would that make it legal in the eyes of general employment law?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2020, 12:16:09 PM »
Simples- cheats do what cheats do. To wait 11 days before informing Euro Rugby is not an accident.

Surprised RFU didn't inform them but then again this is the organisation that can't apparently see a disrepute charge.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:46:56 PM by Neils »

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2020, 12:33:22 PM »
They cannot be accused of a lack of oversight.

It seems to have been one oversight after another.