Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New DOR Options?  (Read 16694 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New DOR Options?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
Cheika or Schmidt.

There is too much at stake to risk anyone else.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 01:37:04 PM »
Has Laurence any coaching qualifications, let alone experience?

I wonder if the reported Howley situation is tied into his past work with Dai, and now Dai has gone will he want/be wanted to come?

We need to appoint a strong DoR and then allow them to appoint the coaching team they want, not who we want. As far as I am concerned the DoR doesn't need to be a "big" name, just someone who can do the job.

As much as I would like it if Worsely plus King or Walder were to come could they actually work together?
I read this one the other way round Roger. I suspect DY's departure is linked to Howley being interviewed recently. It's too much of a coincidence in terms of the timing for me. Not sure if Howley will be DoR or a coach but my take is that he'll be arriving in some capacity in a scenario that doesn't involve DY.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »
Lets stop mentioning King, he's staying with Brive.
I'm not sure on the worsley link, great player, have no idea of his coaching ability. Think he's had mixed success. Doesn't he live in France ?
Walder as a back coach perhaps but not top man...same for Howley.
I see Toby Booth will be available end of this season, he's a smart intelligent coach, i wouldn't be averse to him.
I'd rather my postman than Chieka..he's a knob and I wouldn't be able to stomach listening to his squeaky whiny post match rants.

On a side, I knew Dai was one of the highest earners but 350k? Thats ludicrous, who decided that was money well spent? Then they offered that for 5 years...head shaker.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:48:35 PM by Hymenoptera »

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
Dean Richards?
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 05:27:54 PM »
Lol again saying a couple of days for an announcement then giving themselves a few months to get things in place. The announcement will show the change in  direction of travel.

Little bits at a time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
Interesting comment on Fissler's tweety thing. Somebody asked him if there was more to the Worsley bit. He answered that Wasps were interested and he wanted to try the premiership.  It's a kind of take from it what you want comment.
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 07:10:04 PM »
Cheika's post-match interviews would be interesting.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 08:56:26 PM »
I would not give a monkeys if he takes us into the top 4 and wins some silverware.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2020, 09:24:13 PM »
I don’t think we’re in a position to risk it on an untried DOR.

Yes some old waspies would be a romantic thought. However, looking at it sensibly are any of them really DOR calibre right now? Would rather they prove it elsewhere before we take the risk. Would be nice to have them as coaches but as others have said the new DOR must be allowed to bring in his own team.

I would spend £350k to get a DOR like Schmidt. But if we’re looking to watch funds then as much as Cheika is a marmite individual you have to think he’d inject some much needed fire into the team.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 12:00:46 AM »
Not Cheika, please anyone but.
Many seem to be talking about ex Wasps, but most appointments are not ex players of their club in most sports.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 02:01:41 AM »
For me employing King or Worsley is very different to someone like Murphy at Leicester or Hooper at Bath. The ex waspies are proven as they have gone away and honed their craft in a tough league in a different culture, Howley is even more proven with his Lions tours although he was part of a fantastic team there.
Hooper and Murphy have been promoted from within straight after playing with no proven credentials other than being club men and talking the talk, backfired also with Nick Kennedy.

King is definitely ready now to step up but would need a very good team around him.
Schmidt would be fantastic but think he might have his eyes set higher than us. Same with cheika, I cannot stand him when he moans about the ref after another poor Aussie performance but I do like his passion and he does not suffer fools, very different style to Dai, could work, think we’re still aiming high.

What’s happened to nick mallet these days, tipped for England a while back. Steve Meehan got bath playing some amazing rugby a while back, think he’s in France now.
Rafa and Edwards would have been my team but they have bigger fish to fry these days.
Can’t help but think we’ll plod along until Howley is available

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 04:56:45 AM »

I dunno if it's just the Australian connection, but I have the same feelings about Cheika as I would Eddie Jones.
He also seems to love a rugby League convert and is quite happy with players out of position

I chose Schmidt on the poll, but I'm not really convinced
It feels like international and club management is very different, and Schmidt hadn't been involved with a club for a long time.... And even then, it was Leinster which is a very different kettle of fish to us.

I don't know how much of a connection the old Wasps boys really feel with the current club. Not many of them seem to be putting their hands up to assist when we've been struggling for defence or attack.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 09:41:15 AM »
If, as seems to be the case, Wasps are skint and money has been an issue in Dais removal (some assumptions here but we won't know until something official is said), why would anyone think that Wasps can afford a top coach & that a top coach would want to come to a club with no money to spend?

All this talk about only accepting world class coaches, I don't think we'll have much of choice! Look how many top class coaches have already turned down offers to work at wasps? What will have changed if Dai goes to make them all start flocking to Coventry begging for a job?

I think we should be adjusting our expectations downward a bit!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »
Rob Hoadley is making waves in the US. Coach of the Year 2019 - https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/rob-hoadleys-path-to-mlr-coach-of-the-year/

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
Is there also a chance that Wasps wanted a different coaching structure that Dai didn’t want to be a part of?

Think it’s well known that he’s always taken great joy from the coaching part and as DoR with a HC, he wouldn’t get that as much?

Bit like Wenger at my beloved Arsenal not wanting to work with a director of football.

Arteta returning also improves the argument about Worsley or Howley as the former players know the culture but have learnt their craft away from the club.

I think we’ll see Howley with Worsley supporting.