Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New DOR Options?  (Read 16700 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New DOR Options?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 10:48:10 AM »
Agree. I think it's going to be Howley in some shape or form, probably as DoR with a new coach or two under him. Can't see Cheika or Schmidt wanting it. The only other option is an up and coming essentially unknown option but I can't see us taking that risk.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »
Rob Hoadley is making waves in the US. Coach of the Year 2019 - https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/rob-hoadleys-path-to-mlr-coach-of-the-year/

Not a bad shout that.  Big step up though.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 10:59:10 AM »
A bit off the wall ...

If they decide the long term rests with someone like King, Howley or Worsley I'd bring in someone like Schmidt for a year and send the chosen successor off to New Zealand and South Africa for 6 months to work with teams there to get a broader outlook on current coaching and playing strategies. Then when they come back allow them to build their own coaching teams. 

Also, how about Gopperth in a coaching role? I don't know if he'd be interested but if he was I'd also invest in him spending time in other countries as part of his coaching apprenticeship.

Of course this relies on them making a long term commitment, a Board with the balls to follow through and patient fans.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »
How is Worsley rated as a coach? Apparently he's coached at Bordeaux and Castres? Based on that I'm not too confident...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 11:27:45 AM »
How is Worsley rated as a coach? Apparently he's coached at Bordeaux and Castres? Based on that I'm not too confident...

Does anyone actually know if Joe wants to move back to the UK? He's been in France for quite some time now and may be well settled and liking the lifestyle.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »
I think we are fishing in the wrong pool when we consider ex-Wasps players. We have a new Chief Executive who will have recommended to the owner that Dai be let go - good HR words. He will have different thoughts and ideas and no subjective memories of Worsley.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
Does anyone actually know if Joe wants to move back to the UK? He's been in France for quite some time now and may be well settled and liking the lifestyle.

One long time wasps supporter who knows Joe & his wife personally has made it very clear that he's very happy in France & has no intention of coming back. he even mentioned when he was doing the punditry for the England France game that he can't think in English any more.

Doesn't mean it won't happen of course, people change their minds, but the "Fantasy DoR" discussion is getting a bit daft IMO.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »
But Baldpaul101, someone is going to come in. Why is it wrong for fans to speculate on who. If your point is that talk of Schmidt, Cheika and maybe Worsley is fanciful I agree but it will be someone.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »
Shugs, I think its daft because of the names being thrown around, more than happy for everyone to speculate but I can't see it being anyone who's coached at international level.

Playing devils avocado for a minute, why does some have to come in? What happens if Blackett turns the season around and get us to the play offs? Wouldn't it then be a bit harsh to get rid of him?
(to be clear I don't think that's likely to happen, but its probably as likely as some of the other suggestions!)
There's also the possibility that there's no budget for anyone & Blackett gets the job by default....

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »
Shugs, I think its daft because of the names being thrown around, more than happy for everyone to speculate but I can't see it being anyone who's coached at international level.

Playing devils avocado for a minute, why does some have to come in? What happens if Blackett turns the season around and get us to the play offs? Wouldn't it then be a bit harsh to get rid of him?
(to be clear I don't think that's likely to happen, but its probably as likely as some of the other suggestions!)
There's also the possibility that there's no budget for anyone & Blackett gets the job by default....

Problem is that the structure has to be planned now, rather than at the end of the season.

We need a new DoR, a new head of S&C. I also reckon that there will be other coaching changes as well. Does not happen overnight and will need to be well sorted before the next pre-season kicks off.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2020, 03:39:12 PM »
Playing devils avocado for a minute

Are you making a witty pun, BP? Or is it just another peril of auto correct?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »
I can't see it being anyone who's coached at international level.

Why not?  Irish have Declan Kidney for goodness sake.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2020, 05:09:35 PM »
Could be anyone. No-one knows. Have to say baldpaul101 you've made me laugh with the devils avocado!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »
How about Stuart Robinson from the Crusaders. He lost out on the All Black job so might fancy a few years up North.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2020, 05:44:02 PM »
Why not?  Irish have Declan Kidney for goodness sake.

But Irish had money for Kidneys wages & also for buying in a lot of exciting talent.
What can wasps offer? "Come and sign up at Wasps, we've no money for you, or for buying in top players. we've got a decent squad but too many of them spend too much time on the treatment table. Club finances aren't in the best of shape, we're still embroiled in legal nonsense over the stadium sale & don't mention the training facilities!"
I can see a queue of top coaching talent queuing up to join  ;D