Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No Rugby this year likely.  (Read 4221 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No Rugby this year likely.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 07:24:07 AM »
Not surprised. Rugby seems to be hanging on to the coat tails of football in this and I suspect football as a whole is yet to fully think out the overarching problems.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »
What's the saying, "sport is the most important of the least important things"?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:41:27 AM »
Playing behind closed doors. Is it better than not playing at all? I am not sure if any rugby is better than none. Crowds make the international game what it is. Can you imagine a Haka in an empty Twickenham? Or even Back in Black to an empty Ricoh? I guess I will support anything that keeps our clubs alive, whether that be mothballing or playing behind closed doors.

Of course it is probably the same either way if you are a Sarries fan next year.  ;)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:36:59 PM »
The answer is yes. I'd watch 2 ants racing if it was broadcast right now.
I'll happily watch closed door rugby. Its no different to the Challenge Cup games where there is no commentary and I enjoyed those just fine.
I imagine the BTSport subscription rate would do rather well and that can only be good for rugby as a whole moving forward....the alternative is dire.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:51:37 PM »
Fair enough, I enjoyed those C-cup games too.
Would closed door rugby be financially preferable to mothballing and starting next year later? Or would that be dependent on each club's finances and costs?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 03:59:16 PM »
The answer is yes. I'd watch 2 ants racing if it was broadcast right now.

This did make me chuckle!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 06:15:24 PM »
Would closed door rugby be financially preferable to mothballing and starting next year later? Or would that be dependent on each club's finances and costs?
It has to be surely, broadcast money is key to everything ATM. If they want money back, the clubs are in trouble. If their subscriptions remain low, that will impact PRL negotiation which hits the clubs. An upturn in BT money for them or us has to be a good thing.
I'd swap my wife for some live sport right now, if Rugby can be televised i'd be amazed if subscriptions didn't go through the roof. The UFC fight this weekend will probably destroy any previous PPV, not just because it's an amazing card but the appetite for any form of sport is off the chart.
Shit I'd buy the PPV to watch some 80 year old grannies going at it at the moment. I'd even consider watch golf!!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
Don't tell her!

My question was predicated upon the idea that if it is broadcast money only can all the clubs pay the bills off that?  If not, is it possible that they shut down and claim on insurance etc.? I would rather watch something than nothing, but I want us to survive. Broadcast cash is king, I am hoping it is enough.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:57:11 PM by westwaleswasp »

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 10:11:06 PM »
I agree, whatever is the strongest position for the clubs has to be a priority.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 07:09:42 AM »
Yesterday, I read a document which has been circulated to the emergency services in the Irish Republic. This gives more detail than the announcement by Varadkar on May 1. In it, wrt sport - the obvious caveats applying, it says that golf could resume from May 18, subject to social distancing being observed. In a later phase, GAA and soccer - behind closed doors, would resume from July 20.

It will be interesting to see what Boris has to say on Sunday.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »
I'd expect pastimes such as Golf and Fishing would be available to the public this month, not that i'd watch either of them on TV but I wouldn't mind dipping my rod in the local lake.  :o

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 02:33:58 PM »
You'd expect so but with social gathering guidelines in place I think both would exceed set limit of people needed to support it, its not the act itself its the infrastructure thats the problem.
It's getting to the point that I no longer understand what we are trying to achieve, i did, now i'm less clear. Even if there are a handful of cases in any country and the world eases off, we are back to where we are today given the level of contagion. I'm not sure what the answer is to anything let alone sport.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 09:17:19 PM »
I too am in the dark. I feel like it is reading tea leaves, I can see several plausible options and have no idea what is best. I will be listening to the clubs carefully, I am hoping we don't end up with a club v country situation next year...

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 06:47:24 AM »
I think we will always have a club v country situation to varying degrees in this country. More importantly is the worry that some Rugby fans won't have a club to support when this pandemic is all over.