Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter supporters petition for club to drop 'racist' Native American branding.  (Read 24579 times)

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Quote from: NorthYorksWasp
Let’s ask a question or two, honest, hand on heart answers only...
Short answer
1. Not standing up to be counted yesterday does not mean one cannot do so today.
2. That is not how civil societies work. Anti-Semitism is not acceptable until a Rabbi specifically tells you otherwise.
3. This is a rugby community issue.

Long answer
1. I had. About 5 years ago, after seeing a headline along the lines of ‘Exeter scalp the opposition”, and suspecting that it was in poor taste, I researched the issue and discovered that indigenous groups had been calling for an end to such stereotypes since the 1960’s. I’ve been doing what I can to amplify those voices for change, as best I can, in a community that is important to me personally.

2. Before they branded themselves with a culture they have absolutely no relation to, Exeter should have, at the very least, considered how it might effect the people they were planning to stereotype. The onus to check they were doing no harm was on them in 1999, as it is today.
But yes, the issue has been raised with the club by a number of people, native American and otherwise. The issue has been raised in various media pieces as well. There is absolutely no way the club were not aware of the issue. The fact is they chose to ignore it AND the people they claim to be respecting. Most recently several indigenous individuals, Tribal councils and other native led groups, such as Iroquois Roots Rugby, have unequivocally stated that the Exeter brand specifically is harmful and disrespectful and should be dropped. The Exeter board apparently believe they know better.

3. It’s a shame that there is any need to discuss this here, or anywhere, at all. The club that should be explaining their position refuse to comment, the fan forum that should be hosting the discussion deletes and bans anyone, including Exeter fans, that try to raise the issue. I’m personally grateful for the balanced and mature platform that this forum has provided.

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Quote from: Skippy
I’m wondering when attention will turn to Saracens. Surely we’ll hear soon that their name is offensive to the those in the Middle East and Turkey, and that the Fez hats are cultural appropriation. The fact that there’s a Saracens club in Abu Dhabi will probably be conveniently ignored.

Quote from: Sting
..oh and my favourite SARACENS is cultural appropriation complete with fez!!?

LeAndra Nephin, of the Omaha Tribe, Nebraska was asked specifically about the Saracens brand on 5 Live. If you are genuinely interested in the answer to your question, that would be a great place to start, shouldn’t be too hard to find.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Some of the interview with the afore mentioned LeAndra Nephin where she talks about why it is problematic and her response to the idea it "honours" or shows respect:
https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1288756542020476929

edit: full interview here, starts at 1:50 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000l92f
edit2: Saracens Q comes at 1:53:45, answer basically is she can't comment for other groups on what her find offensive or otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:48:34 PM by 13thWarrior »