Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Matches - this is testing  (Read 5976 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Matches - this is testing
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »
Assuming all fit:
Team A:
9. Robson
10 Umaga
11 Watson
12 Gopperth
13 Fekitoa
14 Bassett
15 Miller

Team B:
9  Vellicott
10 Sopoaga
11 Kibirige
12 Mills
13 De Jong
14 Odogwu
15 Minozzi

Leaving Porter, Wolstenholme, Spink, Simonds, Sirker, Le Bourgeois for the bench/cover etc.

I suspect we might see Lima continuing at 15.

I think so too.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 02:59:03 PM »
Not if he's to rotate with Umaga and Gop played 12 that week?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 03:05:07 PM »
We're going to need some forwards too! :)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2020, 03:23:43 PM »
Would you start Lima at 15 and have Miller at 10?

If we start Gopps at 10 it changes all the 10/12 options.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »
Would you start Lima at 15 and have Miller at 10?

If we start Gopps at 10 it changes all the 10/12 options.

I think there will be horses for courses selections. That can go terribly wrong. Of course all our opponents will at least have the same difficulties. I have a gut feeling that we are in better shape than most.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »
I agree, Ross, which is why I listed the backs. We have seen most of the forwards through last season where 3rd and 4th choice
front and second row players were very impressive.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
Looks great on paper until five or six get injured. What then. Who do we play then? We all know - players will be asked to play twice a week. Injured players will be asked to play. It's a nonsense.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 09:41:33 AM »
Looks great on paper until five or six get injured. What then. Who do we play then? We all know - players will be asked to play twice a week. Injured players will be asked to play. It's a nonsense.

It's definitely a concern, but I can't see Lee, or anyone else at Wasps for that matter, deliberately breaking players.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 10:28:33 AM »

It's definitely a concern, but I can't see Lee, or anyone else at Wasps for that matter, deliberately breaking players.

We're also have more depth than quite a few others seem to, so if injuries are spread even reasonably evenly, we'll be OK.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »
And if no one gets injured, your worrying about nothing

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
In the course of a normal season any club would typically be permanently at least 4 or 5 players down through injury at any given time.  Probably more.  It's just the nature of the game.  The long lay off has allowed everyone to get back to full fitness, so all teams will probably restart with a much greater percentage of their squad fit and available (even suspensions were allowed to run their course while no games were being played) than they would normally expect with 9 games to go.  However, although all will be starting from a healthier point, the effect of returning to full competitive rugby after such a long break remains to be seen.  That together with the condensed schedule could result in more injuries.  From there it could very quickly snowball as a couple of injuries will lead to others being called upon more, and those injured potentially being called upon to return sooner which in turn may lead to more injuries.  I trust the Wasps coaching team to manage players responsibly, and use the opportunity to give game time to some of our promising youngsters.  But best laid plans could quickly unravel if faced with more than 3 or 4 injuries.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2020, 01:35:54 PM »
Lots of coulda scenarios, its only a couple of condensed weeks ATM, with players fresher than have been in their entire career. I'll be concerned when i need to be.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
Lots of coulda scenarios, its only a couple of condensed weeks ATM, with players fresher than have been in their entire career. I'll be concerned when i need to be.

Fair enough.  All ifs and buts at the moment.  The point I was making was that if injuries do start to take their toll, and they inevitably will at some clubs through a combination of bad luck and poor player management, then a challenging situation could very quickly become very, very difficult to manage while remaining competitive.

But as you rightly say, no point worrying now about stuff that might or might happen in 6 weeks' time.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2020, 02:32:38 PM »
That is true. Thank goodness it's not a full contact game where injuries are common.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
That is true. Thank goodness it's not a full contact game where injuries are common.

Its not a pub team, we have a squad of 44 players for a 15 man game for a reason.