Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Matches - this is testing  (Read 5977 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Matches - this is testing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 04:11:01 PM »
Blimey..expect very little training between games...lucky they have had the rest oftheir lives.
I can't wait.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 04:23:55 PM »
excellent opportunity for the whole squad to get game time I would have thought, theres no way the same 23 players will be playing games with 5, 4 & 6 day turn arounds

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 08:01:12 PM »
excellent opportunity for the whole squad to get game time I would have thought, theres no way the same 23 players will be playing games with 5, 4 & 6 day turn arounds

If we have a fully fit squad going into this, then we can rotate players and and put out a decent team evey time.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 10:23:02 PM »
Some teams are going to struggle with their current squads. Think we're in a fairly strong position, unfortunately we're facing strong opposition.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
Some teams are going to struggle with their current squads. Think we're in a fairly strong position, unfortunately we're facing strong opposition.

We are in a good place IMHO. Fit and motivated squad. At least two good players for each position. We should be able to rotate our squad without too many problems.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 08:16:19 AM »
So much is  going to depend on the DoR's choice and rotation of players.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 08:45:18 AM »
Could also be regulations on how much players are used  about halfway down this link.

https://lastwordonrugby.com/2020/07/10/2020-21-gallagher-premiership-set-to-start-november-21/

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »
I note that Lima is unhappy over the schedule - in a tweety thing.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
Not ideal but I think Wasps are well placed to select competitive teams for all the matches.

Really hoping Velacott, Gaskell and Sirker are ready to go.

Sale and Gloucester supporters are talking about selecting weakened teams for some matches.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
Not ideal but I think Wasps are well placed to select competitive teams for all the matches.

Really hoping Velacott, Gaskell and Sirker are ready to go.

Sale and Gloucester supporters are talking about selecting weakened teams for some matches.

Vellacott, nearly forgotten about him! Excited to potentially see more of Sirkers raw pace.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 11:50:29 AM »
I will be interested to see Sirkers tackling and defence. We know he was fast, as seen in the 7s, but have little evidence of his all round 15s game. Could be exciting.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »
Could also be regulations on how much players are used  about halfway down this link.

https://lastwordonrugby.com/2020/07/10/2020-21-gallagher-premiership-set-to-start-november-21/

That is unrealistic IMHO.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 07:25:48 PM »
Yes, this is just utter madness. We all want rugby back but this borders on dangerous and reckless. It's basically going to be select two separate teams and rotate them. You just can't play two games a week for a period of time.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »
With the Lions tour due to start on 3rd July, the weekend of 21/22 November is the latest point at which next season can start in order to finish on time without midweek games, and that's after the Premiership Rugby Cup is axed.

Re. Lima, I've been a bit hacked off with his comments this week. Yes losing 25% of your salary isn't great, but he is still on an obscene amount of money compared to most people, and quite how much value for money we got from him before is debatable. Yes playing 7 matches in a month will be tough, but is it any tougher than what nurses have faced for a longer period of time for less than 1/12th of what he's still earning?