Always a Wasp

Author Topic: CCFC to build new stadium in partnership with Warwickshire uni  (Read 5785 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: CCFC to build new stadium in partnership with Warwickshire uni
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 03:59:55 PM »
I don't know the area but would this not come under Coventry City council? Can't see them being in a rush to agree anything with SISU involved?

Apparently not CCC so new people to wind up.
Let me tell you something cucumber

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
Lots been said on twitter and I’m sure it’s of a very vocal minority, but lots of wishing for us to go bust.

It’s a real shame that there’s people wishing for the demise of a club that’s been around for over 150 years. At the end of the day we’re all fans of a sports team based in Coventry and you’d be hard pressed to find a Wasps fan who’s ideal situation wouldn’t be cohabiting the Ricoh with a Sisu-less CCFC.

In some respects, it’s probably why SISU are still there- it’s the fans who have the final say but they’re too busy pointing figures at everyone else rather than the ones running their club.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »
Derek certainly didn't make his fortune by cutting off his nose to spite his face. If Wasps really needed CCFC playing at the Ricoh as much as the clowns on Sky Blues Talk think we need them playing at the Ricoh, then a deal would have been done last year. 

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 07:28:26 PM »
This news suggests that Sisu have given up any hope of acquiring the Ricoh Arena as owners.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
With all the inevitable hullabaloo I’m really surprised the announcement has been made before ‘an exact site has been agreed’.

It suggests Warwick University and Sisu haven’t reached an agreement.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 06:31:08 AM »
Probably has something to do with keeping the EFL placated.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 07:55:43 AM »
Probably has something to do with keeping the EFL placated.

Almost certainly. No real intent would be my guess.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 09:55:32 AM »
If we assume this is a proper plan, then the area they are talking about is on the edge of Kenilworth and there are some very expensive properties in that area, the owners of which aren't going to accept some potentially big hits on property prices by having 20k football fans milling around every other week.
Not to mention the small roads around that area which tend to get gridlocked at rush hour, so will get gridlocked at match times as well.
I found it amusing how some of the CCFC fans are claiming HS2 being nearby helps show great transport links, only issue being the closest HS2 station is in Birmingham. LOL

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »
Good luck to them, seems like they are only at the very beginning of what might be a long path but if the intentions on both sides are good they could make a success of it. As for the effects on us, sure if they become a high flying championship side or even Premiership side then the additional exposure to the arena would be pretty handy, although there is a long way to go before they reach that level and if they have a stadium to finance there may be a subsequent hit on playing squad which slows their development.

It seems that timing here is fishy given that talks have been had about them coming back to the Ricoh.  Sisu always seem to start releasing statements during these periods.

I do hope the majority of supporters get what they want (other than the implosion of Wasps that the deranged few hanker after) as they used to be a team I looked out for in the 90s.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:59:26 AM by Dgwasp »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 11:08:15 AM »
Like others have said, the fact nothing solid has been proposed/submitted makes me think the statement has been released for other reasons. Possibly to placate EFL and allow them to stay at St Andrews for an extended stay (whilst their stadium is built), or possibly as a bargaining chip in negotiations for a lower rent with Wasps ("look.. we have other options.. we don't have to come back to the arena")..

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/coventry-city-council-responds-sky-18637155?utm_campaign=daily_newsletter&utm_content=EM_CoventryTelegraph_Nletter_News_Home_largeteaser_Text_Story1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=coventry_telegraph_newsletter

An area has "sort of" been highlighted as potential a site.. but that dosn't involve an awful lot of work or financial comittment.. a map and marker pen.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2020, 11:23:41 AM »
Interesting how all parties are making the right supportive noises without any actual commitment.

I can see CCFC supporters getting upset when/if it comes to nothing....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »
Interesting how all parties are making the right supportive noises without any actual commitment.

I can see CCFC supporters getting upset when/if it comes to nothing....

Shame - again!
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »
Agreed.

Sadly when playing political games the fans aren't very important.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »
Does anybody believe any part of this story - especially when it starts with a claim that SISU want to talk with Wasps about ground sharing. Wasps have already said they won’t talk with SISU whilst there’s a legal case pending.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2020, 12:35:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure we are not the intended audience. This is for the rest of the interested parties to try and picture SISU as a reasonable, sensible organisation trying hard to get everyone to agree to a compromise.
We all know that's nonsense!!