Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Taking the knee v Saints  (Read 8471 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Taking the knee v Saints
« on: August 12, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »
I’m very proud that Wasps players will be taking the knee prior to the kick off against Saints.

As a culturally diverse team in a culturally diverse city to send out a message that we deplore racism - and celebrate diversity - is entirely the right thing to do.

Well done Wasps.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the knee v Saints
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:32:09 PM »
+ 1
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 04:42:19 PM »
I’m very proud that Wasps players will be taking the knee prior to the kick off against Saints.

As a culturally diverse team in a culturally diverse city to send out a message that we deplore racism - and celebrate diversity - is entirely the right thing to do.

Well done Wasps.

In my view.. taking the knee is another form of bullying..

We don't need very rich and entitled people in the spotlight to tell us how we feel.. how we act.. what to think. I'll make up my own mind.

I hope the Wasps players will be allowed to choose.. preferably not take a a political/religious statement onto the sporting field

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »

Well done Wasps.

We don't need very rich and entitled people in the spotlight to tell us how we feel.. how we act.. what to think. I'll make up my own mind.

I hope the Wasps players will be allowed to choose.. preferably not take a a political/religious statement onto the sporting field
:P I thought it was only me that tended to poke various subject bears! Prepare for possible incoming.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »

Seriously?????? I really don't think anyone is being ordered to take a knee. Our players will have come to a conclusion and will have collectively agreed on their action. I would definitely take a knee if my joints were up to it.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 05:30:12 PM »

Seriously?????? I really don't think anyone is being ordered to take a knee. Our players will have come to a conclusion and will have collectively agreed on their action. I would definitely take a knee if my joints were up to it.

Ordered, no.  Or at least I hope not.  Coerced?  Perhaps, in the face of intense media pressure over the course of the last few months.  If this was a genuinely unanimous sentiment among the entire squad, then good for them.  However, I can't help but feel there may be some among them who are less than comfortable with it for personal reasons, but chose to keep their own counsel and fall in line with the majority.  I would be no less proud of Wasps if they had left it as a matter of individual conscience, in which case I would have no more or less respect for those that chose to join in over those that chose not to.

Personally I'd prefer it if politics were left well out of sport.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 05:49:17 PM »

Ordered, no.  Or at least I hope not.  Coerced?  Perhaps, in the face of intense media pressure over the course of the last few months.  If this was a genuinely unanimous sentiment among the entire squad, then good for them.  However, I can't help but feel there may be some among them who are less than comfortable with it for personal reasons, but chose to keep their own counsel and fall in line with the majority.  I would be no less proud of Wasps if they had left it as a matter of individual conscience, in which case I would have no more or less respect for those that chose to join in over those that chose not to.

I understand it has been "organised" by Ugo Monye.

I agree 100% with your final sentence.
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 05:54:46 PM »
I'd argue that Human Rights transcends politics and I'd put my mortgage on it that the players have a choice in whether to bend the knee in support of BLM or not.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 06:00:57 PM »

I understand it has been "organised" by Ugo Monye.

I agree 100% with your final sentence.

Sending out a message that we are standIng beside the black community In the fight against racism isn’t politics.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 06:38:53 PM »

Well done Wasps.

BG I find your view unnecessary and uncalledfor. I am trying maintain my ever increasing amount of smites and quiet frankly your just putting my attention on yourself...not cool.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 06:43:34 PM »
The term 'black lives matter' is now associated with an unsavoury bunch of career marxists.

They need to change the name to get my support.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 06:45:04 PM »
The term 'black lives matter' is now associated with an unsavoury bunch of career marxists.

So if other groups just start using a term, the originals are the ones who need to change?

Black lives matter has been misused in several ways, but the original message still holds true in my mind.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 06:52:06 PM »
Sorry, All Lives Matter, irrespective of colour, race or religion. A human being is a human being. End of argument.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 06:58:46 PM »
For me, Rugby is a celebration of diversity, a largely respectful sport, made up of athletes of all races, sizes etc. Frankly I don't care how someone chooses to acknowledge diversity, only that it should be acknowledged. There will always be extremists who hijack movements, as a rule they are a blinkered minority, I pity them. We should all see the value in the eclectic mix we have in humanity and being kind to people, that is what is important. The extremists will have an issue with people like me who embrace diversity, frankly it doesn't bother me, as I am morally richer than them as I see the greater good, they refuse to see it. #COYW
It was fine when I left it.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 07:00:39 PM »

So if other groups just start using a term, the originals are the ones who need to change?

Black lives matter has been misused in several ways, but the original message still holds true in my mind.

There is already the well established "Rugby Against Racism" which I notice other clubs are supporting.
Let me tell you something cucumber