Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The run in.  (Read 19537 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The run in.
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »
4 wins is all it takes now.

Was about to ask what you are drinking BUT of course you are right!
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 05:21:39 PM »
By my calculations

So...

Two bonus point wins guarantee a home semi final.

Two wins, one bonus point guarantees at least third. If we finish tied on points with Bath they'll finish ahead on matches won.

Two wins, no bonus points means at least fourth provided Bristol don't win their two games with bonus points and get a combined points difference that's 81 points higher than Wasps combined points difference v Quins & Exeter, so if we win both games 3-0, Bristol would need to win both by a combined margin of 87 points.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »
4 wins is all it takes now.

That's the spirit!! 😁😁

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 08:15:40 AM »
With the exception of Chiefs all teams have something to play for, so there should be some good contests in the run in, and nobody expects Chiefs to roll over.

We're in a tight contest with Bath, Sale and Bristol for the coveted 2nd place which in not just a home play off but more importantly playing against the teams that were 7 & 8 in next year's European competition. Third and 4th in play offs but it doesn't make much difference in Europe, nobody wants to be 5th and miss out on play offs.

Quins, Saints and Glaws are playing for 6th place, or more importantly not 7th or 8th when they'd be facing teams that were 1st and 2nd in their leagues in Europe next year.

Worcester, Irish and Tigers are playing to not be the "bottom" club, even though that doesn't mean relegation this year. They also need confidence going in to next season when relegation will be a real threat based on this season's performances.

EAs are just trying to prove something and are currently 2nd without the the points deduction. Nobody's listening or cares, but it seems to be giving them something to play for.

And finally, they're all proud rugby players who don't like losing, professional or not.

Its going to be a nail biting finish for most fans  :)

MarleyWasp

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 08:30:26 AM »
Avoiding being the "bottom" club is also important for Leicester, Worcester and Irish as it means an easier in theory draw in the Challenge Cup.

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2020, 08:37:09 AM »
I take heart from the fact that since the playoffs began when we have won it hasn't ever been from higher than 2nd and with a traditional post Xmas charge (granted in 16 we were 90 secs from changing that)... feels a bit like Wasps of old... we couldn't... could we (living in hope)?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
Out of interest is next years Euro cup placings based on finishing position in the league or the play off? Does the Champion & final runner up make up the 1st & 2nd placings or is it who finishes 1st & 2nd in the regular season?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »
Out of interest is next years Euro cup placings based on finishing position in the league or the play off? Does the Champion & final runner up make up the 1st & 2nd placings or is it who finishes 1st & 2nd in the regular season?

Playoff performance determines the seedings for the Euro draw.  The structure of the draw means that the 2 finalists from each league are seeded in pot 1, losing semifinalists in pot 2, regardless of league position.  Then 5th and 6th in pot 3, and 7th and 8th in pot 4.  So the 2 finalists will therefore get an equally favourable draw.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2020, 12:50:10 PM »
Well the lads should be well rested. Lee has given them this week off.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2020, 12:58:00 PM »
Who'd have thought .... ?

That we would be pondering how we get a home SF, let alone be in the semis? Where we were earlier in the year, top 6 looked like a pipe dream.

Even if we don't win the next 2 matches, I will be more than happy at the way this season will have ended.

Elated if we get to stay in the top 4, and so on ...

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2020, 02:26:08 PM »
Given the length of the mid-season break compared to the upcoming close season (or lack of), plus the fact that nearly all transfer business across the league was completed during the usual end of season window in the summer, meaning in personnel terms teams now are largely as they will be for the 21/22 season; I find it hard to associate the current run of games with the season that's just finishing, more a sort of pre-season mini tournament ahead of 2021/22.  On that basis we are looking very well set for the season to come.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 09:14:59 PM »
With no fans at the semi final play offs (unless that changes?) The advantage of being at home is significantly reduced therefore I'd be only slightly disappointed with a 3rd place finish over 2nd.

Saying that I wouldn't fancy meeting Exeter at Sandy Park if we finish 4th and be gutted if we miss the play offs altogether.

How our hopes and expectations have changed since Blackett took over.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2020, 10:36:35 PM »
On their day no one can live with Wasps but it would take a herculean effort to win the last 4 games.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2020, 11:16:05 AM »
Given the run ins, my head tells me it is going to be a really tough ask to retain too 4... However as the last couple of weeks have shown we have the capability and anything can happen. 

Given the way the season started, how together the squad seem now and how enjoyable the last few weeks have been I really hope the squad go into the last bunch of games with a real nothing to lose attitude.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2020, 11:40:52 AM »
Watching last nights Quinns game I thought they played a very clever game. Kicked to a very fats & creative back 3 & put them under so much pressure Gloz imploded & made mistake after mistake.
Something wasps need to be careful of.
The final game at Sandy Park will be interesting. Depending on how the other teams are standing it may be in Exeter's interest to lose to get themselves a better semi final opponent? Will they want to rest key players or, if a likely home semi against Wasps themselves looks likely, they may want a heavy win to put down a marker.

Can't remember what year but Wasps got absolutely pumped at Welford road but them demolished Tigers in a final a week or so later (details from those with better memories welcome) Mind games from Shaun at the time I think.