Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 2nd Place  (Read 2941 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2nd Place
« on: October 01, 2020, 07:40:59 AM »
I just feel it's worth pointing out that we would still be in 2nd place even if the cheats hadnt been docked any points.

Based on their wins and BPs they'd be on 65, and we're on 66.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Place
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »
I just feel it's worth pointing out that we would still be in 2nd place even if the cheats hadnt been docked any points.

Based on their wins and BPs they'd be on 65, and we're on 66.

Nice one!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 08:19:48 AM »
Yes, they started to lose a few once they had to play with a squad that was nearer to being legal.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 09:35:44 AM »
As much as I like the idea that we'd be ahead of Sarries at this stage regardless of their points deduction, I think they may have approached some of their Premiership games a little differently if something had actually been at stake.  However, it's only right that we end up ahead of a team that we've beaten well both home and away during the regular season, just as we did Bath and Bristol.  (Same logic doesn't apply to Sale!)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
As much as I like the idea that we'd be ahead of Sarries at this stage regardless of their points deduction, I think they may have approached some of their Premiership games a little differently if something had actually been at stake.  However, it's only right that we end up ahead of a team that we've beaten well both home and away during the regular season, just as we did Bath and Bristol.  (Same logic doesn't apply to Sale!)

It all becomes if and buts. Would they have had the previous success leading to greater successes later, if they hadn't cheated in the first place?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
Big fat grin!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 08:00:33 PM »
And if I'm not much mistaken today's results mean they wouldn't even be in the play offs.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 08:07:13 PM »

Well, they wanted it today and couldn't deliver.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »
With all due respect, I do think results would've been different had Sarries not been auto relegated. that shouldn't take anything away from our victories against them though!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 08:18:15 PM »
With all due respect, I do think results would've been different had Sarries not been auto relegated. that shouldn't take anything away from our victories against them though!

Autorelegated. You mean cheated.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »

I agree that the dynamics would have been different had they not been relegated, but they would have still faced disruption to get below the cap - I'm assuming that PRL would have at least demanded that of them.

Obviously if they'd been allowed to keep the illegal squad they'd have been 1st/2nd, who wouldn't?

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 08:55:26 PM »
I think it’s even more impressive when you look at it from another perspective. Not only are we 2nd but we are just 3 points behind Exeter (74 v 71) with only a single win separating the two. The PF v PA difference between both clubs is just 22!

Savour the moment. What a turnaround! Very proud!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 09:08:23 PM »
Neils,

Automatic relegation because they cheated.

Not disagreeing they absolutely deserve their punishment, just pointing out their league position without points deduction is somewhat meaningless.

And to clarify I hate Sarries with a passion and cheered on every team that beats them.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 09:18:29 PM »
+1  :)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »
This is the 5th time Wasps have finished 2nd in the table since the playoffs were introduced to determine the champions.  Previous 4 were 03, 04, 05 and 08.  Just saying! :)