Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jack Rested?  (Read 5174 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Rested?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 06:01:51 PM »
Why is anyone surprised?  It is SO Eddie Jones.

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 06:41:18 PM »
EJ’s done his bit. Given Jack a single game, can now say he’s tried him, doesn’t think he’s what he wants and released him. Can legit say ‘did give him a go’.
Welcome to the one cap club.
Rant over.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 06:46:21 PM »
I'm not in the least bit surprised. Just sums up why I can barely contain my apathy towards England, and I've always found Ireland an excellent cure for the will to live.

Portugal v Brazil for me on Saturday at 3pm...

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
I thought Jack had an excellent debut against Georgia.

I’d rather he cut his teeth against some of the so called lesser nations where he can develop the experience he needs to play at the highest level without the same pressure. He will be picked again very soon.

England have an outstanding crop of young back row forwards and Jack is going to complement them and go on to win many caps.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
All you need to know about Eddie Jones is writ large in his selection of Ludlam over Willis. It really is ludicrous. I've love Jones to try the one experiment he hasn't done yet. Pick the best players in their correct positions.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »
I thought Jack had an excellent debut against Georgia.

I’d rather he cut his teeth against some of the so called lesser nations where he can develop the experience he needs to play at the highest level without the same pressure. He will be picked again very soon.

England have an outstanding crop of young back row forwards and Jack is going to complement them and go on to win many caps.
Except Willis is better than all of them already and plays above pressure. He deserves his chance, EJ is and has always been a dick and he's turning me off internal rugby in selection and play.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »
Hymoneptera, fully agree. He's managed to mitigate the fact that he has some of the best players in the world with a ridiculous combination of ego, stubbornness and misplaced loyalty.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 10:40:15 PM »
+ 1

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 11:15:40 PM »
Such a shame that he has dropped Willis but i wonder whether he's just decided to shuffle his pack. Did notice on next level at half time it looked like Willis was wincing so wonder if anything in that. does seem odd if it's just a dropped but that's Eddie.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 07:41:30 AM »
'Willis, 23, has been carrying a dead leg that caused him to sit out training on Monday. Though that absence may have influenced the thinking for the Ireland game, England have confirmed that his omission from the squad was a selection decision and not a fitness issue.'

Quote from today's Times.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 08:09:29 AM »
he's turning me off internal rugby in selection and play.

Couldn't agree more, I watched most of the Georgia game through half closed eyes, my interest wanes with every new squad selection and every run out.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 08:29:20 AM »
I think Jones' management of new players is appalling. It messes with their heads.

It is not as if Jack Willis has another level to find as a player. He is already the best at what he does and everyone agrees - players and all. There is no added motivation in these circumstances. It is much more likely to be detrimental.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 09:08:11 AM »
Hymoneptera, fully agree. He's managed to mitigate the fact that he has some of the best players in the world with a ridiculous combination of ego, stubbornness and misplaced loyalty.
+2
I converse with a number of EA (especially) supporters elsewhere who think he can't do wrong......but like an Exeter fan, there is a wondering about what you have to do to get selected and then in your best position.

Taking Daly as an example, generally plays centre for the EA's like for us and doesn't look a FB - a position which for me need practice.....in games, and wtf is Itoje doing at 6 within a backrow including Billy V???

As I said to an EA supporter - "as someone who has too often been personally caught out by trying to be too clever, I found the tactic of playing to your obvious strengths is most often the best option" And Jones seems to want to be seen to be clever

He's now showing symptoms of being scarred by losing to SA in the RWC Final, it seems that all action is aimed at having a massive and powerful pack....just as the game moves towards being more mobile and speed biased......

I also don't believe he has player welfare as a priority.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 09:24:23 AM »
And of course - what you have to learn with England is "how to say the right thing to the press to massage Jones' ego"

From Ruck.co.uk

In an interview yesterday, the 23-year-old has promised to knuckle down as he tries to become an England regular.

"Yeah I’d love another opportunity, it would be incredible,” Willis revealed to The Telegraph.

I’ve got to work incredibly hard to improve all areas of my game if I want to keep competing in this back row. There’s some pretty special talent in that mix.

“For everyone in the team, if you don’t continue improving, then you are going to get left behind. At the forefront of my mind is working hard, trying to improve and staying in that mix.

Yeah - I mean the players' player of the year with twice as many turnovers as anyone else has to "improve all areas of his game".....

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2020, 09:37:38 AM »
And of course - what you have to learn with England is "how to say the right thing to the press to massage Jones' ego"

From Ruck.co.uk

In an interview yesterday, the 23-year-old has promised to knuckle down as he tries to become an England regular.

"Yeah I’d love another opportunity, it would be incredible,” Willis revealed to The Telegraph.

I’ve got to work incredibly hard to improve all areas of my game if I want to keep competing in this back row. There’s some pretty special talent in that mix.

“For everyone in the team, if you don’t continue improving, then you are going to get left behind. At the forefront of my mind is working hard, trying to improve and staying in that mix.

Yeah - I mean the players' player of the year with twice as many turnovers as anyone else has to "improve all areas of his game".....

To be fair, I don't think his kicking is up to much.  Maybe that is where Eddie wants to see some improvement?