Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jack Rested?  (Read 5175 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Rested?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2020, 10:02:24 AM »

To be fair, I don't think his kicking is up to much.  Maybe that is where Eddie wants to see some improvement?

:D Thank you for my first genuine smile this morning, which hasn't been one of my best!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
'Willis, 23, has been carrying a dead leg that caused him to sit out training on Monday. Though that absence may have influenced the thinking for the Ireland game, England have confirmed that his omission from the squad was a selection decision and not a fitness issue.'

Quote from today's Times.

Lines up with what we saw of him at half time, rubbing his leg and grimacing.

So he'll be fit by the weekend, but he's brand new to camp, and if he's not training, I'd not have him as a potential player either. He's nowhere near established/familiar enough to be able to get away without training.

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »
As sad as I feel that he isn't going to get the chance to play against Ireland. Part of me does wonder whether it is best for him to have a proper weekend off. I know we'd want him to come back and play against Bristol but unlike the guys who didn't go to England he hasn't had a break. And we all know how EJ likes to beast players.  I think it would do him some good to recharge his batteries prior to either going back into the Eng squad or coming back to us and sticking 2 fingers up to EJ to show why he's totally wrong.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
'Willis, 23, has been carrying a dead leg that caused him to sit out training on Monday. Though that absence may have influenced the thinking for the Ireland game, England have confirmed that his omission from the squad was a selection decision and not a fitness issue.'

So he'll be fit by the weekend, but he's brand new to camp, and if he's not training, I'd not have him as a potential player either. He's nowhere near established/familiar enough to be able to get away without training.
Except they have already stated it wasn't fitness but selection. Ford and Marler are injured but remain in camp long term...explain that.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2020, 03:45:55 PM »
Just read the clarifying explanation from England which paraphrased goes something like "The Irish loose forwards are good so we've picked what we think is our best squad". Fantastic. Also says really happy with Jack, want him to grow and learn blah blah blah.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »
Well, I don't think anyone is surprised by the dropping.
Eddie just being Eddie.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2020, 04:12:26 PM »

Except they have already stated it wasn't fitness but selection. Ford and Marler are injured but remain in camp long term...explain that.

Which means he'll be fit to play at the weekend, not that he'll be fit to train.

Would you include a new player to the team, who's barely trained, and can't train in the runup to a really big game? Or would you go with players who may not be as individually as good, but better in the team due to actually being able to train with the team?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »
That's the interpretation you've chosen to stick with and that's fine, I'll stick with the horses mouth facts.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2020, 04:46:19 PM »
That's the interpretation you've chosen to stick with and that's fine, I'll stick with the horses mouth facts.

Best team selected. Yes. My best team wouldn't include a player who was unable to train either. Do you honestly believe Jack would be better positioned than other more experienced flankers who have been able to train for this game?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
He missed a days training and likely participated in some skills instead and what that missed day actually represents is likely bugger all, Ford's been injured for weeks. He'll likely be replaced by Lewis Bang Average Ludlam, who wouldn't even get in a Wasps XI, so yes I'd take Jack thanks.

Like I said, you do you, that's your entitlement.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2020, 05:16:09 PM »
In light of Bristols absences I think there is probably no need to rely on Jack . Though I could understand maybe having him in a 6/2 split  on bench and bring him on later as a replacement for Jimmy to improve his kicking game.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2020, 06:19:18 PM »
who wouldn't even get in a Wasps XI

Isn't that just too much of a handicap - even for us ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
who wouldn't even get in a Wasps XI

Isn't that just too much of a handicap - even for us ;)

Maybe, but if we had 10  x Jack Willis and a Jimmy Gopperth I'd fancy our chances!