Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Steve Thompson - Dementia  (Read 4250 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Steve Thompson - Dementia
« on: December 08, 2020, 03:40:45 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/08/steve-thompson-former-rugby-union-players-dementia-landmark-legal-case

Whilst sad news for sure...I'm asking myself whether this is acceptable given that everyone knows the dangers and risks of anything they choose to spend their time doing, let alone living the dream.
This could fundamentally affect the game of rugby moving forward.

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Thompson - Dementia
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
Don’t know about fundamentally affect the game, it would kill it stone dead. It would make it impossible play the game in its current form. Welcome to tag rugby for adults

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 03:58:52 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with you.  The game has moved on a lot since 03 in terms of protecting players from head injury.  That doesn't help the players from past generations.  As he says himself in the article, when things suddenly went pro in the mid 90s, training intensity went up significantly, and overall strength and conditioning probably didn't keep up until some years later, so they were training full time and it sounds like coaches didn't all know what to do with their squads all day.

As you say, they went into a dream career knowing the inherent dangers of playing such a physically demanding contact sport.  They may not have fully understood or realised the potential long term implications of that at the time, but hindsight wasn't available to anyone then. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »
Agree with most of that. I think that unless somebody can make a very good case that rugby has changed since"those" days and now monitors and checks players regularly then rugby as we know it is toast.
Sad for those players though. Can't imagine winning a World Cup and not being able to remember it.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 04:53:58 PM »
I/m not clear how it will be better more recently. The Laws bias going into contact bending down and forwards to avoid a choke" tackle increasing the chance of head impacts. And jackalling and "clearing out" are a more recent phenomenon both for me, increasing head injury risk.

If it's shown that rugby has had similar player welfare issues as football and heading the ball, then it's going to be a long haul to restructure the game - but better than what's happened to Steve.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 06:27:02 PM »
That is very sad - & also a major issue for rugby.

Am I right in remembering that Steve was about to join Wasps after he had left Saints but then he didnt?

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »
He joined Wasps but only played once before retiring due to a recurring neck injury.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 06:35:26 PM »
I think he signed a 2/3 year contract but got injured in training with us. Not sure if he played a game or not.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 06:39:22 PM »
Very sad for Thompson.

I hope it doesn't mean wholesale change for rugby. One thing I would consider is the current substitute scenario. Some of the bigger guys can go crazy size wise knowing they've only got to go 50 or 60 mins. Reducing the subs might reduce the size and reduce the ferocity or impact of some of the collisions.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »
He played one game. I remember it (luckily for me) as I was desparate to see him play as he was so good.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »
He played one game. I remember it (luckily for me) as I was desparate to see him play as he was so good.

Thanks i thought he did and we would have been there if it was AP.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
In the same way those affected by asbestos got compensation, despite the risks being unknown at the time, I suspect the players will win their case.  Years ago, when I did an masters in environmental health, we saw that basically, even if at the time everything seemed reasonable, in retrospect the law tends to side with the victim in cases where there is even an inkling that a practice might be dangerous.

I do feel rugby has not taken the issue as  seriously as it could in the past, and it is clear that hia protocols are radically better now than they were. Whether for right or wrong, I suspect the players will win their case.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:45:56 PM by westwaleswasp »

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 09:12:59 PM »
I don't think it's fair to say "they went into the sport knowing full well the dangers" when we definitely didn't know about the huge issue with many low grade concussions and various degenerative brain issues subsequently coming to light. Reading this article about Alix Popham made me feel awful, especially the quotes from his wife about the light being a bit dimmer in his eyes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55208227

Regarding the future of the game, there was an interesting study out not long ago showing scrum caps reduce the force on the head in low-grade collisions, so I would expect them to be mandatory in junior rugby soon and adult rugby eventually.
Study: https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000361

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 06:41:34 AM »
I do feel rugby has not taken the issue as  seriously as it could in the past, and it is clear that hia protocols are radically better now than they were. Whether for right or wrong, I suspect the players will win their case.

After giving this a bit of thought I think you're right and without wanting to get political a family, be it sporting or any other group that does things together, should be seen in the first instance as looking after its own, with the state stepping in as the safety net. Just because something was unforeseen it doesn't mean there isn't a responsibility as a group.

Although we shouldn't forget rugby has changed in many ways to help protect player welfare, its not that long ago that packs would set up a couple of meters apart and charge at each other like raging bulls at scrum time. There's still a few areas of the game that could be tightened up, flying in to the ruck being one of them and constant monitoring of the laws will be needed.

We should also be wary of unintended consequences. It turned out that giving players helmets in American Football just led to players using their heads as battering rams, exacerbating the problem they were trying to fix.

But in the end I'm reminded of something that was taught in the Army, adventure training has to be adventurous. Even in the '80s it was recognised that we had a duty of care when organising something but also that the element of danger was what made doing something worthwhile and you could never derisk it to the point of zero risk. Skiing was the case used on that course. Rugby is the same, its the physical contest that attracts players and spectators alike and without it young athletes will go off and do something else because overcoming risk and danger has its own rewards.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »

Thanks i thought he did and we would have been there if it was AP.

Worcester away 2011.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9623332.stm