Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Half An Hour to Go - Match Thread  (Read 15126 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Half An Hour to Go - Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2021, 06:33:34 PM »
Other game. Spoiler
Annoyingly Glaws were let down by their discipline and we've slipped to fifth :(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2021, 06:57:19 PM »
Wow, what a game. The players worked hard for that.

Thought Juan Dr Jongh was excellent, especially defensively.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2021, 06:58:18 PM »
Other game. Spoiler
Annoyingly Glaws were let down by their discipline and we've slipped to fifth :(

Quite how this was deemed to not even be a penalty I don't quite know...

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
Other game. Spoiler

The most bizarre part is that the TMO reviewed it and said there was no foul play...

The water boy incident at the end was another embarrassing debacle which was further compounded by Dickson’s actions.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2021, 07:36:34 PM »
Other game. Spoiler

I would have said an easy red card

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »
Dickson bottled that. Du Preez shoulder was a yellow all day long. The melee went into the stands and he didn't even look at it. Prior to it Sale slapped deliberately to touch. Skivington was not a happy chap.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2021, 07:46:12 PM »
Looking back on our performance today, I was over the moon with our physicality throughout the game. It was a performance that reminded me of Wasps under Gatland and certainly an encouraging sign moving forward.

When we win much gets said about our oppenents resting players or having an off day, but I think we just manage players better than any other club in the Premiership and have a style of play that makes it difficult for any opposition to play how they want to play.

I think every player did well today. There were a few errors but I think it would be unfair to single out a few mistakes after such a good all round display.

On another note it's been 1,778 days since Simon last scored a try. Not a bad cameo...

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2021, 08:22:34 PM »
Looking back on our performance today, I was over the moon with our physicality throughout the game. It was a performance that reminded me of Wasps under Gatland and certainly an encouraging sign moving forward.

When we win much gets said about our oppenents resting players or having an off day, but I think we just manage players better than any other club in the Premiership and have a style of play that makes it difficult for any opposition to play how they want to play.

I think every player did well today. There were a few errors but I think it would be unfair to single out a few mistakes after such a good all round display.

On another note it's been 1,778 days since Simon last scored a try. Not a bad cameo...

I think that's a good observation. Today we rarely let Exeter settle in to their game and it was similar last week.

Lee said something in one of his interviews about us now having a game that is more than just we don't care how many they score, well score more - that plays well but doesn't win trophies (I paraphrase)

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2021, 09:21:16 PM »
Thought Juan De Jongh was excellent, especially defensively.
Fully agree, thought JDJ had a really impressive game in defence, and made yards with the ball a couple of times too.

Our pack won that game, hugely aggressive in defence and tireless in attack. Shame we couldn't really capitalise on the Capstick yellow but good to keep the ball down Exeter's end for as long as possible even if we aren't scoring. Also great to see our scrum win penalties, once the officials realised it was the Exeter 3 who had his feet too far back we were always on top.

I thought Exeter suffered from a lack of creativity, probably due to not having Hogg or Slade on the pitch. Good to show other teams a) they can be stopped when within 5m and b) if you do so they run out of ideas.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2021, 09:34:01 PM »
Thought Juan De Jongh was excellent, especially defensively.
Fully agree, thought JDJ had a really impressive game in defence, and made yards with the ball a couple of times too.

Our pack won that game, hugely aggressive in defence and tireless in attack. Shame we couldn't really capitalise on the Capstick yellow but good to keep the ball down Exeter's end for as long as possible even if we aren't scoring. Also great to see our scrum win penalties, once the officials realised it was the Exeter 3 who had his feet too far back we were always on top.

I thought Exeter suffered from a lack of creativity, probably due to not having Hogg or Slade on the pitch. Good to show other teams a) they can be stopped when within 5m and b) if you do so they run out of ideas.

Agreed.

I thought Josh Hodge was more threatening as a fullback than O'Flaherty, he wasn't bad just clearly not meant to be a fullback.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2021, 08:19:32 AM »
Robson really used his experience and nouse to really put pressure on Chiefs at the breakdown.

Felt he kept them guessing with play in general, but crucially countered their common tactic of exocet-ing into and disrupting the breakdown causing them to keep getting pinged.

Speaking of 9's something Healey said in the build-up made me think of Youngs.  We all seem perplexed as to what it is some of the pundits, players and coaches see of Youngs' general game.  He has those occasional exceptional games, but too often feels pedestrian in getting the ball away and his decision making.

Healey spoke about 9's mixing it up and instead of simply firing the ball away from the base of the rucks to pick it up and take a step-or-two (aka the Youngs crab) to help keep the defence honest.  Suggested it causes confusion, opening up gaps.  Whereas just getting the ball away even quickly allows the first 3 defenders outside of the ruck to blitz heavily, eating up space and pressuring the 10.

Hadn't thought of it before like that (although in Youngs' case it feels like he often takes the step, the defence blitz then he passes to the 10 who is under pressure).

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2021, 09:26:36 AM »
Interesting point. I first got frustrated with Youngs because his step was backwards, giving the defence more time to blitz, as you say. I hadn't taken in any change, I'll have a closer look next time.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2021, 09:33:50 AM »
Robson really used his experience and nouse to really put pressure on Chiefs at the breakdown.

Felt he kept them guessing with play in general, but crucially countered their common tactic of exocet-ing into and disrupting the breakdown causing them to keep getting pinged.

There were a couple of little dinks over the top in Exeter's 22 that didn't quite come off. Frustrating at the time as they conceded possession in a strong position, but as you say, it keeps them guessing and makes them think twice before flying in and exposing space behind.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2021, 09:43:11 AM »
True.  But, when you’re getting the ball back with relative ease, then conceding possession like that in their 22 isn’t such a gamble.  It shows the confidence of the squad as a whole in their ability to defend and then turnover. 

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2021, 11:41:32 AM »

Speaking of 9's something Healey said in the build-up made me think of Youngs.  We all seem perplexed as to what it is some of the pundits, players and coaches see of Youngs' general game.  He has those occasional exceptional games, but too often feels pedestrian in getting the ball away and his decision making.

Healey spoke about 9's mixing it up and instead of simply firing the ball away from the base of the rucks to pick it up and take a step-or-two (aka the Youngs crab) to help keep the defence honest.  Suggested it causes confusion, opening up gaps.  Whereas just getting the ball away even quickly allows the first 3 defenders outside of the ruck to blitz heavily, eating up space and pressuring the 10.

Hadn't thought of it before like that (although in Youngs' case it feels like he often takes the step, the defence blitz then he passes to the 10 who is under pressure).

I thought exactly this when he ran the demo. I think the difference is creating space for Farrell or one out runners all game becomes one dimensional again whereas Robson creating space for Umaga to pull the strings has some impact