Always a Wasp

Author Topic: reckless  (Read 1557 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
reckless
« on: January 08, 2021, 11:35:05 AM »
I see Dan Du Preez of Sale has banned for three weeks for a reckless clear out, which we all saw but the TMO and reff. thought was OK, does anyone think the reff. and TMO should also be sanctioned, the charge being putting players at risk. Is it not about time officials faced up to their incompetence. Thoughts.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: reckless
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:46:04 AM »
Coaching staff and players are interviewed after the match - why not officials?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 11:50:18 AM »
I wouldn't regard a referee making a mistake as "incompetence". Unless that referee was JP Doyle :)

All referees are assessed & critiqued so I expect the whole team off officials will be given some learning points around something like this. Not sure who the head ref is these days.
I would suggest that a referee, a TJ & a TMO should be able to come up with the correct result more often than not, which I think they do.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »
The officials didn't in that match
2 reckless/dangerous clear outs got bans. Du Preez was reviewed so they failed lamentably there, while Slater's wasn;t spotted by any official. he got 4 weeks because he didn;t have a clean recods

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 12:13:08 PM »
I agree most times the reffs. get it right but in that match there was so much wrong I would say they were incompetent, the debacle at the end was fascial, ie rewarding a team that blatantly cheats.   

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 12:17:24 PM »
Made me wonder if Slaters got pointed out to them at some point ,so allowed second one as tit for tat.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 12:45:00 PM »
Refs have a hard job. With players being cited i think questions should be asked of the TMO as to why he missed the occurrence.  In this match it was more than one so he/she needed to be questioned and assessed.
Another point is what the touchjudges do. They are supposed to be watching the play but rarely indicate anything other than some offsides and scrum defects.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 01:03:37 PM »
Difficult job undeniably but I do wonder if some referees shy away from taking the appropriate action during the match knowing that the citing panel will "deal with it" after the match. They're a little too worried about potentially incorrectly red carding a player which could easily change the outcome of the game. The problem with that is that the team they were playing gets little or no benefit from a subsequent ban that the citing panel issues. That's why I feel that Andrew Brace deserves credit for making an assertive judgement regarding the reckless high tackle on Will Porter at the beginning of our match against Montpellier. We were able to benefit from playing 14 men for most of the game.

Would Gloucester have beaten Sale had Du Preez been red carded? Given that Slater should also have walked in the same match who can tell but it wasn't the best officiated game.

One of the things I was taught when I was refereeing is that the punishment should be just. For that reason I think they also got it wrong with the waterboy incident. The waterboy touched the ball deliberately to prevent Glous taking a quick throw in. Twelvetrees shouldn't have reacted as he did but he got yellow carded and a penalty awarded to Sale so the waterboy's cheating was rewarded, that's plain wrong. Should have given Twelvetrees a warning and awarded Glous the penalty.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:24:02 PM »
The team that cheats being rewarded, happens quite a lot, I remember the Haskell incident with Mrs wind up, strangle player with scrum cap then squirt water over said player, player reacts (understandable) player gets carded, Danny Clare big smile.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 02:07:40 PM »
The team that cheats being rewarded, happens quite a lot, I remember the Haskell incident with Mrs wind up, strangle player with scrum cap then squirt water over said player, player reacts (understandable) player gets carded, Danny Clare big smile.
Yes that one came to mind when in the other game a player was pinged for a pat on the head