Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 4499 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 11:31:37 AM »
Slight change of subject, still TRP. Anybody read the article (page 18) about Will Taylor, formerly of this parish. Is the photo printed with the article a pic of Phil Swainston not Will Taylor? Wasn’t that the shot taken, can’t remember the match, when we had scored to win the game and Phil gave it the ‘gorilla roar’ bit stood on the touchline?

Saw that and thought the same.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 12:05:22 PM »
Me too; I think we were at the match.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 12:35:21 PM »
Phil Swainston.... Legend...
If only for the scrum penalty against Leicester (against Mulipola?)

And more importantly, the victory dance

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 02:32:08 PM »
In our Academy, at Uni right now (might be his second year, or maybe first year), is Ollie Monye (yes, THAT family). A scrum half, and, in the games I have seen, very good. I only saw him as a schoolboy then, so he was relatively slight, but, no doubt will bulk a little in his late teens.

What relation to Ugo is he?
Surprised that he wouldn't have signed for Quins if he was related.
I assume it's not his son otherwise he'd likely be London based

He is his nephew. Ollie went to Oratory School in Reading. I think he is in his first year at Uni, but I guess will be studying from home, as they all are. He has a uni contract with Wasps.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »
If it's our choice I'm surprised we're letting Vellacott go. Personally I still think Porter and Wolstenholme have a long way to go whereas BV sits somewhere between Robson and them. We'll be without Robson for a while with internationals and for me Vellacott would have filled that gap.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 03:54:58 PM »
If it's our choice I'm surprised we're letting Vellacott go. Personally I still think Porter and Wolstenholme have a long way to go whereas BV sits somewhere between Robson and them. We'll be without Robson for a while with internationals and for me Vellacott would have filled that gap.

This would all be correct. Except, Vellacott hasn't ever hit the form we anticipated. Granted Injury didn't help things, but since he's been given opportunities alongside Wolstenholme and Porter, Vellacott is the only one who hasn't impressed me. I'd argue they show more potential than Vellacott. Plus he's a lot more expensive.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 04:00:19 PM »
Due to lack of opportunities, he's only shown as much as the other 2. If anything, Porter has looked the better of the two. Unfortunately, we can only go off what we've seen, as can the coaches. If they feel Porter and Wols can do the job as well, along with some form of 4th choice, Vellacott is an expensive player to keep on.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 05:15:36 PM »
I don't think Porter and Wolstenholme have been as good as Vellacott. They are both great prospects. But I thought the Gloucester and Sale games were microcosms of where they both are. Which is still with a lot of knowhow and execution to go. That will come. But it's not there yet and making them basically first choice at international time is throwing them in at the deep end to get the experience they need. I like Porters attitude to the game though.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 06:18:30 PM »
In motorsport .. everyone looks at the person at the track doing fast laps .. they are the fastest person but there is someone else who's probably stacking bottles at that track who, given the chance, will have a better pace, but has never been given the opportunity.

Porter and Wolstie have grabbed every opportunity and haven't let Wasps down

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »
The problem with Vellacott is that he was outstanding at the Donkeys playing SH and on the Wing. He looked a great signing but ended up badly damaged at the beginning of the season. Wolstenholme took his chance and really didn't let us down. Late on Porter came up and again didn't disgrace himself. Vellacott has found few chances to showcase himself and unfortunately when he did he seemed slower somehow. He is of the age that he needs a "re-boot". Shame but needs must from his point of view.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:24:11 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 06:50:19 PM »
I'm not saying they let us down, just that they aren't as good as Vellacott - in my opinion. For me Wolstenholme struggled in the Glaws game as did Porter v Sale. Of course I wouldn't judge them on that micro sample but I just don't think they are ready. Great for depth and will probably end up being better than BV with experience.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 07:22:02 PM »
De we know if Vellacott even wants to stay? It hasn't been a happy move so far and he must be looking over his should at what's coming through and wondering how much game time he's going to get.

If he wants to go to get  more game time no amount of money will keep him, nor should it. He should go with everyone's best wishes.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 09:15:24 AM »
If we are losing Brookes, and you can't blame him for a bit of a sun and cash, then we need to invest what is quite a big wedge in a established, scrummaging prop.

I wonder how effectively we brought the team lower under the cap with the salary renegotiations?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2021, 09:25:54 AM »
Oh, and who is Hislop?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2021, 09:28:54 AM »
Oh, and who is Hislop?

Doncaster Knights loosehead, had some time on load at Saracens last season.