Always a Wasp

Author Topic: How to restore confidence?  (Read 4367 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
How to restore confidence?
« on: February 06, 2021, 04:05:11 PM »
We currently have an exciting crop of youngsters that are bursting with potential but need careful management. I suppose the case in point is Umaga. Two poor games from him so what's the best way? Do we give him time out of the firing line? We can easily do it with options at 10. Or do we keep selecting him and hope he plays through it? We do have to bear in mind he has less than 30 prem games. Maybe it's time for Atkinson to get a string of games. But we seem to be pinning our colours to the mast in terms of him being our main 10 so will dropping him do more damage?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: How to restore confidence?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »
I think it should be made quite clear that missing touch from penalty kicks is unacceptable. Of course a long kick to the 5 metre line is great. But it is better to keep possession with a less ambitious kick to the 15 or even the 22 metre line which is way better than turning the ball over. I know I am stating the obvious but it is incredibly frustrating for all especially the players.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 04:20:03 PM »
I think it should be made quite clear that missing touch from penalty kicks is unacceptable. Of course a long kick to the 5 metre line is great. But it is better to keep possession with a less ambitious kick to the 15 or even the 22 metre line which is way better than turning the ball over. I know I am stating the obvious but it is incredibly frustrating for all especially the players.
The problem is that when those long kicks in to the corner come off we all rave about how great they are when really we should be saying he didn't need to do that, but that 's never going happen.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 04:27:07 PM »
Back when we had this squad at the start of last season, while Dai was still here, I was convinced it was down to coaching and we needed to have a new head coach.

But I was wrong. A lot of people on here were convinced it was confidence, and we just needed a winning attitude. I believe the same can be applied here. I think if we win they'll gain confidence and get better. Balance the losing and learning with the winning and confidence. They're still very young.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »
The problem is that when those long kicks in to the corner come off we all rave about how great they are when really we should be saying he didn't need to do that, but that 's never going happen.

Yes pushing the boundary is exciting to watch, but clearly it hasn’t been working well of late. But more importantly in a game like that, with minutes left on the clock and a 5 point deficit, a more pragmatic approach should of been taken. Ambitions needs to be aligned to the reality of a situation.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 05:21:50 PM »
We'd also rave if they were 5 meters less. The fact is that you don't need to be hitting the 5 meter line, it's either showboating or arrogance, i'm undecided. Be a professional, hit your basics before you start chancing your arm on every penalty. This has been going on for many games, when does enough become enough. Fine if your streaking ahead but when your up against it it's killing the team.

Atkinson keeps the jersey until he doesn't. Its ok putting an arm around Umaga but he keeps showing the same deficiencies and what message does it give Atkinson who has played well but still isn't picked on form. At just 19, he has serious promise and this is the year to see how much it can grow.
Umaga needs to learn to how to pass and catch a ball before he's allowed to influence this team.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 05:23:17 PM »
We do need a functioning Josh Bassett back.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 05:33:44 PM »
Ryan mills back fit could be the glue the back line needs as well as Jimmy has played a lot recently and can’t keep relying on him to aid the young half backs.
Might be time for Vailanu to get a game soon to add a different dimension to us in the carry

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 06:10:09 PM »
We'd also rave if they were 5 meters less. The fact is that you don't need to be hitting the 5 meter line, it's either showboating or arrogance, i'm undecided. Be a professional, hit your basics before you start chancing your arm on every penalty. This has been going on for many games, when does enough become enough. Fine if your streaking ahead but when your up against it it's killing the team.

Indeed. Very true. When I started playing rugby over 60 years ago. It was hammered into us that we had to secure our own ball. Without the pill, you didn't score.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 06:54:12 PM »
We do need a functioning Josh Bassett back.

Agree. We desperately need him back. Last week it was reported he’d be out for 2 weeks so hopefully he’ll be in contention for Sixways.

BB reported Mills was “2 weeks away” from returning to training on 25th January so he could also be in contention for next week but probably the week after.

McIntyre’s calf injury is another concern too.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 07:30:11 PM »
I genuinely think Umaga's issue is EJ.

When Lee gave him complete freedom to play his own game he was great. The odd mistake, but generally brilliant.

So good in fact he ended up in an England training camp. He came away with instructions on how to play in order to "improve" his game and suddenly he is no longer playing with flair, he's Farrell lite and terrible at it.

He needs someone he trusts to tell him that playing his own game got him into the squad, and Wasps to the final.

He can smile and nod at EJ as much as he needs to, but he needs to be the authentic Jacob Umaga on the pitch.  Not the dull, unimaginative kicker he is trying to emulate.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 07:47:30 PM »

When Lee gave him complete freedom to play his own game he was great. The odd mistake, but generally brilliant.

So good in fact he ended up in an England training camp. He came away with instructions on how to play in order to "improve" his game and suddenly he is no longer playing with flair, he's Farrell lite and terrible at it.

He needs someone he trusts to tell him that playing his own game got him into the squad, and Wasps to the final.

He can smile and nod at EJ as much as he needs to, but he needs to be the authentic Jacob Umaga on the pitch.  Not the dull, unimaginative kicker he is trying to emulate.

Well said.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 08:02:35 PM »
The same happened when Hughes tried to be Vunipola. There may be truth in it but in reality today we're talking about a kick to touch and a dreadful pass that butchered a certain try. They are core skills - the basics. Whether it's EJ or not it's certainly a massive lack of confidence.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 08:22:51 PM »

Your not suggesting that EJ has instructed him to drop passes, miss penalties to touch and pass forward are you? These are things that Farrel can't be accused of. Respectfully, that's poor reasoning.
He got selected whilst widely regarded as not as good as Simmons nor Smith...much like Youngs gets selected as not being anywhere near the best English 9. EJ selection is a joke and baseless in any argument, he selected Atkinson after 3 appearances! I'd love to blame EJ but in this case I can't.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 10:11:08 PM »

Your not suggesting that EJ has instructed him to drop passes, miss penalties to touch and pass forward are you? These are things that Farrel can't be accused of. Respectfully, that's poor reasoning.
He got selected whilst widely regarded as not as good as Simmons nor Smith...much like Youngs gets selected as not being anywhere near the best English 9. EJ selection is a joke and baseless in any argument, he selected Atkinson after 3 appearances! I'd love to blame EJ but in this case I can't.

No I'm clearly not suggesting that.

The end of Dai's tenure showed very clearly what happens to talented players when you crush their confidence by trying to get them play in a way that isn't natural for them.

Jacob is young and struggling for confidence because his long-term prospects ride on impressing a man who wants him to play the game a different way.

I guarantee he knows he is failing. So right now he is failing Wasps, and also failing to impress EJ enough to actually get into the squad.

That has clearly had a big effect on him.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here