Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Italy's front row strategy  (Read 1086 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Italy's front row strategy
« on: February 15, 2021, 08:07:26 AM »

So it seems that Italy started with their 2nd choice props and bright their first choice ones on during the first half.

According to Ben Kay, the theory is that your 2nd choice props blow themselves out for 30 minutes and then get replaced.
On comes the first choice props and put themselves about for 10 minutes before getting a rest at half time.
They've then got 40 minutes against a tiring or 2nd choice opposition front row

On the face of it, this seems very logical.

Ben Kay stated that the biggest downside is if the 1st choice prop gets injured, but I doubt this is really a major problem given that the starting prop has probably had a significant rest.

Any other thoughts on this?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Italy's front row strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »
Excuse  my dimness, but isn't there a risk of running out  of players if some  (any)  of the  2nd half players (who are the 1st choice players)  get injured?  Seemingly there wouldn't be anyone to replace them  as any replacements would have already been used up.  in the first half.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:33:23 AM »
Are you allowed to sub back on front row players in case of injury to avoid uncontested scrums?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:36:02 AM »
Excuse  my dimness, but isn't there a risk of running out  of players if some  (any)  of the  2nd half players (who are the 1st choice players)  get injured?  Seemingly there wouldn't be anyone to replace them  as any replacements would have already been used up.  in the first half.

Surely that works both ways round?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:42:51 AM »

I think it would be a strategy specifically for the front row.
You are allowed to bring front row players back on in the event of an injury to a front row player on the pitch

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 08:57:00 AM »
In theory sounds a reasonable strategy. and if your second choice were going well you could leave them on for longer.

Might work for a while but If it proved to be be a success then teams playing you would adopt the same strategy and you would be back to square one.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 10:16:41 AM »
Main problem for me is that by the time your best players come on you've already lost.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 04:07:37 PM »
I though this was interesting tactic when mentioned but surely works the same as starting your first choice front row -  They smash it for 40 mins, recharge for HT and then have a final burst before being on the second string.

We saw the importance of needing our first choice TH starting against Saints

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 06:39:57 PM »

I wonder if there's any stats for the number of scrums in the first 30 minutes v the last 30 minutes.

Are there less knock ons when players are fresh, and more later in the game when they're a bit tired?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 07:36:08 PM »
Wales used to do it with Adam Jones when he was first around, he was their best scrummager so played first 30 minutes but wasn't considered fit enough to do any more, one game he had scored and been subbed by 30 minutes!