Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 'Fatigued' Wasps get three days off to help shake 2019/20 hangover  (Read 2282 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 'Fatigued' Wasps get three days off to help shake 2019/20 hangover
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 09:19:16 AM »
By God they look as if they need it. Yet even this week Lee said they only did a Tuesday training session and a Thursday Captains run .

I suppose if you consider a "normal" season the squad have mainly had short holiday breaks to recharge. Might do them good.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 02:16:48 PM »
By God they look as if they need it. Yet even this week Lee said they only did a Tuesday training session and a Thursday Captains run .

I suppose if you consider a "normal" season the squad have mainly had short holiday breaks to recharge. Might do them good.
When you say 'normal' season..
European cup was cut short..players just got a 2 weeks break.
This was proceeded by a 6 months break.
We played 1 game more than Bristol & Exeter for the 2020 season, who are currently 1st and 2nd, and 2 games more than the rest of the league, then a months break before a restart.
I don't get it.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 02:26:56 PM »

When you say 'normal' season..
European cup was cut short..players just got a 2 weeks break.
This was proceeded by a 6 months break.
We played 1 game more than Bristol & Exeter for the 2020 season, who are currently 1st and 2nd, and 2 games more than the rest of the league, then a months break before a restart.
I don't get it.
I get exactly what you're saying, but I think intense second half of season + no proper break (I'm talkingmost of June, July and most of August off usually, not just 2 weeks) and play another season on top of that.

This may be affecting performances, we'll just have to find out next season. That way we cannot keep coming up with this as an excuse.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 02:47:07 PM »
I wonder how the other 11 teams are not affected in same manor having played the same structure....waiting until mid 2022 doesn't seem an appropriate action.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 02:53:55 PM »
Regards the other teams, have they got better quality cover in key positions?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »
I wonder how the other 11 teams are not affected in same manor having played the same structure....waiting until mid 2022 doesn't seem an appropriate action.

Exacerbated by injuries and certain players not being rotated at all.

You're right to a certain extent.

But honestly it could be anything. We're not sacking the whole squad and coaching structure after our success last season, almost winning the prem.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 03:02:07 PM »

A good number of the other teams have had enforced Covid breaks. BT said only Wasps and Exeter have not.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »

A good number of the other teams have had enforced Covid breaks. BT said only Wasps and Exeter have not.
And Exeter not exactly firing as they have done over last 3/4 seasons

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 03:16:52 PM »
Doesn't really matter if they should need it or not or whether others don't. The fact is we do.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »
I doubt other teams haven't had injuries, rotate their entire squad every week and had a weeks break, making all the difference ....suspect these are guesses rather than facts.
No one needs sacking at all, but making excuses is a form of denial. IMO Lee should stop spouting it and supporters should stop feeding it.
Currently watch Sale Saints, neither team appears tired and plenty of creativity on tap without reinventing the wheel, basic rugby +10%.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 03:25:05 PM »
Doesn't really matter if they should need it or not or whether others don't. The fact is we do.
Based on what Shugs, your gut fell or Lee's say so?
Actually, the only thing that matters is why. Root Cause Analysis is the only way to solve a symptomatic issue or impact.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »
Based on what Shugs, your gut fell or Lee's say so?
Actually, the only thing that matters is why. Root Cause Analysis is the only way to solve a symptomatic issue or impact.
Based on Lee's say so. He works with them day in day out. You seem to suggest that his thought process should be identifying that he thinks they need a break but then saying no, hold on Sale/Bristol etc aren't tired so I'll get them in. I imagine it's intended to be a mental re-set as much as physical anyway. As to why could be any number of things. Some might not really need it. But what harm can it do?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 03:53:46 PM »
You know thats not what i am saying.
Without knowing the cause, you'll never solve the problem. If its affecting just Wasps, knowing why is a must.
Without fact, it appears Lee is clutching at straws...which isn't a good look.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 04:08:29 PM »
Let's be honest, he could give them a month off and it might make no difference. What they really need is a win. That would do more than anything energy wise. A run of defeats and you start looking at things like this - he said it himself last night. We just need to go back to basics a bit and grind one out.