Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread (not necessarily Wasps specific).  (Read 20626 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Rumours thread (not necessarily Wasps specific).
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »
Heard/read anything?

So we've got a world class fly half from France.  Cips moving on? Or just getting ready in case he does.

A potential tighthead (Marty Moore to Ulster being a rumour).  Don't mind that too much, Moore hasn't impressed as much as I'd hoped.

Brad Shields apparently being courted by us too, perhaps a sign we're losing someone (Hask still hasn't re-signed).

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread (not necessarily Wasps specific).
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »
Marty Moore is a strange one... I don't mean the rumours, I mean his performances.
In some games, he appears to be a stronger scrummager than JCW, but in others, it's the other way around.

There's obviously a number of factors, including injuries and fatigue, but also that sometimes your technique matches up better with certain opponents.
I'm still not sure who the better scrumagger is, but I'm usually happier when JCW is starting.

I wonder if any new potential TH would be as a starter, or as 2nd choice / compete with JCW

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:14:53 PM »
Marty Moore is a strange one... I don't mean the rumours, I mean his performances.
In some games, he appears to be a stronger scrummager than JCW, but in others, it's the other way around.

There's obviously a number of factors, including injuries and fatigue, but also that sometimes your technique matches up better with certain opponents.
I'm still not sure who the better scrumagger is, but I'm usually happier when JCW is starting.

I wonder if any new potential TH would be as a starter, or as 2nd choice / compete with JCW

Not strange at all IMO, you've answered your own question.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
Someone on the other site said Brad Shields was interested in coming to England. I think they said both his parents are English. Suggested Wasps was a possibility. Next season of course.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »
Technically I've got no problem with Marty Moore, I have just lost count how many times he has come on a replacement and subsequently the starter has had to come back on owing to injury.  Last season when him and JCW were competiting to be the most injured prop made us appear very vulnerable.

As for fly half, even if Cips stays I can imagine that we might look at Gopps as FB with Miller once WLR has gone. Therefore a replacement fly half may well be required. 

Brad Shields is an exciting potential signing, it does make you wonder who we might be expecting to leave/see less of next year. Haskell, Jones (I hope not) or AJ?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:28:37 PM »
Apparently Steve Mafi  is keen on a move back to the AP and being courted by a number of clubs. Tiggers appears to be the most likely destination.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
WRT the fly half debate: where do we see the academy guys fitting into the equation?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »
Not seen either for a while but Eastgate has looked OK to me, but he's not struck me as anything more than perhaps solid squad level.  Umaga I think has the skills, but needs that PI muscle to come in.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
Not seen either for a while but Eastgate has looked OK to me, but he's not struck me as anything more than perhaps solid squad level.  Umaga I think has the skills, but needs that PI muscle to come in.

I wonder if James could do a job there, there's elements of his game reminds me of a young Cips.It seems though that Umaga is destined to be a 12 and James a FB.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »

Both starting against Ospreys. Interesting to see how they go.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »

I wonder if James could do a job there, there's elements of his game reminds me of a young Cips.It seems though that Umaga is destined to be a 12 and James a FB.

Rob Smith says James plays well at FB and 10. He says he reminds him of younger Cips when he was that age.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »

Rob Smith says James plays well at FB and 10. He says he reminds him of younger Cips when he was that age.

Cheers NWW, good to hear.

By the way I think I may have met you at the Chiefs game, were you in the group 0f 8-10 blokes, they asked me to take a picture, but the blokes phone wasn't working?? Were you with them.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
By the way I think I may have met you at the Chiefs game, were you in the group 0f 8-10 blokes, they asked me to take a picture, but the blokes phone wasn't working?? Were you with them.

'Fraid not. Mind you, if looking at my photo on my avatar you think other poor bloke looks like me. Ouch. I pity him. Last time I went to Sandy Park was at the end of the season two years ago.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »

'Fraid not. Mind you, if looking at my photo on my avatar you think other poor bloke looks like me. Ouch. I pity him. Last time I went to Sandy Park was at the end of the season two years ago.

:D Then you do indeed have a doppelganger!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »

:D Then you do indeed have a doppelganger!

Poor bloke. And, in my case (due to hair colour), he would be a doppleginger!!

Which reminds me. My surname is Nelmes. When I went to the semi against Sarries at the Madejski 2 years ago, they had a printed list to check names off on the offy coaches. Under my name was a Nelmes I did not know. Curious. Not so many of us around.