Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Covid Passport - In Trepidation  (Read 4274 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Covid Passport - In Trepidation
« on: April 06, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »
General question about future access to Wasps matches at the Ricoh.

If the club were told (say) you can have 5,000 in but greatly distanced or half your capacity (or more) if you use a CP method which would everyone prefer and use.

Personally I am of an age and have travelled weird enough places so still have disease immunisation certification (Yellow Fever etc) so it doesn't bother me one bit. I know other countries/airlines are certain to impose them so I am of the view if I have one why not use it.

However there seems to be resistance. Certainly when I go to the O2 with 20k other punters I would like the persons around me to be as covered as I am (Vaccinated).

Thoughts without nasty comments.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Passport - In Trepidation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 10:59:54 AM »
Doubt there is going to be much Wasps news this week so ..
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 11:44:12 AM »
I prefer any CP to not be phone based. To travel all that way and be done over by a low battery would be sickening!
I am an old fashioned hard copy person.
Not going to comment on the wrongs and rights of covid passports, merely my preference for paper.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 11:48:50 AM »
Just like I'm keen to get my second jab (hopefully on Friday although I haven't got an invite yet)
I'm also keen to get a CP, if only so that I can prove, if asked, that I present almost no risk of spreading COViD.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
www,
A good point. I use my mobile phone as a phone, nothing else. It's not connected to the web, I can't get emails on it. So a phone-based CP would be no use to me at all.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
Even less use to  me, as I don't have one  - mobile phone, that is. 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:17:23 PM »
Even less use to  me, as I don't have one  - mobile phone, that is.

Me neither. Digital CP is a non starter.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »
I believe Covid Passports will be paper and phone based. Personally I'd prefer the phone based option as I am quite tech savvy and even use my watch to pay for things now, but I recognise it's not for everyone (I think I'd rather stick my head in an oven then have to explain mobile phone apps to my uncle). I do find the fuss over having to carry documentation as being a bit ridiculous. There won't be an expectation that you'll have to carry documents the size of War & Peace with you. Most likely it'll be credit card sized so it can fit in a purse or wallet.

Personally I think they represent the only way forward. I can't see many countries not insisting on evidence of vaccination as an entry requirement over the next 10 years and some airlines have already said they will not accept passengers who haven't been vaccinated. I for one would feel much safer going to events/public places where I know people are vaccinated or have recent negative tests than where they aren't required. If after the past 13 months the price for things getting back to normal is having to show a screen on my phone or a card before I'm allowed into places, then it's a small price to pay in order to get back on with life.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
+1 why would anyone not want one?, if i had a choice of pubs with one admitting anybody and the other only passport holders I know which one I'd go to,   

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 01:30:48 PM »
No problem with CP at all. It provides an avenue to normality without putting people at risk.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »
I don't think it will be quite as easy as Boris seems to think. Nothing new there though.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 02:27:26 PM »
I don't think it will be quite as easy as Boris seems to think. Nothing new there though.

It will be interesting to see whether we follow the path of Israel, where things are getting back to normal, or Chile, where despite a quick vaccination programme, rates are on the increase. Prof Whitty made an interesting point yesterday about Chile and the vaccines they have used. Israel has relied on Pfizer exclusively, which being a small but wealthy country they could afford to do, whereas Chile has used some Pfizer, but has predominantly relied on the CoronaVac vaccine from China, which has an efficiency rate of 50%.

Given the Oxford vaccine offers greater protection, and that we've waited until we're much further into the vaccination programme then Chile did before relaxing restrictions, we should be much better placed.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »
I can't see an issue with it. Although I've not had a vaccination yet due to my age I go and have a lateral flow test every Saturday, it takes twenty minutes out of my day and gives my family peace of mind. As long as that test result gets me into places until I get the vaccine I'm happy.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 02:43:19 PM »
Just like I'm keen to get my second jab (hopefully on Friday although I haven't got an invite yet)
I'm also keen to get a CP, if only so that I can prove, if asked, that I present almost no risk of spreading COViD.

I thought getting a vaccine reduced your risk of getting sick, lowered severity of symptoms. I have seen nothing that says it stops an individual being a carrier or spreading the disease.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 02:49:16 PM »
No problem with CP at all. It provides an avenue to normality without putting people at risk.

And yet whenever asked the Great British public shuns ID cards as an unwanted government intrusion on civil liberties. Take away their ability to go to the pub though......

I believe the countries have done best at keeping things under control, Israel and SIngapore for example, are those that have much more "control" of the information about their citizens. Even Australia, that for years has been criticised for its border control methods are now being congratulated for the way they have largely kept CoVid out. They'll be years of arguing about resultant government policy changes ahead.

I currently avoid those establishments in London that are obliged to scan copies of ID for entry. Why would you want those semi-literate oafs on the door to have copies of your passport of driving license? It's a slippery slope once every establishment goes down this route to roll it back. That isn't back to normality. It's a data breach nightmare.