Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Bath: Post match thoughts.  (Read 3676 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Bath: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 07:45:27 PM »
Well, that was better. We won lineouts. Delivery of the ball down the line was better. Fekitoa was back to normal. Jacob started to believe in himself. We tackled better (except in the red zone). We made less mistakes, gave away less ball, conceded less penalties.

A two week may be needed for Odogwu, but he really needs to be in the centre, not on the wing, or else he really needs to go hunting for ball off the wing, like Nowell does.

Sadly, Joe may be out for the rest of the season, certainly for many weeks. Brookes looked like he took a knock.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 08:08:37 PM »
Worries- we looked totally underpowered in the last 40. We need more beef.
Relief- we looked dangerous as our half backs played well.
Happy- set piece looked good.

Sad- Joe's chance of a Lions tour probably gone.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 08:10:46 PM »
One thing I did notice was that the non-playing squad members were back in attendance. I don't think it's a coincidence our form has declined since they were banned from the stadium.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 08:50:24 PM »
Umaga's best game for some time. His confidence has appeared to be shattered at times in the past few months, but looked on the way back to his best today, and picking up MoM will provide a further welcome confidence boost. Was hoping he'd get it for that reason alone.

Still work to be done, but following improved performances against Clermont and Exeter (in part), this was a win that's been coming and can hopefully take us on to more of the same in the 5 remaining games, all of which are winnable.

One player worthy of special mention is Ben Morris who is now 100% in that back row selection mix where we already have plenty of options. Wonder if this might allow Shields to move into the 2nd row more while Launch is out.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 09:28:42 PM »
One player worthy of special mention is Ben Morris who is now 100% in that back row selection mix where we already have plenty of options. Wonder if this might allow Shields to move into the 2nd row more while Launch is out.

I have to admit, when I first saw Ben I was a bit underwhelmed - he looked out of his class. But he has come on. The lad did good today. As to moving Shields to 2nd Row? You can't be serious?

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2021, 09:29:23 PM »
I think we need to beef the pack up too. Jacob playing behind a dominant pack each week will get us moving in the right direction.
Stooke will help but could do with another lump in there somewhere

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2021, 09:35:15 PM »
I just wonder whether with all the noise around the pandemic and our run to the final last year that we may of forgotten that Jacob is experiencing "second season syndrome"? The problem when you burn so bright is that you will be targeted! Yes his kicking game needs work, however when he plays to his instincts, hits the gain line flat, and plays heads up rugby, he is quality, and he is still developing! Umaga and Atkinson could be the perfect foils for one another. Work together, switch in and out of the team and suddenly you have a pairing that not only could benefit us for more than a decade, but could be the leading edge of leading others to follow in their footsteps!

Will we look back and see this game as the day we began to develop long standing success? It possibly could be!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2021, 10:07:54 PM »
Umaga and Atkinson could be the perfect foils for one another. Work together, switch in and out of the team and suddenly you have a pairing that not only could benefit us for more than a decade, but could be the leading edge of leading others to follow in their footsteps!

I'm really nervous about them. They're both very exciting prospects, very uncertain about whether we'll keep them both. We're blessed for young talented 10s.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 10:14:27 PM »
It's crucial that our recruitment is based on keeping our pack dominant. A confident Umaga and Atkinson will be fine off front foot ball. I think we may see some props recruited alongside Stooke.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2021, 10:22:22 PM »
Umaga and Atkinson could be the perfect foils for one another. Work together, switch in and out of the team and suddenly you have a pairing that not only could benefit us for more than a decade, but could be the leading edge of leading others to follow in their footsteps!

I'm really nervous about them. They're both very exciting prospects, very uncertain about whether we'll keep them both. We're blessed for young talented 10s.

To get one massive talent is fantastic, to get two is a blessing. I just hope that the players and the club realise that in the modern game that to be at the top is to have 2 working in unison. If we get this right it could be massive!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2021, 10:23:55 PM »
Launchbury - looks to me like an 8-12 week injury rather than a 6-8 month surgical reconstruction.

Probably.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2021, 10:48:19 PM »
Launchbury - looks to me like an 8-12 week injury rather than a 6-8 month surgical reconstruction.

Probably.

Unfortunately without you or i getting "hands on" we will have to wait and see....I hope you are right though!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 07:53:45 AM »
I watched the game late yesterday evening without knowing the score so went on the same emotional roller coaster ride as those who watched the game live else and was quite exhausted when we got off at the top, for once. Yes, we had the rub of the green on a few occasions, but we also butchered two golden opportunities that a confident Wasps side would have walked in as if it was a Sunday afternoon picnic in the park.

Its great to see Jacob getting his confidence back, all teams need a confident 10 but Wasps even more so if we are to play in the style that is in the DNA - I'd go further and say we need one who plays with a bit of arrogance and he's got it when at his best. I still worry about his tackle technique, he's brave but often gets his head in the wrong position and because he gets hidden away defensively when he is exposed its to bigger forwards. Still, you cant have everything in a young player and I'm sure its being worked on.

Jacob can't do his job without some quick ball and Dobbie had a good game and was close to his best. No flashy breaks but quick to the breakdown with his head up and fast accurate distribution, "that" pass not withstanding. But he can't do his job without the back row doing theirs and they were all outstanding. I was a bit concerned about some of his box kicks but the centres and backs worked hard to get to them.

Brad showed his leadership qualities again, especially in defence on our own line. YY just gets on with it as always  and his try scoring record is testament to his contribution, thank you Wales. Ben Morris is developing in to a really solid player and I think he will become a fans' favourite once we get back in the stadium and his unfussy work rate get the attention it deserves. It looks to me like he's learning a lot from Brad in the way he plays.

As others have said on numerous occasions, we're really going to miss Will Rowlands, especially when Joe Launchbury is missing, so not much to add there.

I don't really understand the dark arts of the front row but that  struck me as a performance that's as good as it gets for the starting guys, with Taylor getting back to real form just in time to leave :(

It was said in commentary and has been discussed in these pages before, Paulo needs to go hunting for a bit more work rather than hanging about on the wing. Maybe that's game plan or lack of confidence having missed playing for so long and is open for discussion, but he'll get there.

Rob Miller looked a lot sharper and I've made my membership of his fan club known in the past so not a great deal to add. With the unfortunate injury to Minozzi he should get a good run and add some competition to full back. On that subject there was a discussion in another thread about Jacob playing 15 in an emergency. That got me wondering if Josh could play there if needed? He's good under a high ball, quick and not afraid of tackling.

The biggest lift from that game will come from fighting back after letting Bath dominate the 2nd half. Yes, they went down to 14 men but we don't have a good record playing against teams that are a man down, or even 2 down. That will make for a much more comfortable 2 week break than another loss would have.

I'm going to leave me rose tinted glasses on and enjoy reflecting on that game for a bit longer and not think about Quinns at the Stoop as our next game :)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »
I think BT Sport's post-match thoughts will have been to make sure the 2 games next season get prime TV billing.  162 points (91-73) and 19 tries (11-8) in 2 games between Wasps and Bath this season is nothing if not entertaining!

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »
I thought worthy of a mention was MLB and not just for the support line he ran for his try. He gets a lot of stick on here, but he seemed quite prominent in the first half securing our ball in breakdowns etc. He's never gonna scale the international heights of Odogwu, but solid squad performers are essential to keeping the squad under cap and big enough to compete. I think this week was another very solid squad man performance. Well done him.