Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Bath: Post match thoughts.  (Read 3674 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Bath: Post match thoughts.
« on: April 25, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »
Monkey off our back

Trying hard to click....perhaps a little too much.

Winning breeds confidence.

Well that was an arm wrestle, and one that encapsulated our season in 80 minutes. Moments of brilliance, moments of inaccuracy, moments of ill discipline, moments of grit and determination. We played like a team with the world on our shoulders, so to turn the tables and get a win is invaluable.

This has to be a moment to build from, not just for this season, but going forward in years to come.

As an aside, black and gold hoops should feature so much more in our kits.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Bath: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »
Rob has to be first pick 15 now. Rarely a foot wrong and got his speed back.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »
I am obviously glad we won, but the blocking for Bassett's try and Umagas potentially forward pass for Le Borg's try do make it feel a very lucky win. Very surprised they were awarded!

But if this is used to help us improve I'll obviously take it.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 05:15:10 PM »
I am obviously glad we won, but the blocking for Bassett's try and Umagas potentially forward pass for Le Borg's try do make it feel a very lucky win. Very surprised they were awarded!

Doesn't quite make up for the forward pass and block that put us out of Europe.

hopwood

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 05:16:36 PM »
Rob has to be first pick 15 now. Rarely a foot wrong and got his speed back.

Good speed, but some of his passing was a astray. And let a few people run through his tackles.
I still don’t rate him as a Premiership starting 15, but we’re allowed to have differing opinions.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »

Doesn't quite make up for the forward pass and block that put us out of Europe.

Yes , got rub of green today, but think how many times it gone against us.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 05:26:25 PM »
 Congrats to the Team.  The boys done good.     :)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »
Lee called it correctly in the post match interview, we looked like a team trying not to lose, rather than trying to win.

Anyone who has played rugby in a team that is losing knows how hard it can be to turn the tide, and the more you try the more mistakes you make, and the more decisions go against rather than for you.

The relief from players and coaches came across the airwaves and through our television sets today, let us use it as a springboard!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »
The play of Robson and Umaga today meant we always looked like we had tries in us. You could visibly see the confidence return to Umaga which carried through to his kicking. I thought West, Shields and Miller had great games. Taylor tackled his heart out. We could easily have folded when Bath took the lead. Wishing Joe well. Also thought Tempest reffed the game very well.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 06:32:30 PM »
The play of Robson and Umaga today meant we always looked like we had tries in us. You could visibly see the confidence return to Umaga which carried through to his kicking. I thought West, Shields and Miller had great games. Taylor tackled his heart out. We could easily have folded when Bath took the lead. Wishing Joe well. Also thought Tempest reffed the game very well.

Plus Morris

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 06:44:39 PM »
Was concerned when first couple of kicks for posts went askew, but fair play once Umaga backed himself to continue for another long range attempt .

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 06:45:41 PM »
Yes, lots of good performances, certainly including Morris. Also thought Fekitoa looked direct and then our Mr Consistencies Bassett and Young.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 06:59:52 PM »
Feeling very happy this evening, although gutted for Joe who I think has been in the form of his life since August when injuries haven't got in the way.

I felt that whilst Jacob looked more threatening last week he was too loose and a liability at times. He, Booj and Feki needed a big performance and that's exactly what we got from them. One risky pass aside, Fekitoa had one of his best games for us. He was like a human bowling ball knocking through Bath's defence. Umaga put in the performance we know he can. Booj was solid and deserved his try.

Up front, great performances from the whole pack. Ben Morris's work rate in particular stood out for me, the highlight being his tackle on the Bath 10, which proved you can tackle low and make a dominant tackle.

Two key moments which were especially pleasing: Jacob nailing his kick to touch after the red card (interesting that he took a practice kick whilst the referee and TMO were making a decision about Obano) and Oghre nailing the throw.

Stats wise Thomas's two tries took him to 28, level with Joe Worsley as our top scoring forward in Premiership. Jacob went level with Stephen Jones on 116 Premiership points and Josh moved to within one score of Tom Varndell.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 07:14:06 PM »
One small extra detail maybe with a nod to next season was how good Stooke looked when he came on.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 07:32:47 PM »
One small extra detail maybe with a nod to next season was how good Stooke looked when he came on.

Yes watch him when he came on - solid.