Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 3645 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: May 02, 2021, 07:11:04 AM »
Article linking Wasps with Scarlets' tight head Peter Scholtz as replacement for Brookes.

Described as a big, strong scrummager, so box ticked there. To be honest I don't follow the Pro14 much so can't say I've seen anything of him. I'm sure some on here will know more though.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »
Can't say I have seen him play but a 27 year old, 120Kg South African could well be what we need if Brookes departs.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »
TRP also has Tigers as the club that Steve Diamond and the American investors he mentioned in an interview a couple of weeks ago are interested in.

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:59:59 AM »
TRP also has Tigers as the club that Steve Diamond and the American investors he mentioned in an interview a couple of weeks ago are interested in.
That would add up as weren’t Tigers up for sale not so long ago (pre COVID) I believe?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 09:51:00 AM »
That would add up as weren’t Tigers up for sale not so long ago (pre COVID) I believe?

With the support that Tigers typically get, it's probably a club that could be a good investment if done right.

If there's ideas like we have at the Ricoh with outwards expansion and additional facilities, then it'd come down to what the land around the stadium is used for and who it is owned by

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 10:05:40 AM »
Can't say I have seen him play but a 27 year old, 120Kg South African could well be what we need if Brookes departs.

+1. Hope he is a good un.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 11:27:33 AM »

+1. Hope he is a good un.

Has he got any mates that can play second row?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »
Strange one if true. Signed for them in December 20 (effectively 5 months ago) and played 8 times. Not checked whether as substitute but would think so given their squad. However the Pro 14 couldn't have had many more games since Dec.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
Strange one if true. Signed for them in December 20 (effectively 5 months ago) and played 8 times. Not checked whether as substitute but would think so given their squad. However the Pro 14 couldn't have had many more games since Dec.

Just saw this when googling him - either he took any deal he could to get out of the mess that was happening at the Southern Kings and signed a short deal or we could be buying him out of his contract.
Going from no wage at the Kings to the Scarlets - could still be a good bit of business if we have to buy him out.

He does the hard yards and JTA then comes on for impact

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 12:14:33 PM »
Know nothing at all about Scholtz. Looks to have the physique but doesn't have lots of games under his belt.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 02:53:29 PM »
Replacing KB is going to be hard. What we need is to keep him and, if anything,  replace JTA, who for all his work in the loose still attracts penalties.
I feel we are going to struggle in the scrum if things go ahead as rumoured. We need a solid scrum to compete at the top end.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 03:02:32 PM by westwaleswasp »

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 03:37:53 PM »
Strange one if true. Signed for them in December 20 (effectively 5 months ago) and played 8 times.

Almost identical situation to Douglas.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »
We never know the length of these contracts. Although you'd have to imagine they're longer than a couple of months. As mentioned in another thread on the academy I think that's where our squad gaps are going to be filled from.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 06:41:55 PM »
Someone who knows Scholtz on the Scarlets board has not confirmed he’s off to wasps but that he is leaving the Scarlets despite wanting to stay.
The few fans that have commented would have preferred to keep him and how he was a good squad player - potentially not like for like for Brookes then but could be cheaper and if we just want him to scrum then he could be alright and at 27 probably has his best years ahead of him.

Lots of people wanted a big SA - he’s regularly listed as 20 st on various articles - not sure he’ll be a fan of preseason!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 08:35:50 AM »
Know nothing at all about Scholtz. Looks to have the physique but doesn't have lots of games under his belt.

Showing his physique and mobility here!

https://m.facebook.com/PRO14Official/videos/2442130979375234/