Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New Signing - Dan Frost  (Read 7167 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New Signing - Dan Frost
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »

He sees himself as a Centre!! (Lee doesn't)

Alfie played a lot of his school rugby as a centre. I know someone who watched him then. It was Alfie + 14 others against a very useful side. Alfie single handedly won the game. Just ran through them time after time.

Was it Genge or Sinckler who did the same?

Sinckler played 10 when he was a youngster.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2021, 09:15:22 AM »
Dan Frost did alright at the Pirates end of season awards, winning the Monckton Cup for Achievement, Supporter's Player of the Year, Player's Play of the Year and the Play of the Year.

https://cornish-pirates.com/rugby/cornish-pirates-2020-21-annual-awards/

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2021, 10:01:59 AM »
Dan Frost did alright at the Pirates end of season awards, winning the Monckton Cup for Achievement, Supporter's Player of the Year, Player's Play of the Year and the Play of the Year.

https://cornish-pirates.com/rugby/cornish-pirates-2020-21-annual-awards/

Under achiever then... Sounds very handy!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2021, 10:27:04 AM »
Welcome Dan; hope you enjoy being a Wasp.  Watched you play a while ago and was very impressed. Glad you're aboard.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2021, 11:55:36 AM »
Welcome Dan

Seems a player with experience from Eng U-18's and periods with Bath and other West country teams. Decent experience now - and ought to have the capacity to develop further. Around 100kg and 1.8m - so a good size for hookers and with those we have with First Team experience, it certainly leaves an interesting question about Alfie's best position......

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2021, 06:16:00 PM »
Alfie won't be playing centre aside from a shocking injury crisis. Admittedly we are quite good at finding those so...

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2021, 09:52:34 AM »
Congratulations and welcome Dan

I would say Alfie will be battling Tom Willis for the no 8 shirt in the coming seasons and filling in at Blindside when required.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »
Frost is a converted back row as well.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2021, 10:28:01 AM »
When I played hooker, I just loved it when I got a run out at wing forward.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2021, 10:52:36 AM »
I really hope we focus on Barbeary being a hooker. The odd emergency back row appearance apart I think that's where he should play.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
I really hope we focus on Barbeary being a hooker. The odd emergency back row appearance apart I think that's where he should play.

Does any one know if he can hook swiftly and throw in accurately? That would be very important if he is to be selected primarily as a hooker. Perhaps he could play the Ashley Johnson role?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2021, 11:56:59 AM »
Time to get Josh out of retirement again...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2021, 12:49:32 PM »

Does any one know if he can hook swiftly and throw in accurately? That would be very important if he is to be selected primarily as a hooker. Perhaps he could play the Ashley Johnson role?
I accept he's not proven those skills in the Prem. But it's not like we trying to convert him. Hooker is ostensibly his position and where he's played prior to breaking into the first team. So I'd imagine he's hooked and thrown a lot.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2021, 01:54:11 PM »

I accept he's not proven those skills in the Prem. But it's not like we trying to convert him. Hooker is ostensibly his position and where he's played prior to breaking into the first team. So I'd imagine he's hooked and thrown a lot.

There were reports of some of his age grade games circulating when he was breaking through to the first team.

I don't recall any reference to his actual hooking ability, but a couple did mention shaky line out throwing, albeit that his rampaging running overshadowed the throwing.
I also think one report balanced the lineout throwing saying that there was a strong wind.

I don't know how many seasons he actually played as hooker. He was a centre before hooker I believe, so his hooker career may have been short

I suppose the question for me is that if we have Cruse and Oghre as front line hookers already, suitable backup being signed, why would we want a potential star player fighting them for starting spots, rather than competing in the back row?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2021, 02:41:20 PM »

I don't know how many seasons he actually played as hooker. He was a centre before hooker I believe, so his hooker career may have been short

I suppose the question for me is that if we have Cruse and Oghre as front line hookers already, suitable backup being signed, why would we want a potential star player fighting them for starting spots, rather than competing in the back row?

This is were I am on this too. I know I wasn't a potential international......but I played prop from the earliest pos at school - full contact because, frankly, I was a rather large lad at 14.....I carried on propping even when I had leaned out rather - because few people wanted to and I still had technique - but my best games actually came later on, when I played 6 or the occasional "Sam Burgess" at 12 game.

All I'm really saying is that a junior from the front row may easily have been selected there a bit by chance - whilst being an all round talent (trust me, I wasn't.....) Players will change shape, mature at different rates and I'd be loath  - especially in the front row - to fix players in a position because they started out there.

Regarding Alfie - where do we get best value from such an all round talent? That's what needs to be answered. and as we have v competent hookers - having another is no great advantage for me. Not compared to having someone who looks like he could be a blend of Richard Hill (per Eng RWC winner) in terms of intelligent play and a young Haskell in terms of impact, ball in hand.