Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jacob starts with Dan on bench A Team  (Read 3098 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob starts with Dan on bench A Team
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 11:25:50 AM »
Much more interested in watching this than England regular or even the Lions. Live on Channel 4. Now just have to work out how to stream Channel 4! There isn't an app on my 'smart' tv...

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »
I agree, have really missed the Saxons (I am still calling them that)

Unlucky Josh has missed out but Jones wants to see Steward play, Malins is top class and Joe C offers something different and already has some credit in the bank.
Would liked to have seen Capon play but Langdon has also been very good and 9 and 10 could be fun

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 11:42:16 AM »
Much more interested in watching this than England regular or even the Lions. Live on Channel 4. Now just have to work out how to stream Channel 4! There isn't an app on my 'smart' tv...

Me too. and led by Mitchell. Disappointed for Dan, but in terms of the team, glad to see Lawrence at 13 - his regular club position - and Malins at wing is getting practice as cover for Watson and May - with Joe C also now fit.

If...the A team makes for depth at 9, 12 and 15 then it's done a job - ditto the internationals vs USA and Canada - but I expect few surprising selections for those games. I get the feel that jones has most of his starting 15 for RWC 23 already pencilled in.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
So that's Adam Radwan (Egypt), Dan Kelly (Ireland), Jacob (NZ & Samoa), Harry Randell (Wales), Joe Heyes (Ireland & Wales) & Lewis Ludlow (Wales) who are eligible for other nations who will be captured to England on Sunday. I wonder how many of those six will feature again.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 11:47:19 AM »
So that's Adam Radwan (Egypt), Dan Kelly (Ireland), Jacob (NZ & Samoa), Harry Randell (Wales), Joe Heyes (Ireland & Wales) & Lewis Ludlow (Wales) who are eligible for other nations who will be captured to England on Sunday. I wonder how many of those six will feature again.

That occurred to me too. Does an "A" fixture tie?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 11:54:38 AM »
Channel 4 live stream on their website:

https://www.channel4.com/now/C4

I do not think an A match ties a player.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 11:58:02 AM »
Channel 4 live stream on their website:

https://www.channel4.com/now/C4

I do not think an A match ties a player.

It does if it's both nations A side. And this is both nations official A teams, so it's a capture game I believe.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 12:07:03 PM »
According to Where’s the match . Com on BBC iPlayer.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 12:23:35 PM »
Adam Radwan (Egypt), Dan Kelly (Ireland), Jacob (NZ & Samoa), Harry Randell (Wales), Joe Heyes (Ireland & Wales) & Lewis Ludlow (Wales)

out of that lot, Jacob, Randall, Heyes & Ludlow have all played age grade rugby for England so hardly surprising they are there.
OK Dan Kelly has played for Ireland u20s, but its his choice to make...
Did you seriously expect Radwan to refuse an offer to play for England in the hopes the Egyptian RFU would come calling :)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »
Scotland 9 down after positive Covid test.  Velacott among those called up as replacements.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57608356

MarleyWasp

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 01:01:01 PM »
Did you seriously expect Radwan to refuse an offer to play for England in the hopes the Egyptian RFU would come calling :)

Probably not, but I can't help but wonder whether Eddie really sees the others as genuine prospects or whether he wants to stop other countries from picking them.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 01:09:55 PM »
Probably not, but I can't help but wonder whether Eddie really sees the others as genuine prospects or whether he wants to stop other countries from picking them.

Well England are in real trouble if they feel the need to poach Egyptian players :)

I get what you are saying, but apart from Radwan (who may have played age grade for England, I don't know) & Kelly the others would have been on Englands radar for a few years having played u18 or u20, so its not necessarily odd for them to be picked.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 08:02:01 AM »

I'd not be surprised to see more of Radwan, Kelly, Jacbo, Randall or Heyes. Leaving just Ludlow, who, quite frankly, is behind our own Thomas Young when it comes to Welsh backrow, so not even close.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »
If they're English qualified, and they're playing in England for an English club, then I see no problem at all.

I do feel there's a bit of a grey area if we go "pinching" players from other leagues to force them into the English national team.

Ultimately it would be counter productive to recognising and understanding mixed backgrounds if English qualification was only available to those who are only eligible for England and no other nations