Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP 5th Sept  (Read 1630 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP 5th Sept
« on: September 05, 2021, 07:55:12 AM »
Quite a bit of Wasps material this week.

Main news (as opposed to rehashed stuff we've already read) is that Wasps were in the hunt for Stormers lock David Meihuizen, but he is staying in South Africa and Wasps are now looking eelsewhere. So seemingly still in the market for a 2nd row.

Blackett on the need to continue to clamp down on dangerous play and not continue in the same vein as Lions series.

Gopperth on not being ready to retire.

Article on Rob Hoadley's life in rugby; Tom Cruse's pet hates in a "Room 101" piece (can't disagree with any of them!) . And Tom Palmers's dream team which includes a number of old Wasps team mates. .

Think that's about it.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP 5th Sept
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:13:47 AM »
Makes a change to last week then!

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 11:30:48 AM »
Ex-Wasps winger Callum Sirker also in TRP for scoring on debut for the Cornish Pirates.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »
So seemingly still in the market for a 2nd row.

According to Blackett’s “shopping list” from a few months back, we’re still in the market for another 2nd row and a centre.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »

According to Blackett’s “shopping list” from a few months back, we’re still in the market for another 2nd row and a centre.

I would imagine at this point that we are looking at New Zealand for a 12 and maybe South Africa. Maybe some players waiting to see who gets overlooked for AB/Boks call up, and then negotiating for where they will be after Super Rugby is done next May 2022 (I think that is when it finishes?). From what we have seen with others coming over, that seems to be the timing/process. Needs way more time due to visa needs etc.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 01:17:17 PM »
That makes sense, Nelly. I read somewhere that Mills is looking to return at xmas - nearly 18 months out with a foot fracture.

The rugby paper thinks that Jimmy Gopperth won a Heineken Cup when at Leinster. I am pretty sure he didn't.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 01:41:47 PM »

I would imagine at this point that we are looking at New Zealand for a 12 and maybe South Africa.

Now that's interesting. I do wonder what centre Wasps would go for, because we've changed things up since days of Dai Young. Our 12 hasn't been used creatively aside from Mills/Gopperth, almost like 2 13s instead. I wonder if we'll try to get a creative 12 like Mills/Gopperth. But honestly few names standout aside from someone like Ihaia West, but he's at La Rochelle.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 02:31:38 PM »
Our Kiwis may have someone in mind ::)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »

HDAWG...
Any change in recent style of inside centre may be due to lack of choice rather than by design.

On paper, we've currently got Jimmy and Mills and the first 2 options, presumably with MlB as 3rd choice.

However, due to injuries etc. we've been trying getting our best players on the pitch regardless of position, and therefore trying things like Fekitoa and Odogwu