Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Cap relaxation for older players  (Read 1363 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Cap relaxation for older players
« on: September 06, 2021, 08:58:50 AM »
Just read the article about Banahan linked below. His experience is probably mirrored by many players that get dropped by a club they have a strong association with, Haskell springs to mind. If clubs were exempted some of the cap for players like these perhaps it would give a few more options for players and clubs. For example a cap exemption/reduction for players that have played at a club for something like 8 years (not necessarily consecutive) and or academy graduates, perhaps limited to half of the games per season if the exemption is used. I think for some players it would help with a transition to non-playing life.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/my-loyalty-to-bath-was-between-me-and-the-supporters-not-me-and-the-club/

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Cap relaxation for older players
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »
Interesting idea ,could work and also allow bigger squads to reduce injury and game fatigue.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 01:42:03 PM »
I think it's a nice idea in principle to help repay the loyalty of long-serving players but adds another layer of complications to an already complicated Salary Cap.  I also think it's something that is open to abuse.

Taking your example of 8 years service and/or an academy graduate who has stuck with the club you could exempt half of the Sarries squad, allowing them to spend even more on incoming talent. 

I think for it to work it needs to be age-based rather than service-based.  Perhaps the same criteria - salary exempt but can only play 50% of league games (and a 1 minute appearance in a single game counts as a game) for those who are 33 and over.

That way the players exempted aren't in their prime years of their career (in theory - a few exceptions like Gopps, Stringer, Nick Evans etc...).

But for me, it still adds too much complication to an already complicated cap structure.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »
I think it's a nice idea in principle to help repay the loyalty of long-serving players but adds another layer of complications to an already complicated Salary Cap.  I also think it's something that is open to abuse.

Taking your example of 8 years service and/or an academy graduate who has stuck with the club you could exempt half of the Sarries squad, allowing them to spend even more on incoming talent. 

I think for it to work it needs to be age-based rather than service-based.  Perhaps the same criteria - salary exempt but can only play 50% of league games (and a 1 minute appearance in a single game counts as a game) for those who are 33 and over.

That way the players exempted aren't in their prime years of their career (in theory - a few exceptions like Gopps, Stringer, Nick Evans etc...).

But for me, it still adds too much complication to an already complicated cap structure.

I was in the process of writing a very similar post. Nice in principle, but over complicated and would be a nightmare to regulate I suspect.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 02:08:17 PM »

I was in the process of writing a very similar post. Nice in principle, but over complicated and would be a nightmare to regulate I suspect.

Oh got there first. 👍
Let me tell you something cucumber

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 03:52:38 PM »
Yep, age would certainly make more sense and simplifies enforcement. That would make it a retirement equivalent of the academy credits.

I take the point about adding complexity. As with everything, what appears straight forward as a concept becomes very difficult to define elegantly.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »
Yep, age would certainly make more sense and simplifies enforcement. That would make it a retirement equivalent of the academy credits.

I take the point about adding complexity. As with everything, what appears straight forward as a concept becomes very difficult to define elegantly.

I think it would depend a lot on the mindset of those implementing it ::)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 05:50:37 PM »
Given the financial situation at most clubs would they want the added wage bills and other costs that a an even bigger squad entails? As InBetweenWasp says, this could play in to the hands of the richer clubs.

I do like the idea of rewarding loyalty by both club and player, although I can't think of a way that doesn't favour rich clubs.