Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England vs Tonga  (Read 5228 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
England vs Tonga
« on: November 04, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »
Eddie not really doing anything radical, unsurprisingly:

Starters
15. Freddie Steward, 14. Adam Radwan, 13. Henry Slade, 12. Manu Tuilagi, 11. Jonny May, 10. Owen Farrell, 9. Ben Youngs, 1. Ellis Genge, 2. Jamie George, 3. Kyle Sinckler, 4. Maro Itoje, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Courtney Lawes, 7. Sam Underhill, 8. Tom Curry.

Finishers
16. Jamie Blamire, 17. Joe Marler, 18. Will Stuart, 19. Charlie Ewels, 20. Alex Dombrandt, 21. Alex Mitchell, 22. Marcus Smith, 23. George Furbank.

so much for getting some new faces that much needed international experience.....

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England vs Tonga
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 12:39:34 PM »
At least with Radwan and May the kicks will be chased quickly.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 12:46:24 PM »
I know it has been said that Smith hasn’t trained much but if he’s not allowed a start against Tonga then I cannot see him getting much gametime in the games after.

How does Ewels get anywhere near this side, we really are lacking the next set of locks coming up.
Think I would have just had Lawes cover lock and Simmonds cover curry and underhill but that was never going to happen.

Wonder what the odds are on Manu getting injured

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 12:59:19 PM »
If Smith is fit enough for the bench why isn't Jones testing the Farrell/ Smith axix from the off?

Manu has shed a lot of bulk.  He may therefore not be the bullocking centre which got him into the team in the first place. I am not sure I am convinced by his other skills and from what I have seen of him so far this season I am surprised at his inclusion.  As for Youngs.......!!!!  Youngs is not the future so if Jones is going to play someone at 9 who is not the future i would choose Wrigglesworth over Youngs every day.

Lots of other thoughts but I won't prattle on.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »
If Jones told us that Smith has barely had time to train, but he's starting him anyway, people would complain that he's throwing Smith under the bus.

I don't get why Ford has been dropped, but not starting your very young, new fly half after he's not been able to train, doesn't seem like a terrible choice.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 01:41:18 PM »
If Jones told us that Smith has barely had time to train, but he's starting him anyway, people would complain that he's throwing Smith under the bus.

I don't get why Ford has been dropped, but not starting your very young, new fly half after he's not been able to train, doesn't seem like a terrible choice.

I'd agree with this. At least in the backs Steward amd Radwan are getting tried.

Much more frustrating is the forwards,  not trying anything new at all.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »
At least in the backs Steward amd Radwan are getting tried.

don't think they would be if Watson & Daly were fit....

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
Sort of "meh" selection. Front 5 can be argued over - but it's probably effective enough though what message George going from dropped to start makes, I'm not sure

Backrow.....why? It's the sort of backrow that played 6Ns 2020 and was part of the team conceding far too many penalties at the breakdown. Lawes does not add pace, Curry was a fill in 8 but a flanker at heart and Dombrandt is a "proper" 8 so I don;t get the starting selection.

IF....this is being used as a practice game pre SA and Aus, then it's no surprise. If it's supposed to be a new broom approach, then it's rather lacking in inspiration.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 02:26:44 PM »
Was offered a pair of free tickets for this one through work and had to turn them down due to an existing commitment.  Thanks Eddie for tempering my disappointment with this selection!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 03:43:24 PM »
They'll beat Tonga and then Jones will use that as proof his blinkered approach to creating dull rugby is working just fine.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 04:00:19 PM »
At least in the backs Steward amd Radwan are getting tried.

don't think they would be if Watson & Daly were fit....

That's the worry, right?

It does feel like either he's being very conservative in his selection or has broken most of the newcomers in training and they're only half-fit so can't be selected.

It's a very 'meh' selection.  We'll see whether Farrell can show the attacking foresight and mindset that the Saracens fans argue he has.  There's no doubt some of his passing can be brilliant, but he's just not the sort of threat that keeps teams guessing - I'd love to be proved wrong in this game.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 04:09:31 PM »
Trouble is - "this game" is vs Tonga who Scotland beat up, whilst missing many first pick players. What's it going to tell us? Farrell looked fine vs our second/third team for Sarries....but it meant v little.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 04:15:27 PM »
For me this is not about selection anyway, its about how Jones wants them the play.
If he wants to persist with his "the teams the win, kick the ball a lot" ideas then this team can do that & will do it well. Might not win many games against good sides though.

If he wants a more attacking & exciting game, I think this team can do that too. all those players can play when they are allowed to.

Can Farrell play that game? Yes I think he can. Would Smith or Ford do it better? Probably.
I know Farrell is the devils own spawn as far as most of this site goes but all the things you hear about him from players & coaches is that he's a great player & leader. Gatts has picked him for what, 3 Lions tours?

I would have liked a clearer attacking intent by picking a more attacking minded side, but we will have to see what game plan he sends them out there with.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 05:57:48 PM »
I believe there will be a live stream of Portugal v Canada which kicks off at 3pm on Saturday. Portugal play some great attacking Rugby...

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 07:28:05 PM »
What a complete waste of time. Lawes at 6. Why. Curry at 8. Why. Where is the promised (by Jones) change in style going to be generated. What will we learn by playing Youngs/Farrell/George etc etc etc etc. We’re playing Tonga for goodness sake.