Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 5723 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: December 05, 2021, 08:07:56 AM »
Rumours -
Wasps looking for a Fekitoa replacement outside centre as he is expected to be off to pastures new. Plus looking for a second choice tighthead. Salary cap reductions the reason.

Kind of suggests we can't meet his financial requirements or not willing to with his international calls.
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 08:14:41 AM »
Worrying if true, I believe we would of won the last two games if Fekitoa was fit.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »
How can we be near the cap and Sarries be below. We must be paying some players too much and not getting value for money. To lose Fekitoa would be a nightmare, our centres have really let us down this season

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
I have posted before that it seemed likely we would lose him. In the international market, we can no longer compete on money. Slowly but surely, as the cap tightens (when contracts come for renewal), all clubs will face the same sort of losses, with players going to France or Japan. However, even those teams will at some point realise that they can lower what they offer and save a bit of money. For now, all we can do is hope we can either promote very good academy players, or recruit lesser paid players from the championship, Wales or Ireland.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
This would be a loss on a good day but Fekitoa doesn’t consistently have those and isn’t really the voice of leadership outside our young half backs that I often assume his experience would bring.
Has had some great moments for us, especially with some memorable defence and occasionally breaks draws a man and sets Kibirige free but possibly hasn’t hit the heights consistently considering what we must be paying him… I know he wanted out of Toulon but we must have offered him a good wedge to come to us as there would have been plenty of other suitors.
We could probably get two solid Premiership
 13 options for his money or take a punt on some more star quality.

Wonder what Blackett’s thinking is.
Odogwu is good enough to be first choice 13, Jimmy maybe has one more year left, Booj is a steady back up at 12 but has played far too much as Mills is always injured. In Spink, Simmonds, Hartley and Ma’asi-White we have some real quality coming through but they’re either injured a lot or a few seasons away from being regularly trusted. Does Atkinson play 10 and Umaga play in the Slade/Losowski 13 role, definitely has got the skills going forward but not their defence …. If I was Blackett I think I’ve talked my way into the need for investing in another centre from overseas.
Has Estherhuizen got a brother? Will be trickier to pick up cheaper New Zealanders now if they can all turn out internationally for Tonga/Samoa/Fiji

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 09:18:24 AM »
Sorry but I’m not sure Fekitoa has lit up our back line and is vfm to be honest. Lacks real pace and doesn’t score enough tries.

I can’t think of many Championship backs that have made it in the Premiership - apart from Bassett - but stand to be corrected.

I think we should be seeking a first choice THP who can really scrummage and get round the park. Someone like Will Stuart.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 09:27:24 AM »
I tend to agree on Fekitoa. For me when he’s good he’s very good but he’s very frequently injured. Couple with that his new international commitments and it’s possible you’ll barely see him. We basically need to re-recruit for Mills and him next year as I can’t see either being here. Tight head - I can see the need but it would have to mean losing one of the 4 we currently have.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 09:43:42 AM »
Its hard to comment on whether he is value for money as we don't know what he is paid, or indeed any of the other financials.

But.

We have struggled in the centres for as long as I can remember, and for years we searched for that elusive creature who can both break a defensive line, and put the fear of God into attackers with the occasional earth shuddering hit.

In Fekitoa we have that. He's been injured a lot, but let's face it nobody would want to see the back of Jack Willis, or Alfie.

I'd be sorry to see him go. He is one of the few in our squad who has the ability to turn a whole game on one action.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:45:46 AM by Vespula Vulgaris »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »
It obvious Wasps need an outside centre as we are struggling currently with the current squad. Odogwu isn’t a natural in my eyes although I know people rate him at 13, so this could be Fissler hearing Wasps are looking for a new 13 and assuming Fekitoa is off.

Would hate to see him leave as he is a great player who probably gets injured due to how hard he hits people, defensively there aren’t many better in my eyes.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:46:23 AM by andermt »

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 09:58:47 AM »
I think it's wise to let Fekitoa go. Academy prospects and alternatives on the market. I really hope we get somebody who's not always injured. But then again he'd automatically be injured upon joining! And agree we should let Mills go too. Cannot have 2 injury prone starting centres.

Absolutely no idea who we'd go for, I dream for Lozowski and Devoto, which is about as realistic as winning Euro millions.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 12:01:36 PM »

Absolutely no idea who we'd go for, I dream for Lozowski and Devoto, which is about as realistic as winning Euro millions.

Lozowski out of contract this season and listened to a podcast with him last week saying he still has a love for Wasps… we can dream.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 12:18:43 PM »

Lozowski out of contract this season and listened to a podcast with him last week saying he still has a love for Wasps… we can dream.

Mail saying the EAs are offering a new 3 Yr contract. If that fails apparently Tigers and Montpellier are waiting in the wings.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 12:46:45 PM »
If we are after a TH it will be interesting to see the type we go for. I think we need an out and out scrummager. I don’t know what’s happening with Scholtz but with JTA and Millar-Mills we have two in the current match day squad who are better in the loose.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 01:46:14 PM »

I’d have Loz back in a heartbeat.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 02:59:58 PM »
Loz would be a perfect replacement for Gopps.