Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Munster: Post match thoughts.  (Read 3810 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Munster: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 07:53:25 PM »
Having watched that live I feel like someone should apologise on behalf of Poite. We’ve had plenty of disappointing showings this year that had nothing to do with refereeing but this was something else. The debate in the stand around me was whether the Shields incident was a penalty or not. The red flabbergasted everyone, including Munster fans. We then had endless decisions going Munsters way which were just wrong. Poite decided not to even look at the clear out on Gopperth for one of there tries or the possible push (less convincing) on Kibirige for another. I was embarrassed for him to be honest with the only more inept performer being the stadium announcer who if he were to be believed with his comings and going’s introduced a 21 v 23 game. Shocking, shocking officiating which just makes a mockery of the players effort.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2021, 08:01:03 PM »
With you 100% on that we had quite a few Munster fans looking at us and shrugging their shoulders on the red. The number of way forward passes we saw - the touch judges were rarely with the play happening more running to where they thought the play was going. We got pinged for offside - I rarely saw the same offered to them.
Our Munster locals suggested they had paid more Euros that us.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hopwood

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 08:30:27 PM »
Having watched that live I feel like someone should apologise on behalf of Poite. We’ve had plenty of disappointing showings this year that had nothing to do with refereeing but this was something else. The debate in the stand around me was whether the Shields incident was a penalty or not. The red flabbergasted everyone, including Munster fans. We then had endless decisions going Munsters way which were just wrong. Poite decided not to even look at the clear out on Gopperth for one of there tries or the possible push (less convincing) on Kibirige for another. I was embarrassed for him to be honest with the only more inept performer being the stadium announcer who if he were to be believed with his comings and going’s introduced a 21 v 23 game. Shocking, shocking officiating which just makes a mockery of the players effort.

I agree with every word of that.
Every word.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 08:50:57 PM »
I was embarrassed for him to be honest with the only more inept performer being the stadium announcer who if he were to be believed with his comings and going’s introduced a 21 v 23 game.

This guy beggars belief. He is totally inept. Has got zero knowledge and empathy for the game.  Obviously does not know our players.

Oh for Pete Nuttall to return. Disgusting treatment from Wasps regarding his departure.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 08:54:13 PM by Heathen »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2021, 09:04:13 PM »
Absolutely. Why does he play the Spanish trumpet thing when we’re in the sh*t??

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »
I got quite fond of Sam Vestey that day. 

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 11:13:26 PM »
Never feel it’s right betting against your team but think the bookies had this wrong from the start and should have taken that bet!

Mentioned in another thread 3/1 was too big to ignore especislly after late changes and I didn't ignore it!

Thanks for the tip - covered a nice meal tonight as something to soften the blow of the result!

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2021, 11:47:46 PM »
Poite has been on a downward trajectory for quite a while now, he used to be such a good ref. Today was appalling.

Although our boys made many mistakes I simply can't fault their efforts, especially in the face of such negligent officiating. Big heart shown.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 02:12:17 AM »
Never feel it’s right betting against your team but think the bookies had this wrong from the start and should have taken that bet!

Mentioned in another thread 3/1 was too big to ignore especislly after late changes and I didn't ignore it!

Thanks for the tip - covered a nice meal tonight as something to soften the blow of the result!

I did something horrific. I bet on Munster twice.

First when the teams were originally announced where I felt that we weren't the massive favourites the bookies thought we were.
And then again after we heard about the covid withdrawals.
3/1 both times.

I don't feel good about it, but unfortunately it's easy to bet against Wasps at the moment

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2021, 10:48:27 AM »
I had to turn off at half time, Poite ignoring Kibirige being taking out off the ball then the yellow on Dan were the last straw for me, Poite was only refereeing one team.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2021, 10:56:57 AM »
I think we  just need to look to build into 2022. When you look at the current line up from yesterday (before COVID-19) hit.

West, Frost, Alo, De Chaves, Barbeary, Shields. Willis, Wolstenholme, Umaga, Bassett, Gopperth, Le Bourgeois, Kilbirige, Watson

Realistically we were missing Cruse, JTA, Launchbury, Fifita, Stooke, J Willis, Robson, Mills, Fekitoa, Odogwu, Crossdale from that starting XV. Thats a lot of talent.

Even if we do lose Fekitoa next year (which feels likely), then we still look very good. Koch will make a huge difference.

We just need to weather the storm and build looking at next year. Maybe for once no relegation will benefit us hugely.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2021, 11:10:06 AM »
I think we  just need to look to build into 2022. When you look at the current line up from yesterday (before COVID-19) hit.

West, Frost, Alo, De Chaves, Barbeary, Shields. Willis, Wolstenholme, Umaga, Bassett, Gopperth, Le Bourgeois, Kilbirige, Watson

Realistically we were missing Cruse, JTA, Launchbury, Fifita, Stooke, J Willis, Robson, Mills, Fekitoa, Odogwu, Crossdale from that starting XV. Thats a lot of talent.

Even if we do lose Fekitoa next year (which feels likely), then we still look very good. Koch will make a huge difference.

We just need to weather the storm and build looking at next year. Maybe for once no relegation will benefit us hugely.

I agree. With no relegation we can do what the Tigers did 2 seasons ago. Blood as many youngsters as we can, be cautious with our injury returnees not rushing them back and recruit wisely.

BarossaD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 11:34:59 AM »
I had to turn off at half time, Poite ignoring Kibirige being taking out off the ball then the yellow on Dan were the last straw for me, Poite was only refereeing one team.

Second half summary: It didn’t get any better

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
I generally don't like knocking referees (JP Doyle was my only exception!) but Poite yesterday was truly terrible.
The breakdown was a shambles & multiple incidents just ignored, he seemed to not want to engage with the TMO either.
The red card was ludicrous & ruined what could have been a decent game.

I don't believe he was biased, just incompetent & Wasps were unlucky his biggest error cost us a key player

In the build up to Alfies try there were 3 separate things he could have blown up for:
The pass from Alfie to Tomas young looked forward
the break down after TY was tackled, he jackled from the side
& he was the third man to the breakdown.

Normally bad refs even out in games but not this one.

At some point Wasps will have exhausted the world wide supply of bad luck because nothing is going their way at the moment!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2021, 01:05:18 PM »

Me too. It was not enjoyable to watch.