Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sale Sharks v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 3985 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Sale Sharks v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« on: January 01, 2022, 03:55:40 PM »
Out thought out fought.

Slow in mind and in deed.

Lose the physical battle lose the game.

One step forward, two steps back.

Well played to Sale, aggressive, accurate -a little fortunate on occasion- but well well worth their victory.

For us.....that was horrible. Forget the first 5 minutes and last 2, as to focus on that would be to ignore what happened over the following 73 minutes. To our boys credit they did not stop trying. But as we said before at this level THAT is the bare minimum of what we should be doing. However we were physically beaten up, bullied, harassed and controlled far too often and for far too long and everything suffered from it. We lost the set piece, we lost the gain line, we lost dominance in the tackle, we lost the battle of the backs. We made mistakes off first phase, second phase, third phase....and if we got their...fourth phase.

Everything we did looked insipid and laboured when contrasted against Sale who looked sharp and powerful. Alo, Fifita, Stooke, Shields, West tried but struggled. Alfie, and Willis when he came on, looked the only ones able to physically match Sale. I am also sorry to point a individual out again, but Booj did everything wrong. He has played over 60 games for us, and still looks well out of his depth. Injuries have obliterated our midfield, and when players return he needs thanking for his effort and releasing.

The A.J Bell is a tough place to go, but only one team today looked like going top 6. The lads, we, the coaches are going to have to own this and feel every bit of hurt that comes from games like today, as it can inspire you going forward. Yes we are missing so many key players, but we cannot hide behind that. There are no easy games in the premiership, and we needed to be much more stronger physically today.

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

Rugby by birth. Wasps by the grace of God.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Sale Sharks v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 04:04:02 PM »
I think we have to bite the bullet and admit that age has finally caught up with Jimmy. I don't think he should ever be asked to start at 10 for us again. This time of course it may have been thought unavoidable because of Jacob's suspension and Charlie's recovery from injury. However, he's a much better centre now than a fly half.

Booj had a mare even by his standards and I've long been a supporter of his, as Westy will attest :). Spink on the other hand had IMO, a good game.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 04:04:59 PM »
Good, accurate post. The physicality was the difference. Having said that we played the game exactly as they would have wanted. Repeatedly launching Alfie when it was the game to use him more as a decoy. One up runners. Not looking after the ball at all when we had it. Just too many mistakes. Man, do we need a good 12. Positives? Locks were ok although Fifita maybe needs to reign in the offloads a bit. Spink did OK as did Crossdale. I thought Barbeary was ok and Willis changed our dynamic when he came on.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 04:07:31 PM »
Thing is today, for me, was coaching problem. Players didn't look motivated or have a suitable game plan. Sale would likely have be even better with Faf or Quirke, yet coped well. Whereas we struggled in a similar predicament. How come this is roughly the same group of players over the past 4 months that just can't string anything together? I'm not buying arguments that it's the players. I think their attitude perhaps, but that's a team capable of better (and that's on coaching).

Crossdale, Willis and Barbeary all looked good. Shields and Frost lost their heads. Fifita looking like a player that belongs in France and looks to be an asset, but we can't utilize to full affect.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 04:09:30 PM »
Fifita really should be playing at 6. Too many long term second row injuries.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 04:19:32 PM »
Far too may errors. Not just poor handling and coughing up the ball so easily, but poor positioning and awareness. Lack of communication (Hislop presenting the ball at the breakdown and everybody stands around waiting for someone else to step up to play scrum half really sticks in the mind). Nobody looking for space. No flair.

Nice to see Alfie finish a game, but his every possession was like watching a game of League - simply head down and charge at the opposite man for a three meter gain, rinse-repeat.

We need to be better. We need to be smarter.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 04:19:46 PM »
On that performance top 4 virtually impossible top 6 highly unlikely. You have to say there is probably only Bath that is worse than us at the moment

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »
There has to be more to our game plan than give the ball to Alfie.

The worst thing was that it wasn't even a good game of rugby, yes Sale put us to the sword and played well but you wouldn't recommend that game to a neutral.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 04:22:01 PM »
Did not see the match but from reading the match thread and this post, it looks as though we were palpably second best. Gopps late try could be construed to it having been a closer game than it was.

Unless we get an upturn in fortunes against a rampant Tigers side next week, it could be nil points from the first two games in the New Year.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 04:22:36 PM »
Looking forwards to Feb 12, when we play a game we have an outside chance of winning. Up until then, we have no chance. Now we will know what it is like to be Zebre in European games.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 04:42:58 PM »
I thought we really played a naive game plan. If ever there was a game to use Barbeary as a decoy this was it. We didn’t do it once. Also, with Sale rushing up why did neither Wolstenholne, Porter or Gopperth try the dink over the onrushing line - there was acres of space. We just allowed them to leather us all game - no variation. That’s where we really missed Robsons invention. Errors are one thing and they are incredibly frustrating but our lack of ideas or appreciation of what was in front of us was probably worse. It’s not like Sale have any different ways of playing.

Pompeyman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 04:54:53 PM »
Agree with Shugs, lack of any invention or variation in attack - just phase after phase of running headlong into bigger players. We didn't deserve to win, and yes I have my Wasps Goggles on,  but also we were on the wrong end of quite a few decisions today. No way should Curry's try have been given and they were offside repeatedly to name but 2 -however giving the Ref lip is unforgivable. As I said, it didn't loose us the game, we were just not capable of thinking on our feet and changing things up. Never mind, onto the nest COYW!!

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 04:57:31 PM »
Wow that was insipid dull rugby. Plan A Alfie runs the crash ball. If plan A doesn't work revert to plan A. What on earth we tried out out 'sale' sale was just stupid.

Can Boo catch or is it Jimmy that can no longer pass properly? Our back play was non existent. I don't even think sale were that great.

How was Curry's try allowed. He crawled along the ground.

Tigers next. I'm not a betting man but even I'm thinking of money on tigers plus 50.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 05:22:39 PM »
Fifita really should be playing at 6. Too many long term second row injuries.

Then who do you not play out of Brad, Alfie, Tom or Thomas? Let alone Nemo and Jack. Tough position to be in.

At the beginning of the season Bobby B highlighted that we were gambling without having a third proper 10, and so we are now seeing with Jacob banned, Charlie understandably rusty, and Jimmy so much better at 12.

We just look so far off the pace. I think a change in coaching is needed, to be honest

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 05:34:05 PM »
1) Wolstenholme is not a starting 9...and we have a class 9 on the wing. wtf
2) we have no rugby IQ
3) we have no rugby IQ
4) Our coaching has to be questioned given we are less than the sum of our parts.
5) we have no rugby IQ
6) Charlie upped tempo when he got into some stride
6) we have no rugby IQ

You only get 4 or 5 chances a game, that's all. When you convert none of them though dull decisions and lack of rugby IQ, your going to lose, end of.