Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Qualifying for Europe last 16  (Read 6364 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Qualifying for Europe last 16
« on: January 16, 2022, 05:01:57 PM »
Do we need any points from next week’s game to get into the last 16. I’m not sure we do. I would like more points as I’d prefer not to finish 8th.

The 4 teams below us I’m not sure any of them can win next week, maybe Stade but I think we are in with a shout.

We then have until April to get our injuries down to a lot lower than 19. If that’s the case no one worries me.

hopwood

Re: Qualifying for Europe last 16
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 05:09:09 PM »
A game against the likes of Racing 92 would provide great excitement and anticipation for everyone in that squad.

Something, as you say, for all players to aim for and get back fighting fit and performing at the highest level.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 05:09:37 PM »
Probably depends on how Stade do at home against Connaught as the others  below us look to have hard fixtures.
Let me tell you something cucumber

loverugby1979

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 05:12:45 PM »
Yeah, I think that the key is Stade Francais-Connacht.

I believe that with a LBP will be enough to get through.

I don't mind the opponent. The lads deserve a chance against the best....(Tigers , Toulouse..)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 05:20:10 PM by loverugby1979 »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 05:19:55 PM »
Looking at the table I really wish we’d gone for that point at the end yesterday. And in terms of our qualification I still haven’t fully got over the “Poite game”.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 05:20:59 PM »

Depending on our injury list, Munster doesn’t overly concern me. I personally believe we can take them

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 05:26:23 PM »
Scarlets could beat Bristol at home. Munster have qualified but I think will go full strength. I think we’ll be looking for a point or two as I think we’ll struggle at their place.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »
Looking at the last round of matches I think 8th is the best we can hope for. Castres, Stade, Cardiff and Scarlets have tough fixtures. Castres have Quins first up on Friday, Cardiff are away at Toulouse on a 1pm kick off Saturday. Scarlets are at home to Bristol at 5:30 Saturday. Stade are at home to Connaught at 1pm Sunday, with both Bristol and Connaught pushing hard for favourable positions in the top 8 for the round of 16. By the time we play our game against Munster at 3:15 we will know exactly what we need to qualify. Of course all have a chance to win their games, however potentially all could lose and we will be through before we kick a ball. However of the 4 I think Stade and Scarlets have the greatest chance of winning. A 4 point win and they are level with us, which means any BP puts us through. However should they get 5 point wins we need at least a point and for our points difference to be favourable over the others. We are currently on -13. Stade are -38 and Scarlets -63.

I think we may well qualify, but 8th may well be most likely. I think Connaught and Toulouse will win. 7th may be possible as an outside bet if we get more than 2 points and Bordeaux get nothing from their trip to the Tigers.

IF we qualify Racing will be the likely opponents with an outside shout of Ulster with very minimal chance of La Rochelle or Leinster. However it would take some quite unusual results for the last two to be our opponants.

Certainly this weekend is going to be fascinating. I think the mantra for our boys is to go to Munster and enjoy it!

hopwood

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »
Looking at the last round of matches I think 8th is the best we can hope for. Castres, Stade, Cardiff and Scarlets have tough fixtures. Castres have Quins first up on Friday, Cardiff are away at Toulouse on a 1pm kick off Saturday. Scarlets are at home to Bristol at 5:30 Saturday. Stade are at home to Connaught at 1pm Sunday, with both Bristol and Connaught pushing hard for favourable positions in the top 8 for the round of 16. By the time we play our game against Munster at 3:15 we will know exactly what we need to qualify. Of course all have a chance to win their games, however potentially all could lose and we will be through before we kick a ball. However of the 4 I think Stade and Scarlets have the greatest chance of winning. A 4 point win and they are level with us, which means any BP puts us through. However should they get 5 point wins we need at least a point and for our points difference to be favourable over the others. We are currently on -13. Stade are -38 and Scarlets -63.

I think we may well qualify, but 8th may well be most likely. I think Connaught and Toulouse will win. 7th may be possible as an outside bet if we get more than 2 points and Bordeaux get nothing from their trip to the Tigers.

IF we qualify Racing will be the likely opponents with an outside shout of Ulster with very minimal chance of La Rochelle or Leinster. However it would take some quite unusual results for the last two to be our opponants.

Certainly this weekend is going to be fascinating. I think the mantra for our boys is to go to Munster and enjoy it!

Nice summary. Thank you.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 10:40:02 AM »

Depending on our injury list, Munster doesn’t overly concern me. I personally believe we can take them

No chance. I personally think we should rotate a bit for this game. Gopps has gone the distance in two very physical games, and with Jacob looking at probably 5 weeks out we are going to need him. Put Mills in and give Jimmy a rest. Likewise, let Shields take a breather and start Youngs/Nemo with potential back up from Curran if he's fit.

Hooker wise we could be in trouble to be honest. Frosty looked done in, and Cruse was injured too.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 10:47:42 AM »

This totally. Brad in particular has ended bloodied for Wasps recently. Put together a team of keen youngsters with a sprinkling of first teamers. Rest for the upcoming league matches and come out blasting.

No chance. I personally think we should rotate a bit for this game. Gopps has gone the distance in two very physical games, and with Jacob looking at probably 5 weeks out we are going to need him. Put Mills in and give Jimmy a rest. Likewise, let Shields take a breather and start Youngs/Nemo with potential back up from Curran if he's fit.

Hooker wise we could be in trouble to be honest. Frosty looked done in, and Cruse was injured too.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 05:09:32 PM »
Trying to keep it simple:

Key teams to follow this weekend are:

Castres (away to Quins, Fri 8pm)
Cardiff (away to Toulouse, Sat 1pm)
Scarlets (home to Bristol, Sat 5.30pm)
Stade Francais (home to Connacht, Sun 1pm)

If those four all lose, Wasps are through regardless of our result v Munster.

As our game kicks off at 3.15pm, then we should know exactly what we need to go through.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 07:42:10 AM »
Trying to keep it simple:

Key teams to follow this weekend are:

Castres (away to Quins, Fri 8pm)
Cardiff (away to Toulouse, Sat 1pm)
Scarlets (home to Bristol, Sat 5.30pm)
Stade Francais (home to Connacht, Sun 1pm)

If those four all lose, Wasps are through regardless of our result v Munster.

As our game kicks off at 3.15pm, then we should know exactly what we need to go through.

Scarlets probably the least likely of those to oblige.

We've just turned over the Premiership leaders and the European champions on consecutive weekends.  Turn over Munster and make all of the above academic!  Draw on the spirit of 04!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »
Toulouse v Cardiff is potentially under threat due to Covid in the Toulouse camp. Would be a 28-0 bonus point win for Cardiff if Toulouse can't fulfill the fixture.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 07:59:38 AM »
In other words, the competition has become a lottery.