Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Do I even want to open up Drunken Wasps?  (Read 3741 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Do I even want to open up Drunken Wasps?
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:19:11 PM »
I stopped watching at 71? minutes. Not really going to post much on the game now, but just want to know if I should even bother opening up rugbynetwork, or is it full of Dai Out, fire the whole team, JP Doyle is the worst ref in the history of the world etc?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Do I even want to open up Drunken Wasps?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »
I've not looked either! Obviously disappointed but very hard to argue that our league position isn't correct for us at our stage. Full of hope for the next couple of years.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »
To be fair, MOST of it was to congratulate Sarries, who did play rather better then we did.

JP and his merry band of officials got some stick (deserved IMnotsoHO), but not to be blamed for our loss. All accept that it was Sarries' day.

Our usual shortcomings were repeated. Poor defense with missed tackles, yards lost, slow line speed, lost lineouts, lightweight scrum.

Would we be better with all the ins and outs?

Do we need better coaching (my guess is yes, but I wouldn't mind betting the lack of a permanent training base is a bit of an issue there, as the Broadstreet ground is far from ideal).

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:43:59 AM »
Me and my lad were chatting about next year, and if our concern is power in attack and defence then it's not hard to start to feel positive about the next few years. Ambrose, Lima and Bradley especially look to be powerful players, but still have a turn of speed. Lots of our injured players hopefully coming back fit and strong are also some of our carriers, like Alex and Tommy. Then there is also Ash, who hopefully will be able to play. Players also seem to be coming through well with Ben Harris, Tom West, TJ Harris who seem good and build depth along with the new championship signings. The setup seems very good at brining in and developing good championship players, and if the big name signings are anything to go by then there should be a good mix of power and pace. Then there are the young players coming through like Jacob, Tom and Gaby.

Me and my lad have tickets for Sarries v Exeter, it should be a great day out. I find it interesting how I have warmed towards Sarries, I admired the way they played at the weekend and also admire the way they and their supporters conduct themselves. Having watched both semi finals would like to see them and the more attacking style win. I could see them winning by 20 points, lots of them will be wanting to make a point, might have a little bet on that prediction to add a bit of spice to the day!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »
I used to favour Exe but have gone right off them. They are the most mechanical, of teams. And I too have warmed to Sarries over the past couple of seasons and would like to see them give the robots from Devon a good spanking. The pompous sense of entitlement from some Exe fans is nauseating.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
Having spent the last few years at Euro finals supporting "Anyone but Sarries" much to the disbelief of the French I find myself praying that Sarries pulverise the fake Indians into the ground!
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »
Me and my lad were chatting about next year, and if our concern is power in attack and defence then it's not hard to start to feel positive about the next few years. Ambrose, Lima and Bradley especially look to be powerful players, but still have a turn of speed. Lots of our injured players hopefully coming back fit and strong are also some of our carriers, like Alex and Tommy. Then there is also Ash, who hopefully will be able to play. Players also seem to be coming through well with Ben Harris, Tom West, TJ Harris who seem good and build depth along with the new championship signings. The setup seems very good at brining in and developing good championship players, and if the big name signings are anything to go by then there should be a good mix of power and pace. Then there are the young players coming through like Jacob, Tom and Gaby.

Me and my lad have tickets for Sarries v Exeter, it should be a great day out. I find it interesting how I have warmed towards Sarries, I admired the way they played at the weekend and also admire the way they and their supporters conduct themselves. Having watched both semi finals would like to see them and the more attacking style win. I could see them winning by 20 points, lots of them will be wanting to make a point, might have a little bet on that prediction to add a bit of spice to the day!

We (4 of us) are also going. I was wondering whether some of us could meet up before the game?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, perhaps somewhere in the West car park where they have the stage and bars?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, perhaps somewhere in the West car park where they have the stage and bars?

Seems a good idea. I am parking down that way and walking in that side. You know the BMW Lounge? (the old building that is an old terrace with hospitality above). How about the grassed area in front of that where they normally have a car on a small podium? I'll be wearing a red carnation (NOT)!! Actually, my daughter will be the easiest to spot. Three old guys with a 20 year old curvy redhead (long hair). We will probably get there early(ish) to avoid parking problems (we are on a driveway just outside the road closure zone), maybe 1-1:30PM.

I will send you my name and mobile on a private message.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »
Great, see you there.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
Jack out for 9 - 12 months. Multi-ligament injury including ruptured ACL. Poor bloke. Double whammy for Wasps as well as he would have been good value for such talent next season, already getting affected by significant injuries.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »
Enjoyed the day at the final, a good atmosphere, obviously without the fiz of having the team you support there. Sorry to not meet Nelly, I was there at 1pm, but was stranded on the stage side of the road that was cordoned off for the Exeter coach, couldn't find the BMW stand once I could cross.

I was cross with Owen, if he had kicked the penalty at the end of the first half or not missed an earlier conversion I would have won a tidy bet (Sarries by 10-12 in the first half),  a good reminder that betting is a mugs game!

All the talk before the game was how there were two teams way ahead of everyone else, in reality there seems to be one team out in front. Wasps currently have the fast open attacking game, Exeter the powerful driving game and Sarries finding a very good balance of the two.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
Enjoyed the day at the final, a good atmosphere, obviously without the fiz of having the team you support there. Sorry to not meet Nelly, I was there at 1pm, but was stranded on the stage side of the road that was cordoned off for the Exeter coach, couldn't find the BMW stand once I could cross.

I was cross with Owen, if he had kicked the penalty at the end of the first half or not missed an earlier conversion I would have won a tidy bet (Sarries by 10-12 in the first half),  a good reminder that betting is a mugs game!

All the talk before the game was how there were two teams way ahead of everyone else, in reality there seems to be one team out in front. Wasps currently have the fast open attacking game, Exeter the powerful driving game and Sarries finding a very good balance of the two.

I got stuck in traffic  :( Sorry. Only just got there in time for the KO.

Having watched the two semis and that final, Sarries are clearly ahead of all other teams. They can pull it off for a game or two, but can't keep it up. That game was intense. Chiefs had no answer to Sarries. Their tactic (to get in to the top 4 and win it from there) seems a good one, and has been how Wasps have done it in the past (and tried this year). The big difference between the 3 top teams:

Sarries. Relatively consistent. Strong defense. Make few errors.
Wasps. Inconsistent seems to be our game plan. Deadly in attack, makes a ton of errors (penalties, missed tackles, handling, lost ball in lineouts and tackles).
Exeter. Consistent, but with a simple game plan that doesn't always get them the win when it counts. OK defense, few errors.