Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Post match thoughts  (Read 4553 times)

hopwood

Post match thoughts
« on: February 12, 2022, 05:14:31 PM »
An awesome shift put in by the guys.
They are definitely on a roll, especially psychologically.
Maybe not as precise as they would like to be.
But the heart and effort is gigantic.

What a fab cameo for Ryan Mills. Hats off fella.
Brutal injuries, a long time back, his heart rate must have been pounding, but he kept his cool and executed what many players can’t…a perfect, try-scoring, chip. 
He also looked like he was taking authority and telling people around him where to go. Good (much needed) leadership in the backs.
Dan upped his game and led today.
Josh applied pressure.

Loved our scrum time.  Looked cohesive, albeit with so many changes from game to game.
Alfie had a solid game.
Stooke is turning into the most profitable Premiership signing of the season, from any team.

Paulo was simply AWESOME. Tries and turnovers. He’s maturing so quickly.
Watson came on and really injected some pace.

If I had a daughter, I would want Rob Miller to be dating her.  He’s an upstanding, wonderful gentleman.
I just don’t think he’s a Premiership quality fullback.

Overall, I brilliant comeback.
But we were poor for huge patches of the first half.

HAVING SAID THAT….if 5 games ago you said that we would be where we are (and I thought we might) you would have bitten my hand off.

Lee and Joe talked about a group of 5 games - to define who Wasps really are…and where they are.
We’ve won them all so far.

Chapeau.
Hats off to this incredible group of players and coaches.
They’ve presented us (yet again) with a golden age of watching Wasps.
I couldn’t be more grateful.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Post match thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 05:19:21 PM »
I thought Dan was away with the fairys for most of the game. Poor decision making and a lot of errors.

I don't know who MOTM was [Paulo?] but Stooke yet again was our best player.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 05:22:36 PM »
I got the impression that Dan was trying just a little bit too hard.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 05:23:54 PM »
There were a number of players that didn't have a good day at the office, but Miller was, unfortunately, the worst. Robson's box kicking was variable, and he lost a lot of ball before he shifted it on (too slow to get going). Almost like he was in slow motion today. Measured by kicking, Jimmy had a really bad day (63% missed), but the rest of his play wasn't so bad. Atkinson is still having issues with that heavily strapped right leg, but the rest of his game he keeps to 10 shirt.

I have a feeling Spink may not be ready to return next week. I was stunned that Faletau didn't get a red, or at least a yellow, for his head clash with Charlie. How was that really any different to the red that Jacob got?

I am not convinced that Launchbury had such a good game either, at least not by his own standards.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 05:35:08 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 05:34:37 PM »
If we can get Crossdale at 15 and Mills at 12, I fancy that the whole back division will be far more effective.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 05:37:59 PM »
If we can get Crossdale at 15 and Mills at 12, I fancy that the whole back division will be far more effective.

Agreed. I would still want Spink in that 13 slot, if he can recover from the HIA protocols in time. Unless Dan shows some improvement during the week in training, I am thinking Porter might start at 9.

Brad going off early might be a blessing, hopefully that rib knock is not too bad. We really need a real 7 though. The pack was solid today.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 05:42:30 PM »
Judging by who was out warming up today a fairly handy 7 may be available rather soon!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 05:43:19 PM »
Well, I am at the Stoop next weekend and off to The Wolseley afterwards so I am hoping for a perfect weekend....

hopwood

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 05:44:18 PM »

We’ve just beaten one of our arch rivals.
Good times.
I remember the days when Mark Denny was captain and we had a disastrous run.
So a run like this….well, guys, you’ve got to soak it up. 

I’m really, really, really excited about a fit Ryan Mills in our midfield.
Really excited.

I’m not quite sure some people realise how effective he can be.
Wasps are on a roll. A real roll.
Look at the run of results!

Obviously you can’t please everyone, but this could be a golden age for Wasps.
Enjoy every match!!

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 06:12:33 PM »
Once more did not get to watch the game (did anyone get Russian site working?). To those that did see it, where do we need to be next weekend against Quins? It sounds like inaccuracy is a bed fellow at the moment, and today we escaped due to the cards. Am i wrong in this?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 06:32:39 PM »
Once more did not get to watch the game (did anyone get Russian site working?). To those that did see it, where do we need to be next weekend against Quins? It sounds like inaccuracy is a bed fellow at the moment, and today we escaped due to the cards. Am i wrong in this?

Last week, we kept the ball and stopped kicking it aimlessly. This week we decided to go back to the kicking formula, that has never worked for us. Our field play kickers just aren't good enough most of the time. And we pushed the game way too hard, and we almost always lose the ball that way. Today was no exception. We won despite this. Just look at the possession, territory, tackles made, yards made, tackles missed stats for today. On any of these Bath were miles ahead. Neither team gave many penalties away (but we were better than Bath).

Some players were too desperate to say I should have this shirt every week. And they shouldn't, based on today. Too obsessed with offloading, when there was no offload on. Too obsessed with forcing a break, when they had no support. Making passes that were never on, to then see the ball hit the deck, go in front or behind the player, or be knocked on. Our line defence was ragged, leaving holes. Rookie mistakes being made by the best players around. Not always, but enough times to be a factor.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 07:23:05 PM »
Roko was just plain stupid and deserved the red. Hope Spink recovers quickly. Had a peek at the Bath board and there is no mitigation there. On another day Faletau could have seen yellow. After all Jacob got a red for something very similar.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 08:14:08 PM »

I forgot to say, yes, I watched it all game on that site. I use the Chrome web developer tools to edit the page and remove those HTML elements in the page that are used to create popups. Makes for an interruption free experience.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 08:16:45 PM »
As I said elsewhere -

Don't know if it has been said but it was very windy (North to South) and very cold. We strangely rarely feel such a strong wind in the bowl. Some kicks and certainly some passes could be seen to vary in direction. Lads did well in some struggling conditions - you wonder how often Jimmy misses so many kicks - both place  and to touch.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2022, 08:54:36 PM »
As I said elsewhere -

Don't know if it has been said but it was very windy (North to South) and very cold. We strangely rarely feel such a strong wind in the bowl. Some kicks and certainly some passes could be seen to vary in direction. Lads did well in some struggling conditions - you wonder how often Jimmy misses so many kicks - both place  and to touch.

Across the 3 prem games today only 12 successful conversions from 25 attempts, under 50% very low, so seems wind a factor for all kickers today