Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps make full back their number one transfer priority  (Read 4353 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps make full back their number one transfer priority
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2022, 10:41:37 AM »
Unless the position has changed, isn't a #1 pre-req of being a 15 having the ability to catch a ball? That being the case, we currently have no 15's in the squad.
I used to think Mike Brown was a dull 15 because all he could really do was catch...now I'd give anything to have him for a season or 2 (as per Shugs).
I wish I had £1 for every time I screamed "pass the ######## thing" at the TV when Mike Brown was playing for England.

That said, I agree. We need something solid at the back and his sheer grit would be nice to have around the team.

I agree that Brown was a class act and became more of a pantomime villain in the end and a lot of the grief he received was when he was put on the wing for England and that was hardly his fault. He hasn’t done anything at Newcastle so maybe he’s done now.

A similar player now in Freddie Steward, as talented and assured as a player as he is, especially for his age, that style of play is already frustrating me for England. I want more from my FB.
The flip side of that is that WLR, despite his absolute class and moments of magic, also had some defensive howlers and was not a rock at the back, same with Beale. Piutau was safer but then not as creative for others and he passed about as much as Brown.

The position is there for the taking for Umaga or Crossdale if they sort it out but I’m glad the coaches are making them work for it!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2022, 10:45:52 AM »
I think we've got to accept that we either need to pick a full-back who is defensively sound (In the mould of Brown and Steward) or one who can act as a second playmaker, has good distribution, some pace and a fairly decent boot.

Alex Goode is probably the best modern-day example of an all-round Full-Back in the Prem.  We were spoilt with Lewsey in the sense that he could also do both comfortably.  Otherwise, they tend to fall into one of the two categories above.

The Wasps DNA would favour the latter.  So i'd be careful what we wish for.

I'm not so convinced that pragmatic rugby is what most of us really want or began following Wasps for; it was supporting an underdog that punched above it's weight and often played exciting, attacking rugby.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2022, 11:18:05 AM »
I'm not so convinced that pragmatic rugby is what most of us really want or began following Wasps for; it was supporting an underdog that punched above it's weight and often played exciting, attacking rugby.

+1, That's the reason I was supprting Wasps. And why I'm rather underwhelmed with our direction this year and confused by the Mike Brown comments I've seen.

hopwood

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2022, 11:21:29 AM »
+1

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2022, 11:39:23 AM »

+1, That's the reason I was supporting Wasps. And why I'm rather underwhelmed with our direction this year and confused by the Mike Brown comments I've seen.

Agreed, but I am not confused by the Mike Brown comments. They simply express desperation. The fact is, there are so few full backs out there that would suit our DNA. I have no idea where the scouts would look for such a player. I think Anderson was the academy prospect, but that has not panned out.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:29:33 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
I've supported Wasps since they moved to Loftus Road (I lived in Shepherds Bush). I also really liked the way they played rugby - toujours de l'audace. However, as an ex front row, I never liked it when we got bullied on the pitch which happened more than I expected. I always wanted our pack to be 'nastier'. Hard to have both.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2022, 12:28:47 PM »

+1, That's the reason I was supporting Wasps. And why I'm rather underwhelmed with our direction this year and confused by the Mike Brown comments I've seen.

Agreed, but I am not confused by the Mike Brown comments. They simple express desperation. The fact is, there are so few full backs out there that would suit our DNA. I have no idea where the scouts would look for such a player. I think Anderson was the academy prospect, but that has not panned out.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, and you're right, finding a suitable full back will not be easy. Or developing one.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2022, 03:58:29 PM »

I don't know that I'd completely rule him out based on lack of distribution.
While our wingers are of average quality not passing to then probably doesn't hurt as much as it otherwise would.

His highlight performances typically came from running good supporting lines which is a key skill for both a winger and an outside centre.
Power and footwork are handy, but it's crucial to get the defensive positioning right, and that comes with training and experience.

As for Brown at full back, I can certainly see where he'd benefit us, but he's the wrong player to be championing when you're criticising someone else's lack of distribution in the same post
Erm..because MB doesn't play 13, we weren't talking about 15 in those theads mate.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2022, 04:10:02 PM »
Finding the right full back is a problem. They have to be good enough to get in and stsy on the team and yet not be so good as to be away half of the season on international duty.

That seems to scream "retired international" to me, especially with the world cup next year and players looking to get picked for their country. Can we afford to take a punt on a youngster for such a pivotal position?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2022, 06:27:56 PM »
With Crossdale and Minozzi presumably now in the squad next season, is does beg the questions - why and what quality?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2022, 12:49:45 AM »
Think Crossdale is a perfectly acceptable player. Without being unkind the fact we’ve retained Minozzi but publicly stated we want to recruit a capable 15 speaks volumes.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2022, 07:54:36 AM »
With Crossdale and Minozzi presumably now in the squad next season, is does beg the questions - why and what quality?

I think both are in the squad because both have contracts for at least another year, and neither has asked to be released from their contracts.

You could say the same about others in the squad, sadly. I wonder how many more in the remaining squad would have been going if the coaches had their way?

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2022, 09:12:18 AM »
After last night and from previous rounds a dedicated backs coach and our skills coach upping his game is our number one priority.

Pompeyman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2022, 09:39:46 AM »
No Mike Brown for me, I was also a TV screamer..Pass the ball !! However FB  is just one position we are weak, centres are also struggling and one Saffer is not enough (We are loosing 3 JG, MF and Booj). All season our back play has been stilted, disjointed and predictable. Moments of brilliance, but too many moments of blandness. Personally I like Charlie and think he will grow, so too Crossdale and Spink but we need to build fluency, unpredictability and more pace into our game plans. Oh and a decent FB would not go amiss.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2022, 09:42:59 AM »
No Mike Brown for me, I was also a TV screamer..Pass the ball !! However FB  is just one position we are weak, centres are also struggling and one Saffer is not enough (We are loosing 3 JG, MF and Booj). All season our back play has been stilted, disjointed and predictable. Moments of brilliance, but too many moments of blandness. Personally I like Charlie and think he will grow, so too Crossdale and Spink but we need to build fluency, unpredictability and more pace into our game plans. Oh and a decent FB would not go amiss.

Having a non-playing player (Mills) effectively makes that four.