Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Is it too late to get Brown?  (Read 3322 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Is it too late to get Brown?
« on: June 14, 2022, 05:40:57 PM »
Keep reading how Mike Brown is off here and there but as far as I know he’s still not signed for anyone. I’d offer him a 2 year deal in the blink of an eye. I think he’d be perfect for us at the moment. Don’t know if anyone has picked up a definite destination for him?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too late to get Brown?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 06:27:44 PM »
Couldn't agree more. Never been a fan but conversely he's just what we need, if nothing more than to highlight what a real 15 does looks like.
Of the RugbyPass transfer list, there were a few names there as 'released' that under the right conditions are interest peakers. Eg Melani Nanai..unfortunate injuries but when fit is a quality operator.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 06:44:56 PM »
Keep reading how Mike Brown is off here and there but as far as I know he’s still not signed for anyone. I’d offer him a 2 year deal in the blink of an eye. I think he’d be perfect for us at the moment. Don’t know if anyone has picked up a definite destination for him?
Not only would he provide the solidity that we'd value - well I would - he would be able to provide an example for up and coming players what they ought to be aiming at.

hopwood

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 07:10:04 PM »
+1

We need a bit of gnarly experience in our backline and around the backs in training.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 09:10:00 PM »
Ngl but this backline needs flair and energy, that's the last thing Mike Brown would bring. It's a no from me.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 09:27:48 PM »
Ngl but this backline needs flair and energy, that's the last thing Mike Brown would bring. It's a no from me.

I was going to post something similar.
We're supposedly going to have a powerful forward pack where we'll dominate (or at least get parity) at set pieces, if that's not the type of platform where you launch exciting attacks, then I don't know what is.

However, the more I thought about it, the more I remembered that Mike Brown isn't just a guy that stands at the back and catches a ball, and isn't quick enough to be an international winger.
His counter attacking play was always very strong. While he may have often sought contact, he often did it without getting isolated, and he'd often make half breaks.

If it's a Mike brown who takes a kick from the opposition full back on his 22 and converts it into a counter attack and a fast ball ruck on the half way line then it's got to be a good thing.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 09:44:19 PM »
No point in flair and energy when you have just knocked the ball on... again.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 09:54:48 PM »
Nanai would be interesting. Given an injury free run if he could dip back into his Blues form he’d be a huge asset. Presumably he’d be available on “competitive” terms as well given the current state of the game and his last year or two.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 10:19:29 PM »
I would be more than happy for him to come to us.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 10:57:18 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the clamour for a player that was just released by Newcastle as surplus for requirements and chastised by Wasps supporters as very limited in his attack play when he was in his prime?

I am happy with Minozzi, Umaga and Crossdale fighting it out.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 11:02:55 AM »
He's not exactly an exciting player, but as we seem to have abandoned exciting as a way of playing perhaps a bit of solidity at the back might be a good thing?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 11:16:39 AM »
Far too slow to play Premiership rugby.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 02:17:22 PM »
This board does make me chuckle.
When he was in his prime playing for England & Quinns he was too slow & couldn't pass, now he has been dropped by Falcons suddenly he's just what we need?

:) :) :)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 02:49:56 PM »
When he was in his prime playing for England & Quinns he was too slow & couldn't pass, now he has been dropped by Falcons suddenly he's just what we need?

:) :) :)

Not me. Too slow and doesn't pass ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 04:19:17 PM »

Glad your chuckling.
He's just what we need because we don't have a 15 can provides the basics of a 15, not because Newc dropped him.
What's slower, Mike Brown or a ball that's being fed into the scrum by the opposition scrum half in our 22..having just regained possession.
Momentum is killing us, shitty hands being the major contributor..no more so than at 15.

lets do it again for a third season?, doing the same things with the same players and expecting a different outcome. Talk about rinse and repeat. In our good season, we always had quality at FB,  Lewsey, Gissy, WLR, Piautau, Beale.. Given the latest craze if spiral bombs, we are in for a long old next season.
Lots of 'wood for the trees' going on here.