Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Over the top celebrations  (Read 1047 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Over the top celebrations
« on: June 20, 2022, 09:35:14 PM »

It's obviously quite a common theme here discussing the celebrations of certain teams.... Or maybe just 1 team.

Completely unrelated to rugby, I heard someone state that there had been official studies in handball which found that big celebrations for a goal have psychological benefits to the players of that team.

I've not been able to find a study referencing handball, but I have found this which is predominantly about football.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.innerdrive.co.uk/sports/a-sports-psychologists-guide-to-player-celebration%3fhs_amp=true

In a game of small margins, I'm sure it's these type of gains that Saracens are probably trying to tap into

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Over the top celebrations
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 10:12:50 PM »
Earl took it to a new level on Saturday. I’m fairly sure he bellowed like an excited weightlifter when the team coach arrived on time. If it does carry any benefit to the team around him I’m sure it’s offset by the effect it has on the massively irked opposition who redouble their efforts as a result.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 10:39:18 PM »
Think there’s a big difference between celebrating ( as a team) a goal/try as against doing the same for a mistake/ foul/ penalty suffered by opposition ,especially into their faces.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 11:29:39 PM »
They did not have too much to celebrate come final whistle.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 09:01:27 AM »
Best celebrations still coming from Freddie Burns, fairly sure he's still celebrating.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 09:19:54 AM »
There was a shot of Farrell after the final whistle and he just looked confused. He had a 'that was not in the script' look ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 09:40:15 AM »
For a team that blathers on endlessly [internally and to the media] about behaviour and respect, there is a marked lack of insight at Saracens.
Financial doping disrespects the entire culture of rugby. The behaviour on the pitch mirrors this.

I absolutely do not let McCall of the hook just because he seems so humble and reasonable in the media.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 09:47:09 AM »
For a team that blathers on endlessly [internally and to the media] about behaviour and respect, there is a marked lack of insight at Saracens.
Financial doping disrespects the entire culture of rugby. The behaviour on the pitch mirrors this.

I absolutely do not let McCall of the hook just because he seems so humble and reasonable in the media.

As the saying goes: A fish rots from the head down.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 10:11:29 AM »
One of the huge failings in the whole salary cap saga was the coaches escaping censure. They all knew what was happening.

Back to the OP though, I think this is something the refs have to start looking at. It's unnecessarily gloating, and more than that is slows the game down massively with the entire team coming running in to pat the front rows on the arse after a scrum. Get on with the game.

hopwood

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 10:21:58 AM »
In my field, I’ve come across the huge benefits of human touch.
And also how touch throughout a season can improve overall performance.

https://blogs.umb.edu/peterdown001/2013/05/11/does-more-in-game-contact-between-teammates-lead-to-greater-success-in-basketball/

https://www.businessinsider.com/can-touching-improve-team-performance-2011-8?r=US&IR=T

So teams that touch more, perform better.
I’m not, however, aware of the benefits of gloating in the face of others.
I haven’t seen any research into that area.
I can only assume that it’s a purposeful way of disrespecting your opponent.

So touch is good.
Being a d**k is not.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 10:39:28 AM »
In my field, I’ve come across the huge benefits of human touch.
And also how touch throughout a season can improve overall performance.

https://blogs.umb.edu/peterdown001/2013/05/11/does-more-in-game-contact-between-teammates-lead-to-greater-success-in-basketball/

https://www.businessinsider.com/can-touching-improve-team-performance-2011-8?r=US&IR=T

So teams that touch more, perform better.
I’m not, however, aware of the benefits of gloating in the face of others.
I haven’t seen any research into that area.
I can only assume that it’s a purposeful way of disrespecting your opponent.

So touch is good.
Being a d**k is not.

Aaah. So that explains the infamous Exeter 'cock tap' of a few seasons ago ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 10:53:30 AM »
Whilst I have no issue with celebrating small wins through out the game, its normal & reasonably healthy.
However when its celebrating a teams mistake, or out right in your face gloating & laughing it is disrespectful to the game.

I would like to see refs clamp down on it. In the Sarries - Quins semi, there were multiple opportunities to penalise Sarries because their gloating & screaming caused Quins to lose their cool & indulge in a bit of handbags. Sadly the officials decided to tell everyone to calm down instead of giving a penalty for the offence that caused it.

The only time I can re-call a ref dealing with this properly was Karl Dickson giving a penalty when, after a knock on, the opposition came in and patted the offending player on the head. I think it was Jono Ross of Sale, but can't be sure

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 11:23:23 AM »
I have no issues celebrating if you win a breakdown on your 5 meter line after several phases or even a scrum against the head. What I hate is Earl doing it every 5 minutes on everything.

I'm sorry but I really have a massive dislike on everything Sarries because the way they are, Earl just confirms what I think about Sarries, no class what so ever and I hate the fact that McCall still believes the club was hard done by. The day Sarries becomes an average team again the better.