Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Women  (Read 2653 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps Women
« on: July 20, 2022, 05:01:40 PM »
I had noticed an exodus of the top players at Wasps Women and Giselle Mather as coach recently, assumed financial issues but Nick Heath has just posted this:

https://twitter.com/nickheathsport/status/1549783156785659905?t=MvtUX9G7Y2nuac7BCeLJHw&s=19

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Women
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 05:51:50 PM »
This was known about. The only delay is extending the facilities at Henley (Changing Rooms, Showers etc). From what I have seen a fair extension but the land is there.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 07:03:18 PM »
This was known about. The only delay is extending the facilities at Henley (Changing Rooms, Showers etc). From what I have seen a fair extension but the land is there.

Knew there was a move towards it being more based in Coventry  particularly the training part didn't realise it was a wholesale move like it reads here.

Going to be a tough season for them this year though ahead of that and have to look to invest and  recruit heavily for the season after especially as premiership places are reassessed at the end of it. Tigers also setting up locally as well last season and Saints linking with Loughborough Lightning plus Worcester well established.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 07:31:59 PM »

Knew there was a move towards it being more based in Coventry  particularly the training part didn't realise it was a wholesale move like it reads here.

Going to be a tough season for them this year though ahead of that and have to look to invest and  recruit heavily for the season after especially as premiership places are reassessed at the end of it. Tigers also setting up locally as well last season and Saints linking with Loughborough Lightning plus Worcester well established.

Yes - I think they are too late to the party. However they have, apparently, had fairly successful Womens Rugby Camps in the area - time will tell.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 07:50:51 PM »

Yes - I think they are too late to the party. However they have, apparently, had fairly successful Womens Rugby Camps in the area - time will tell.

The girls rugby camps have been good, my daughter has been, but only odd day here and there. My daughter has also been to the Worcester ones which are multiple days and have significantly higher attendance. Also a lot the top u18 female players in Coventry are now going to Hartpury college for education and rugby, another top club not far away.
Still the best way to keep your premier 15s place is finish in the top 6 which guarantees it without any sort of review process also think I made a mistake in my earlier post and retendering is end of this season before the move and looking at Wasps loss of players versus others recruitment a guaranteed place looks unlikely.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 08:03:09 PM »
Thanks for that.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 08:10:20 PM »
Once they’re Coventry based I hope we start to see some double headers with the Ladies game first.

It will provide an incentive for those of have a journey from hell to make more of an effort. 

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 08:15:38 PM »
Once they’re Coventry based I hope we start to see some double headers with the Ladies game first.

It will provide an incentive for those of have a journey from hell to make more of an effort.

That's why it is so important they are still in Premier 15 top league when the move happens, double headers with Quins, Sarries etc will attract crowds, games in the second tier less likely too.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 03:14:39 PM »
Giselle Mather to Ealing Trailfinders women's rugby, another club enters the Premier 15s discussion for next retendering.

http://www.ealingtrailfinders.com/news/giselle-mather-becomes-ealing-trailfinders

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 03:22:32 PM »

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 04:52:56 PM »
Best wishes to LJ.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 04:54:14 PM »
Abby Dow staying for at least another season thankfully.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 05:19:24 PM »
Abby Dow staying for at least another season thankfully.

Almost the only one

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »
Almost the only one

Apart form all the other re-signings they've announced:
Bryony Cleall
Meg Jones
Amy Wilson-Hardy
Celia Quansah etc etc.

Remember the womens game is very different, players move all the time. Its much more a game of musical chairs than the men's game

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
Almost the only one

Apart form all the other re-signings they've announced:
Bryony Cleall
Meg Jones
Amy Wilson-Hardy
Celia Quansah etc etc.

Remember the womens game is very different, players move all the time. Its much more a game of musical chairs than the men's game

Hints of more to come

https://twitter.com/waspswomen/status/1554181896640290817?t=JpQJh6Vr0qQ4zeEO2--mhw&s=19