Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 25161 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2022, 02:24:47 PM »
So at the risk of spoiling everyone's fun repeals saying the same things again and again let's look at what we actually know about the pitch.

1) It's a mess.
2) That mess is caused by a combination of a big concert that had been rescheduled from lockdown, the hottest heatwave on record, and the commonwealth games.
3) Both Wasps and CCFC were fully aware of the above points with the exception of the heatwave.
4) Because of Rammstein and CG it wasn't feasible to lay a new pitch that would have been playable. They need love to grow, not massive overuse.
5) Football and Rugby need different things from a pitch. What works for one might not work for the other. It is hard work to maintain a surface that works well for both.
6) The current surface is a hybrid.

What I suspect we will see is a bunch of remedial work, stitching etc to attempt to get us through to a point where a new surface can be reasonably relaid.

I also suspect that the current uproar is deliberate, all parties knew exactly what the situation was going in to it. And so I have to ask what it is for. Is there something happening that we aren't supposed to be looking at? Are SISU about to screw over the CCFC fans again and they are attempting to create a distraction?

Anyway, time will tell I guess.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 02:31:20 PM by Vespula Vulgaris »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2022, 02:28:24 PM »
You missed one...the EFL refused CCFC's request to start with a string of away games to allow the pitch to recover.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2022, 02:59:05 PM »
Also for the 7s the pitch (grassed area) was lengthened and widened - no idea why.
Let me tell you something cucumber

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2022, 03:01:18 PM »
Unfortunately for you and SBsam you have only come on to post about one thing.
Suspicion is bound to be raised we are human after all.

You know, I actually agree with this... up to a point. (I even said last week that with emotions running high due to the current situation, I understand why the regulars would have their guards up and be suspicious of newcomers.)

That said, I created this account last December, well before the bond default in May caused me to become more active. If I were just an SBT poster here on a wind-up, I would've had to plan ahead to quite a significant extent :)

Yes, I've largely come to talk about "one thing", but that's just because it's bothering me - instead of looking forward to the start of the new season, I find myself fretting about the Club's future.
It's a worry for both sets of fans.Its a shame because Coventry is a sports mad city.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2022, 03:01:53 PM »
Also for the 7s the pitch (grassed area) was lengthened and widened - no idea why.
Probably so teams can warm up on grass before the next match.

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2022, 03:21:02 PM »
You missed one...the EFL refused CCFC's request to start with a string of away games to allow the pitch to recover.

I am not sure that was an accurate statement by the Club

I suspect it has as much to do with Cash Flow. Ticketmaster do not release ST money until games are played so weeks without income would be unsustainable
Please don't lie on the grass, unless accompanied by a fellow,
(May I be so bold as to suggest Othello)
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun they say
Beagling on the downs Oh please come they say
Rugger is the tops a game for men they say

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2022, 03:27:33 PM »

I suspect it has as much to do with Cash Flow. Ticketmaster do not release ST money until games are played so weeks without income would be unsustainable
Both clubs have been dancing with the devil.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2022, 03:29:27 PM »

And yet CCFC offered to help with wasps cash flow problems to get a new pitch laid.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2022, 03:33:08 PM »

And yet CCFC offered to help with wasps cash flow problems to get a new pitch laid.
Everybody knows there hasn't been the time to do it this summer.
It was an offer CCFC would be knocked back but looks good in the local rag.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2022, 03:35:00 PM »

Knowing full well it couldn't be accepted as a new pitch is impossible at this stage in the pre-season. But it gives the rabid anti wasps brigade another hook to hang their resentment on.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2022, 03:38:50 PM »

Everybody knows there hasn't been the time to do it this summer.
It was an offer CCFC would be knocked back but looks good in the local rag.

Now being reported that the football club are having to fund repairs and this will be knocked off future rent payments as Wasps RFC have no funds to deal with the issue - games hope to recommence at the end of the month

MarleyWasp

« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2022, 03:39:47 PM »
We also don't know how much the offer was for. For example, I put in an offer on a $35m penthouse in downtown Vancouver last night. Ok I did it by messaging the Estate Agent on Instagram and offered the equivalent of $78 and a $35 dollar bottle of wine, but it's still an offer. (If you don't ask...)

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2022, 03:40:53 PM »
We also don't know how much the offer was for. For example, I put in an offer on a $35m penthouse in downtown Vancouver last night. Ok I did it by messaging the Estate Agent on Instagram and offered the equivalent of $78 and a $35 dollar bottle of wine, but it's still an offer. (If you don't ask...)

The football club are upfronting the repair costs as has now been reported on the BBC

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2022, 03:51:59 PM »

The football club are upfronting the repair costs as has now been reported on the BBC

You believe the BBC?
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2022, 03:52:20 PM »
Repair is a different cost envelope to re-laying. I suspect that somewhere in the bond negotiations potential re-financer(s) have a grip on expenditure in so much as a plan behind it must not be breached.