Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Squad 22/23  (Read 4531 times)

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Squad 22/23
« on: August 16, 2022, 09:40:41 AM »
So bit of a change from the pitch / finances discussion... this is what the squad looks like for this season, I think. See if I've missed anyone, and then it's a "first game XXIII" selection game!

1. West, Harris, Martinez, Hislop
2. Cruse, Frost, Oghre, (Van Vuuren)?
3. Koch, Alo, Millar-Mills, Ryan
4. Launch, McDonald, Dodson (injury cover)
5. Stooke (inj.), Cardall, Theo
6. Shields, Nemo
7. JW, Morris
8. TW, Alfie, Curran

9.  Dobby, Porter, Wusty, Hougaard (okay, he's a winger too :) )
10. Umaga (inj.), Atkinson, Haydon-Wood
11. Bertie, Mehson
12. Burger, Mills, Hartley
13. Spink, Simonds
14. Kibirige, Paolo
15. Crossdale, Minozzi

Anyone I've missed? We still look light at centre for me (lot of reliance on Mills not being made of glass this time around) and despite the cover at lock it's still a concern until ES is fit.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:02:32 AM by BlackAndGoldSunglasses »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Squad 22/23
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 09:54:50 AM »
If 'inj' means injured, then stick it to Umaga, as he is out for a while.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 09:57:54 AM »
If 'inj' means injured, then stick it to Umaga, as he is out for a while.

Yeah, forgot about that. MCL - any news on when he might be back?

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 10:20:40 AM »
I know I'm just a football fan ( ;)), but I'd be inclined to count Hougaard as a wing rather than a 9.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 10:46:32 AM »
1. West
2. Oghre
3. Alo
4. Launchbury
5. Cardell
6. Shields
7. J Willis
8. T Willis (Lee picks Alfie)
9. Robson
10. Atkinson
11. Bassett
12. Berger
13. Spink
14. Paolo
15. Crossdale

I’d go with Tom at 8 but think Lee will pick Alfie. Think Alo will get the nod to start with he deserves it after last season’s improvements and Koch won’t be up to speed
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 10:48:37 AM by Covkid40 »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 10:51:50 AM »
Curran is probably going to be 6 or 7 rather than 8. From what I’ve seen we still have Van Vuuren at hooker.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 10:58:25 AM »
Great post - just for a change of pace!

I might be a bit pedantic with some of your back row positioning but it’s not a massive concern.

The next cabs off the rank in the academy make for an interesting side note when the squad looks a little light.

You’d expect Alfie Bell to get some gametime somewhere this year and 6ft8 homegrown locks are pretty hard to come by.
Tunney, Cripps, Fisilau and Fin Brown will all be just behind Curran, waiting in the wings, Brown has the size for 6 and will get some experience playing at Moseley this year - the other 3 might all end up at 7 eventually so not sure if all will push on to the senior squad.
Mario Pichardie has also potentially left, have seen that he released a highlights video a while back and hasn’t appeared in any of the behind the scenes footage.

Ma’asi White will get some more experience in the centres this year and although I’ve not seen him play, Feyi-Waboso was thought highly of at Cardiff and might be next in line for a run on the wing if we’re very short, Bacon has featured before and Rakodrava looks to have some potential.

In the props with Nearchou, Pleasants, Hardwick and McArthur we also look well set for the future.

The academy is definitely bearing fruit but it’s time for these guys to take squad positions now and be solid options making us look stronger on paper - especially in the centres.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 03:06:12 PM by JonnyD »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 11:15:52 AM »
1. West
2. Oghre
3. Alo
4. Launchbury
5. Cardell
6. Shields
7. J Willis
8. T Willis (Lee picks Alfie)
9. Robson
10. Atkinson
11. Bassett
12. Berger
13. Spink
14. Paolo
15. Crossdale

Matches my first XV to start - I think that backrow is better than England's...(low bar?) and I'd like Alfie to get super sub duties to gain experience and earn his place on the pitch. He'll start lots of matches if we can keep him away from Eddie....

I'm hoping the news on Mills is positive as the few times he's played, he's shown class and I hope that we're looking to get those wingers involved more and nearer the breakdown - something we've not really been "hitting" since our Prem final season.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 11:30:39 AM »
Talking fine margins but for me Cruse is still our best hooker. And if we’re talking a fully available squad surely Koch has to start. Completely agree re Cardall - I think he’s outstanding.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »
If we can avoid serious injuries in the pack (famous last words!) then I think that looks pretty strong especially the Stooke is back.

I agree re Tim (Cardall) as he and Theo have a good opportunity in the first few weeks. I don't know much about McDonald, but he is experienced so should be decent as well.

Back row looks very strong at this stage.

If the backs can get decent quick ball there are some good options there. A fit and confident Dobbie and Porter are a very good mix.

If we can "gel" and get some confidence early on it could be interesting.

Yes - there are question marks around the centres as we haven't seen Odendaal at all or much of Mills, but then neither have the Oppo either.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 11:58:31 AM »
laying the full 23 game, as BAGS suggested, I think we'll see:

1. West
2. Cruse
3. Alo
4. Launchbury
5. Cardell
6. Shields
7. J Willis
8. T Willis
9. Robson
10. Atkinson
11. Bassett
12. Berger
13. Spink
14. Paolo
15. Crossdale

16. Frost
17. Martinez
18. Koch
19. Theo
20. Barbeary
21. Porter
22. WHW
23. Minozzi

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
Talking fine margins but for me Cruse is still our best hooker. And if we’re talking a fully available squad surely Koch has to start. Completely agree re Cardall - I think he’s outstanding.
Don’t disagree with the Koch comment just think after playing for SA and the mandatory rest afterwards not sure he will be fully up to speed with his team mates and That’s why I think Alo will start the season. As for hookers I don’t think there is a lot to choose between all 3, I think Oghre is just more mobile around the pitch than Cruse and Frost, Cruse and Frost are better defensively than Oghre and I think Frost is more powerful with ball in hand than Cruse and Oghre. Could be horses for courses depending on the opposition, nice problem to have for a change
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 12:26:23 PM by Covkid40 »

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 12:43:40 PM »
For what it's worth, I think Biyi starts the season in pole position for the number 3 shirt. Finished last season very strongly, rewarded(?) with a call up to the Eng training squad, and looks in seriously good shape from the pre-season videos. Not seen anything of Ryan in Wasps colours yet, I think?

Think we lack a little size in the centres, with Booj having departed. We had Mala and Booj who both offered some serious physicality last season - now we've got Odendaal (who does look a fair unit, it has to be said).

For me the pack looks very strong, with a lot of interchangeability (is that a word?) without a noticeable drop off.

The injury list could be key, with what's a smaller squad than we've had in the last couple of seasons...

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 12:47:19 PM »
pedantic

I recognise that Shibboleth.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 12:54:17 PM »
Koch will be our end of season/ European player. If as has been suggested he comes back into contention in December then he will be handy for the 6N and if we get through to the next stage of Europe.
Let me tell you something cucumber