Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 4762 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts
« on: September 11, 2022, 05:01:20 PM »
A game of two halves.

A first 40 to remember, a second forty to never forget.

New season, same mental fragility remains.

First up, well done Gloucester, were under the pump throughout that first forty, whist we looked accurate, precise and deserved our first half lead. However Gloucester absolutely spun the momentum in the second forty. Rees Zammits pitch length try was a fantastic sprint. But it was how they took the momentum, kept it and turned the screw. We shipped points, then penalties and cards. It was a rugby lesson, and the fact our shape, discipline and strength evaporated is simply due to Gloucester being better.

Despite it being a new season old problems remain. When we go off the boil we go off spectacularly. No professional team should be giving up these size leads and expect to be top 8, let alone pushing for Europe. Is it time to get the psychologists in because when momentum shifts we do not seem to have the leadership or ability to correct it.

As an aside though, as good as Gloucesters team are their supporters leave a lot to be desired. The shed did not lift them -so anyone stating otherwise needs to rewatch the game- It was Gloucester that roused them. It was quiet as a grave when they were losing, and boos were heard, and the "you dont know what you're doing" aimed at sir rang aplenty. Yet when they were winning the "same old Wasps always cheating" rang around on more than one occasion. This is the behaviour of football fans not rugby. It was as unpalatable and uncalled for & did their club a complete disservice. That however should not detract one second from their teams wonderful 2nd half performance and deserved win.

For us, there are glimmers there to be hopeful for. Certainly there were moments of play that can give us hope. Players like MacDonald, Atkinson, Ryan and Odedaal look hugely promising.

This one hurts but the result is the right one.

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 05:03:17 PM »
Atkinson looks class. And our second half discipline was diabolical.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 05:09:14 PM »
Glos should never have been that poor in the first half ditto us for the 2nd. Our scrum needs to be much better and we need to find a way to regather and reset when things are going against us.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 05:09:28 PM »
Yep it certainly did look familiar, we lose our discipline so badly, some of it is lazy play, with is just not acceptable. I wonder how often this will happen this season

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 05:09:43 PM »
New players acquitted themselves well. Our second half forwards seemed to brain fart themselves out of the win.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 05:12:26 PM »
Frustrating that Glaws didn’t need to work hard to earn those points.

Our indiscipline, their momentum and then the momentum giving them the edge with the ref and everything shifts.

Seriously hope Macdonald and Brad are not out next week and fingers crossed Minozzi isn’t out for too long

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 05:13:11 PM »
Although the end emotion is frustration I think in the cold light of day there are loads of positives. Ryan, Cruse, T Willis. Centre pairing looks great - Odendaal brilliant. Atkinson was excellent as was Robson (thought he went off to early). Discipline went and we didn’t have cool heads in Robson and Shields to calm us down. Got to cut out the stupid penalties (how many times do we say that). But overall I think there are huge positives. We can’t seem to get through a game without serious looking injuries. Probably still should have won at the end and a LBP. Good signs for the rest of the season.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 05:14:07 PM »
There were skill problems last year, but a common theme was the way we went in and out of matches, discipline, shape, play all fell apart and it led to us losing more than winning. When you go 39 - 14 ahead with 19 minutes to go at Irish and end up drawing 42 all you know their is something missing in the mindset. Pressure and momentum changes throughout matches, and when the momentum goes against you it takes a psychological effort to keep heads clear, leading voices heard and keeping shape and trust in your game plan. We are missing that. TCUP is a well used term from Sir Clive Woodwards England days, but it is still so pertinent.

This will hurt.....it should hurt, because it is well deserved. This pain now needs to be used to prevent it happening again.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 05:15:59 PM »
Although the end emotion is frustration I think in the cold light of day there are loads of positives. Ryan, Cruse, T Willis. Centre pairing looks great - Odendaal brilliant. Atkinson was excellent as was Robson (thought he went off to early). Discipline went and we didn’t have cool heads in Robson and Shields to calm us down. Got to cut out the stupid penalties (how many times do we say that). But overall I think there are huge positives. We can’t seem to get through a game without serious looking injuries. Probably still should have won at the end and a LBP. Good signs for the rest of the season.

I agree with all of this Shugs. However I would add the game is as psychological as it is physical, and currently we are missing the mental fortitude to reinforce the muscular element.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 05:18:26 PM »
37 minutes before the first penalty given away.
We are still a 40 minute team.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 05:27:19 PM »
A game of fine margins indeed.  A somewhat lucky bounce and an opportunist try by the fastest player on the pitch (though Ali wasn't going backwards) and the momentum switched Gloucester's way. Brad going off injured set the alarm bells ringing, as he would, I believe, have held us together. Dobby came off at 54 mins. Did he have a knock? Otherwise (IMO) his experience would also have calmed things down.

I didn't actually expect anything from this game. So to lose by 6 points and take 1 point is a surprise. Frustrated though.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 05:33:55 PM »
My comments this morning on the Morning All post :

Yesterday's matches were a bit see-saw at times. I fancy that ours could be today. Irrespective of the outcome I just want us to exhibit competence and cohesion in all parts of out game. Demonstrate that the building blocks are in place for the season ahead.

Clearly, we are no further forward than we were at the end of the last season. Our ability to throw a game away when holding a significant advantage, manifests itself yet again. Competence and cohesion went out of the window at HT.

First game. Players stilll not available and more injuries. Nothing changes there.

I said last season we needed sports shrink to get into our players heads. It looks like it remains a very real need.

Lee and the coaching team have a lot of work to do before Bristol camp up at the CBS, as Genge and his mates will be relishing it.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 05:43:09 PM »
... and crossdale is even faster than I realised

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 05:49:15 PM »
I said last season we needed sports shrink to get into our players heads.

Jeesus. You'll want a hypnotist in the dressing room next :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 05:59:15 PM »
For me the second try conceded took the wind out of our sails. The first try - things like that can happen when you have a player with that much pace.

The second try seemed to bring back the "oh no, it's happening again" mentality.

As for lacking leadership after Shields went off, isn't Launch sufficiently experienced to rein them in?