Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 4673 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2022, 08:06:52 AM »
So in essence can we reasonably say that the less the coaching team tells the players what to do the better they perform?

I suspect so, yes.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2022, 08:42:13 AM »
It is simple, if you try a miracle offload again you will be taken off. Don’t care if it’s in the 1st minute you will be off.

The players are trying to hard as they are so poorly coached, they is no basic game plan. The players can’t just go to a basic way of playing as it doesn’t seem to be drilled into them at training.

A professional rugby team should be able to do basics in their sleep, just go through simple phases in training so it’s just a natural thing for the players. I just don’t understand why Lee isn’t telling the players to stop trying the miracle offload.

Also play your best players in their best position. This is a professional sport not interested in upsetting players because they’re not picked. If you want to be picked play better
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 04:19:53 PM by Westy68 »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2022, 02:38:52 PM »
There is little difference in age between Alfie and Tom Willis. Alfie is 22 on October 5 and Tom is 23 until January 18.   

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2022, 07:17:42 PM »
Conversely there is a wealth of difference between Tom and Alfie when it comes to skills at 8.  Alfie just doesn't cut the mustard at that position.  I don't wish to be harsh on Alfie  but I do wonder if he plays for the team or for his personal glory, ie  don't hug the ball - pass the ruddy thing.  The player I see as the  future for Wasps is Tom.  I can't see  Alfie as a Captain, tho' I can see that he is a brilliantly fantastic player.  I would despair if we lost Tom through our own stupidity.                                                                                     

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2022, 07:29:06 PM »

I really don't think Alfie is playing for personal glory.
He's had lots of success in being tackles, not just at age grade rugby, but also senior rugby.
You want your players to back themselves, but you also want them to have good decision making.

Alfie is backing himself, but also needs to improve his decision making.

I do wonder why Alfie isn't seen as a 6, as well as an 8. Most 8s can do a job at 6 as there is crossover in the skills.
Tom makes the best decisions off the best of the scrum, Alfie can be destructive with the ball in open play.
Alfie would still get his hands on the ball, but wouldn't have to worry about scrum control or making the right decision of when to pick and go

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2022, 09:36:44 PM »
I do wonder why Alfie isn't seen as a 6, as well as an 8. Most 8s can do a job at 6 as there is crossover in the skills.
Tom makes the best decisions off the best of the scrum, Alfie can be destructive with the ball in open play.
Alfie would still get his hands on the ball, but wouldn't have to worry about scrum control or making the right decision of when to pick and go

Both Alfie and Tom weigh much the same yet Tom is 3 inches taller. Apart from anything else, Tom is (IMO) a better physical fit at 8 than Alfie. He is better in the lineout also. I don't think Alf offers anything in the lineout.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 07:23:24 AM »
6878 bums on seats

According to RiL
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2022, 07:27:03 AM »
6878 bums on seats

According to RiL

I noticed that as well. Gates seem down all round in the GP.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2022, 11:53:11 AM »
Very very few Bristol fans compared to last year too. Every club is suffering from reduced crowds, Wasps unique circumstances are making things doubly tough.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2022, 11:54:14 AM »
RE Tom Willis https://twitter.com/OptaJonny/status/1572160031344189447?s=20&t=UP6bLoCvKlEYW_FzkbyV7A

"10 - Tom Willis beat 10 defenders against Bristol, more than any other player in Round 2 of the Premiership and the most by a forward in a
@premrugby
 match since Willis himself beat 13 against Quins in February 2022. Stinging."

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2022, 12:15:26 PM »
6878 bums on seats

According to RiL

That's barely 20% capacity, and season ticket holders could bring a friend for free on Saturday too.
How many STHs do we have now?
How many of the rest were paid for?
I know we'll probably never know the answers to these questions, but it is a massive concern.  The atmosphere on Saturday was non-existent, and can't help the players. 

Wasps fans broadly fit into 2 categories:
1: Long standing supporters who continue to travel up to 200 miles/4 hours round trip for a home game.
2: Relatively recently converted Coventry locals who aren't as invested in the club. (With apologies to some who I'm sure don't fit that description, but this remains a fact for many.)

Unfortunately both of these categories are susceptible to disinterest when the match day experience stops being fun.  Poor catering provision/service; long queues due to lack of open turnstiles; no fan village or any pre/post match activity; lack of atmosphere; and of course disappointing performances and results on the pitch.  I certainly went home on Saturday wondering more than I ever have since the move to Coventry whether it was actually worth the time and expense.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2022, 12:39:31 PM »
The product on the pitch has to be considered as a contributory factor, though.

I imagine any Wasps fan who made it to the game on Saturday would be considering the wisdom of doing it again, so poor were we. An upturn in performance - just doing the bloody basics right - will draw in more "casual fans" who won't necessarily turn up week in, week out regardless.

Also, I know it goes against all financial sense, and the salary cap is a blocker, but a big name signing puts bums on seats. A Radradra, a Piutau, a Genge...

The atmosphere will never be great in a stadium which, when all is said and done, is too big for a Prem Rugby club.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2022, 12:46:14 PM »
6878 bums on seats

According to RiL

That's barely 20% capacity, and season ticket holders could bring a friend for free on Saturday too.
How many STHs do we have now?
How many of the rest were paid for?
I know we'll probably never know the answers to these questions, but it is a massive concern.  The atmosphere on Saturday was non-existent, and can't help the players. 

Wasps fans broadly fit into 2 categories:
1: Long standing supporters who continue to travel up to 200 miles/4 hours round trip for a home game.
2: Relatively recently converted Coventry locals who aren't as invested in the club. (With apologies to some who I'm sure don't fit that description, but this remains a fact for many.)

Unfortunately both of these categories are susceptible to disinterest when the match day experience stops being fun.  Poor catering provision/service; long queues due to lack of open turnstiles; no fan village or any pre/post match activity; lack of atmosphere; and of course disappointing performances and results on the pitch.  I certainly went home on Saturday wondering more than I ever have since the move to Coventry whether it was actually worth the time and expense.

Add to that the increased cost of living as further dis-incentive.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2022, 01:55:50 PM »
Slim ... agree  with your  last three entries above absolutely.  BaGS  -  yes, Mr W and I went on Saturday, and we will go to the next Home match (maybe pus another)  but sadly not to Friday's match.   Too many steps in Bath;  wheelchair  doesn't like them!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2022, 03:42:56 PM »
For 'pus' (euch)  read 'plus'.